31. THE PHANTOM

Outer Banks, The Cut
July 22nd, 2020
1:37pm

"We really don't have to do this," I told my boyfriend as we entered the warehouse in which his father's boat was.

A sigh escaped his throat and he threw me a glance full of reproaches. "Lauren! Just- please," he tried to stay calm but his tone was still slightly rude.

I wasn't hurt in any way by how he talked to me because I knew he was just anxious and even though he didn't tell me much about what had happened at his house, I was sure his dad had not been sweat and tender with him. I saw he felt bad for almost shouting at me so instead of apologising, he just grabbed my hand and kissed it. "We should hurry, Pope will be here any minute," I told him, and he agreed.

He removed the tarpaulin which was protecting the boat and I helped him, pulling on the ropes. "What will you tell your dad, when he'll notice the boat is gone?" I asked him, walking over to him.

"Honestly, I don't know. He'll ask me for money, and I'll find it," he shrugged.

"I'll help," I placed my hand on his arm.

He drew his attention on me and shook his head, declining my offer. "It would make of me an awful boyfriend to use you for your money baby," he declared.

I chuckled and since we heard some noise coming from the entrance, I walked towards it, quickly. "Pope! Finally," I left out.

I expected to see Pope's figure approaching us, but instead, I perceived the man I had been fearing for so long walking in, but what scared me even more, was that he wasn't alone. Rafe and Barry approached us and I stepped back, looking at JJ, who was far from knowing what was happening. "Well, hello there," Rafe greeted.

"J-JJ," I managed to leave out, in fear.

My boyfriend, probably confused by the outburst of fear coming out of my mouth, jogged over to me and whitened when he noticed the two men walking determined in our direction. Barry ran to JJ and Rafe focused on me, which was honestly the best scenario out of all the devastating ones. Rafe wouldn't hurt me as much as Barry would have, and JJ would destroy Barry, I just knew it. "Did I interrupt something?" Rafe smirked.

"What are you doing here?" I asked him, not stepping back anymore since I had to face him at some point.

He smirked and when I heard JJ scream in pain and being thrown on the floor, I turned to stare at him. Rafe grabbed my arm to keep me with him, but I tried so hard to fight against his tight grip. "I just want to talk, you know, I heard some shit about you that I don't appreciate," he expressed.

"Like what?" I challenged as his fingers around my already swollen wrist kept hurting me more and more each second. "Rafe please, it hurts"

"Oh it hurts?" he chuckled while I stared at my boyfriend fighting with Barry. "Give me your phone, erase that recording now"

His fingers wrapped my wrist even more tightly and it hurt me so bad that I screamed in pain, shaking my head. "I-I don't have my phone," I admitted, which was half-true, since it was in the car right outside.

"I see," Rafe chuckled even more.

I was so scared that he'd hit me, but I was even more terrified every single time I heard JJ's whimpers, reminding me he was in pain. Rafe didn't hurt me more, he didn't twist my arm or punch me, like he would have, if I was someone else. "What do you want Rafe?" I asked, fear dropping out of my voice.

"You won't get away with it just because you're my girl," he voiced, which made my blood boil in my veins.

I used my free hand to slap him across the face, so upset he referred to me as his girl still. "I'm not your girl Rafe, you're a murderer, I don't date murderers," I slyly spat at his face.