10. DANCING

Outer Banks, the vanJuly, 14th1:56pm

July, 14th
1:56pm

"And welcome to Kook-landia," JJ spoke up, making all of his friends laugh.

I smiled softly but all I could think of was what had happened earlier this morning and how Rafe Cameron had the power of ruining my summer, and maybe more. How he made it to always be in my head but not for the good reasons. I looked through the window, not paying attention to the words my friends were saying, and I realised I wasn't paying attention to them when I felt an hand on my shoulder, which led me to focus back on who was sitting next to me. "You good?" Kiara asked me.

I nodded, faking a smile, as the van was soon parked near the place where JJ was working. I struggled to believe he got to work in such a fancy place and actually wanted to, but it wasn't my business and since he was apparently mad at me for reasons I ignored, I wouldn't ask him. I still didn't know why he had became so distant after what had happened in the cabin and even though I had other things to think of, I couldn't stop thinking that maybe I had done something wrong. I didn't always realise when I said or did things hurtful so I just tried to figure out what could have possibly hurt JJ on the previous night but I didn't seem to find out.

"Alright, keep a look out, we're behind enemy lines," JJ told us, grabbing the gun that was in the glovebox.

"JJ, not again," I sighed.

"Yo come on man, put it back," John B told his best friend who kept admiring the metallic object. "JJ!"

"What? you can never be too careful!" the blonde boy told us as if it would somehow convince us that bringing the gun where he worked was a good idea.

"I predict that bringing a gun to a four star hotel will likely cause more problems than they solve," Pope reasoned him.

Kiara reached out for the gun from the back seat she was still sat on and grabbed the top of it, which made my heart freeze because I just hated when people touched guns because part of me believed it wasn't safe and an accident could happen any minute. "I swear to God I'm gonna throw that thing in the ocean JJ, put it back!" she argued.

JJ muttered stupid things about not grabbing the gun like this and we all got out of the van, making our way inside the hotel JJ knew very well, better than I ever thought a Pogue would, especially him. "Can't forget my badge. I'm a professional busboy," he claimed proudly and I found it cute.

"So where are we going?" Pope asked.

"We're getting on the internet because only rich people have electricity right now. This way," JJ guided us quickly through the long corridors. "Andrew! Mama L! Good to see you!"

JJ stole that lady some of the food she was probably about to serve to customers so she yelled at him and we slightly laughed, as we walked into a room filled with computers. Pope was for sure the first one to reach the computers, obvious relief spread over his face, as his hands touched one of the internet connected devices. "Sweet Lord, the Internet, I've missed you," he stated.