*¬*Chapter Sixteen*¬*

Fated. We're fated for each other and I just ruined that. Staring at the door after Thea left, I feel something within me reaching for her. A tugging sensation that begs me to follow her, to keep her safe. To make sure she never leaves again. Mates. We're each other's mates. Standing there like an idiot, I simply stare at the door; listening as her steps fade further and further away.

I've spent my entire life wondering what it would feel like when I met my mate, if I'd know right away or if it would take some time? I wondered if it would be this all encompassing love and light or if it would be a slow burn.

Now that she's here, it's neither of those. It's more like I'm overpowered by her grace and power, by her beauty and strength. By the way she isn't afraid to back down. Althea is my mate.

I knew something was different about her the moment I met her, three years ago. Then when she came to my home and competed in my games, I wanted her to win, I was overpowered by the need to make her win that I was willing to do whatever it took. But she didn't need my help, she was stronger than I ever thought possible.

The night that she was there for me when I had an episode, when she needed comfort; all those moments we shared about her visions; that was when I knew she was different. When I knew that there was something special about her and I had to figure out what that was.

Shaking this daze from myself, I dash out the door after her. The hallway is quiet, empty. But I follow her scent. Her scent that is now more prominent than ever before. My instincts kick in, that primal need to find her and keep her safe is getting overwhelming.

To my surprise she didn't go upstairs to her room, instead she took a right and-

I come to a halt when I realize where she ended up. Thea strolled into the garden. I don't even know how she knew this existed, as she has never been into it before, but this is where her scent lead me.

The last time I was in here was after she left, and it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. Throwing my shoulders back, I stride into the room; my hands coming to fall behind my back. The picture of elegance and nonchalance; that's what I hope to portray. Thea is standing in the middle of the room. Her face tilted upwards towards the setting sun, the smell of peonies and roses permeating the room.

"I don't know why I'm here." She whispers. Her voice gentle but guarded. I hate that. I hate that she's speaking to me like this.

"I didn't ask." I reply in the same tone. She doesn't move, but instead inhales deeper, "I can smell everything now. Every little scent down to the dirt beneath the tiles. Every sound, taste, feel, it's all exaggerated. It's all too much."

"You get used to it. Being Created is not common among the fae, but you're different. Word may spread about it. But you will get used to it all, the differences of being fully fae vs half."

She sighs and slowly cranes her neck down, the slender column of her throat bobs as she swallows. "Thea... about earlier." She raises her hand to cut me off, "It's fine High Lord. I understand you need time to process all of that, but if you're going to reject me please do it quickly and painlessly."

Reject her? No way in hell am I doing that. "Reject you? No, Thea darling, I think you've misunderstood. I'm not rejecting you. I was just surprised! I've been waiting to find my mate for centuries and now all of a sudden here you are." Striding for her, I pause a step behind her, my hands clenching into fists by my sides so I don't reach for her.

"I've spent way too long dreaming of this day, of what my mate may look like. Endless nights of a woman who's face was never clear but I knew she loved me. I've waited countless times to wake up and feel that mating bond snap into place, but it never did. Not with Beatrice, or anyone."