*¬*Chapter Seven*¬*

Laying in bed after jolting awake from another horrible dream, I'm staring at the ceiling trying to comprehend the little information that Myra gave to me about myself. None of it was helpful. A curse? But why? Groaning, I roll over and finally sit up, seeing the plate of, hopefully, still warm food resting there. Reaching for it, I flinch at the tugging feeling in my arm and look down at it, only to see that it's been bandaged.
Arrow. I shake my head and make a note to thank her later.

Taking the tray from my desk, I place it on my lap and take the lid off, sighing that the delicious smell that comes wafting from it. Inside the container I see steamed carrots, fried peppers, some brown rice and steak. It's been seared perfectly and seasoned well. My mouth waters. Along with the dish there's a still warm bun and a small dollop of butter.

My stomach growls, "I'm famished." I mumble to myself. Grabbing the fork I dig into my meal sighing in happiness.

"I'm glad to see you're enjoying the meal." Startling, I nearly drop a forkful of my meal before whipping my head in the direction of the voice. "God, you scared me. Don't you know how to knock?"

He smirks at me, his lips quirking up to the side. "Apologies, didn't think I had to knock in my own home."

I frown, then pause when I realize who it is at my door. "Augustus, what do you want?" He grins at me, "Why sweetheart, I'm simply here checking in on you." My appetite suddenly vanishes, "No you're not. For all you care, I could die and you'd be happy."

He slaps a hand against his chest in mock hurt, "Ouch. Princess, I'm insulted that you think so lowly of me." Rolling my eyes, I go back to my meal and ask him once more, "What do you want?"

Snorting, his footsteps enter the room, striding for my bed. My heartbeat skips and not in a good way. I can feel the anxiety coming over me, the fear of wondering if he's going to assault me again. But he stops a foot away from me, "Seriously Althea, I'm not going to hurt you. I really am checking in on you."

I don't buy it. "Well you checked, I'm alive. Now leave." Augustus chuckles, "No, no, no. Not so fast. I want something for being nice."

"It's not being nice then is it? If you ask for a reward." Augusts grabs the chair in my room, spins it around so that he's straddling it, then sits down and states, "Bravo on the obvious statement. You're quick witted and I like it. You're right, I didn't come here to be nice. I do want something."

"Shocking. What is it?"

"You." I pause. "What?" Augustus smiles at me, his smile is disconcerting. "I want you." I blink, trying to process the words. "But, isn't the reason I'm here because of your brother? He's the one looking for a partner, isn't he?" Augustus frowns, "You know I'm getting tired of always hearing Kazimir this or Kazimir that. He's always been the favourite even though he's soft hearted and a coward. Everyone thinks he's this big, bad High Lord but really the one doing all the terrible acts is me. He's nothing!"

Augustus's outburst shocks me. He clears his throat and collects himself, "Apologies. I'm a little on edge. Where were we? Right, I want you. I want you to be mine, to be my partner to rule with me. I don't care the we're not mates. Sometimes it takes a while for the bond to snap into place, but I don't care about that. I want you and that's all."

I still don't understand. I'm trying to process what is happening, what he's saying.

"Augustus..." I trail off, trying to find the words to say this, to let him down easy. I've just figured it out when a knock at the door has us both turning.

"Yeah?" I call out and the door opens. Kazimir stands there, looking at Augustus and myself seeming perplexed.

"What's going on here?"
"Well brother, I've asked Althea here to be mine. To be my partner and to help me rule this kingdom." Kazimir frowns, "You're not High Lord of this Kingdom though. You're next in line." Augustus laughs, "I don't care. She'll rule beside me once you've passed the torch over."