*¬*Chapter Eighteen*¬*

"How is this possible? How are you here?" My voice is thick with surprise. I wasn't expecting to see him here, or that he'd be locked up in a cell. I'm staring at him in shock when Kaz steps forward, entering the hallway.

The inmates hiss with hatred and fear. "Look what you've done, you've let him out."

I frown, confused as to why they're speaking about Kaz like he's been here for years.

"What are they talking about?"

Kaz keeps staring at me, his lips falling into a frown before stating, "I glamoured them. Made them think I've been here for years when really, I've only been here a few hours."

"A few hours..." I feel the colour drain from my face. Kaz steps towards me, his hands reaching for my face; inspecting it. "I'm not hurt. Not anymore. I used my magic to heal myself and set me free."

"How? My brother had iron chains around your wrists, that weakens Fae and clamps down our magic. Even I can't withstand it."

Thinking back on the flirting I had to do, to get the master key, makes me shiver. "Don't worry about it. Let's just get out of here."

Kaz nods, his eyes turning down the hallway to see the other prisoners waiting in curious clusters.

"I know you're all frightened of me, as I'm recognized as the High Lord of the Dark Court, but I promise you; if you help me and my mate escape, there will be a spot for you within my kingdom. I will make sure that your sentences are shortened and that you can live a changed life. But should you try to turn on me or get Thea captured; not even these walls will save you from the wrath I'd bestow upon your souls."

The room stills at Kaz's words. The power that vaults from him is deep and relentless. It makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

All of the inmates regard Kaz with caution, some even eye him up and down judging if they could take him or not. A sudden wave of protection washes through me.

They need to stop looking at him like that or else it'll be me they're dealing with.

Easy Thea. Don't show irritation or they'll use it against you. I appreciate that you're protective. It's cute.

The purr in his voice makes my skin tingle. It also softens the slight irritation that blooms within me at being called cute.

You're lucky I want to get out of here or else I'd have growled at you about calling me cute.

Hmm... do you not enjoy that? Being called cute, Thea sweetheart? The laughter in his tone makes it difficult to be upset at him.

Just get us out of here before Augustus comes back for me. Kaz nods before exhaling and strides for the door. As he reaches the exit, with me following swiftly on his heels; I hear several pairs of shuffling footsteps approaching.

A small flicker of pride blooms in my chest at the thought of knowing, that these individuals trusted my mate. That they had enough faith to want to get out of here and find a better life waiting for them.

As we stride down the hallway I feel my heart rate quicken, wondering if Augustus and his men will find us at any moment. "Kaz?" I whisper to his back, his posture stiff yet relaxed. "Yes?"

"How are we going to get out of here? Augustus and his men are looking for me, they won't stop until he gets what he wants."

Kaz's resounding growl makes my skin crawl. "He won't find you."

"But what if he does?"

"He WON'T!" Kaz whirls, his amber eyes ablaze and his canines have lengthened. One hand comes to rest against the wall beside my head and the other is on my throat. Swallowing I inhale and stare at him, my heart frantic within my chest. Kaz's thumb slides over my lower lip, leaving goosebumps in his wake. "He won't." He whispers into my ear, his breath caressing my skin.