𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚃𝚑𝚒𝚛𝚝𝚢-𝙾𝚗𝚎

Gabriela's POV:

I'm in the living room and mom and I are watching Brooklyn Nine-Nine, as it's one of our comfort shows. Mom and I first watched it together after dad left, and ever since then it's just been one of our favourite shows to watch.

Whenever something is going wrong in our lives, we watch Brooklyn Nine-Nine and whatever we're going through in that moment, suddenly disappears and all Mum and I feel is happiness.

Mum's phone rings and she pauses the show.

"Ugh, this is one of my moments of Gina. I guess I'll get more snacks" I say in an annoyed tone, as I go to the kitchen.

She ignores my antics, and just answers the phone.

"Gabriela" My mum says. Her voice startles me because she never calls me by full name, she's always called be my nicknames and never my name. I walk back to the living room, and the look on her face makes me nervous. I really didn't like the look on her face. Not by one bit.

I'm more focused by the look on her face, that I don't notice the way she's holding her phone. She's pointing the phone towards me.

"Who is it?" I ask.

"It's Detective Jones" My mum says.

I take the phone away from my mum, my hands trembling.

"Hello?" I say into the phone.

"Miss Amrani?" The detective on the other end asks me.

"Yes. This is me." I say, as I'm starting to panic even more

"Hello, this is Detective Jones." She says with a calm voice, but I can sense a hint of anxiety.

It's silent for a bit because I don't know wether I should say something or not, but she finally breaks that silence.

"So I have some information to share with you. I've already talked to your mum about this, but I'd also like to you about it incase you have any questions."

"Okay" I softly say.

"So the first thing I'd like to say, is that your case has unfortunately been dismissed by The Crown Prosecution Service. Meaning, the aggravated sexual assault charges have been dropped." She says nonchalantly. Too nonchalant for my liking. Because how can you give me news like this, and not show any ounce of emotion in your voice?

Her words hurt so much, that I start to feel physically sick.

"Why?" I manage to ask, as tears start forming in my eyes.

She clears her throat before answering me. "There were multiple reasons. One of them being that there was no rape kits done on the nights of the alleged rapes. Since this is needed in court as evidence, it would have made things more difficult for the prosecution at trial"

I don't have any words to describe how I'm feeling right now. I don't even think I know any words that describe how I'm feeling. The chilling confirmation of my worst fear when I reported him. I knew this would happen. I knew it. I knew I would never get the justice I deserve. I knew it.

"Miss Amrani?" Detective Jones says after a few moments of silence.

"Yes" I say, confirming that I'm still on the line.

"There's another reason why I called" She says, her voice sounding so serious.

"Okay" I can't imagine what's worse than this.

"Kai Webber died in a car accident last night. His parents confirmed it today."

That son of a bitch.

I drop the phone in shock. I turn to my mum, who's looking at me with such pitiful eyes.

I hear giggles coming from my mouth. Before realizing, that I am in fact giggling. My giggles don't last for long, because my giggles turn into uncontrollable laughter.

My mum wraps her arms around me, and the laughter slowly fades into sobs.

Deep, messy, hysterical, chest heaving...sobs.