*¬*Chapter Thirty Eight*¬*

War, it's a peculiar thing. As I lay on the ground, blood pooling from my torn body I stare at the darkening thunder clouds my breathing laboured and thick. Sounds begin to fade as I blink slowly.

Tilting my head I manage to absorb the scene around me. Battle.

Blood. Death.

So much of it.

I see people fighting each other swords swinging and magic blasting holes into the earth. The ground shakes beneath me as if a thousand hooves are racing across it. Turning my face back towards the sky, I'm just staring at the grey clouds when I hear a faint screaming.

Blink.

"Thea!" Who is that?

"Thea!" Pounding as someone approaches me, then a pause. Knees collapse beside me, and hands are sliding over my skin, over the torn hole in my abdomen.

Blink. Bink.

A female. It's a female who hovers over me. She's beautiful; long white hair, caramel brown eyes and golden skin. But there's a severity upon her face, a sort of intensity that creates frown lines and creases between her brows.

"Thea, can you hear me?" Her hands are pressing against my belly, trying to stop the blood flow. I blink at her, her name on the tip of my tongue but I can't seem to grasp it.

"Thea?" Again she questions me. When her eyes meet mine, her name comes screaming into clarity. "Arrow." I rasp.

"Oh by the gods, Thea. I'm here. You're safe now." She starts stuffing cloth into my abdomen to try and stop the blood flow but it's no use. It won't stop. Arrow shakes her head, her eyes glittering with unshed tears.

"I'll go get Kaz. He can fix you. He has to." I shake my head, "No."

"What do you mean no?" I sigh as more feeling slips from me. "I mean no. No one can save me from this. I had to make this choice. I had to sacrifice something in order to activate the Crown and use it to save you all."

Arrow shakes her head, "That's ridiculous. Thea we need you. I need you." Arrow cradles my head in her lap and runs her fingers through my hair. The ground shakes again and when I blink I see two male figures snarling at each other. Their swords clashing together and rage turns their skin dark.

"Who are they?" I ask softly. Arrow whispers, "Kaz and Curseclaw." I blink, "Oh right."

It's almost time Warrior Blood. You must use me soon before it's too late.

The Crown whispers to me, singing in my ears and cooing sleepily. With the last bit of strength I have, I reach up and wrap my hand around the pendant. It sings to me. Calling out loudly.

Not yet. Not yet. Breathing, I blink at the two figures. "Arrow?" I ask, her face comes into view as I tilt my head back and stare up at her. "Yes Thea?"

"Will you stay with me? Until it's over?" Her eyes are shining. Pain trickles from her eyes and leeches onto her face. "Yes, of course. You are not alone." Arrow hums to me, her voice soothing.

"I love you Thea." She whispers. "You are like a sister to me. Family." Inhale, exhale. I close my eyes and focus on the pendant, the chain snaps and I drop my fist over my heart.

Thump, thump.

"I love you too Arrow. You are my favourite person in this court." She snorts, "Well second to Kaz." I laugh softly, wincing. "No. Not second. You are just as important."

Thump. Thump.

Now Warrior Blood. Use me now. The time is upon us.

"Arrow?" I whisper. "Yes my queen?" I open my eyes and stare into hers, "Keep them safe. Bring them all home. Promise me?" Arrow begins to weep, her tears feel like rain upon my skin.

"I promise. I promise Thea."

"Good." Exhaling, I focus a single drop of my power upon the Crown. Calling to it.

I, Althea Alinac, ancestor to Myra Alinac, call upon you the Blood Crown to bend to my will. To be used for good and to rid evil of this world. I call upon you to merge with my power and become one with my being.

The words echo through the silence of my mind. Waiting, waiting.

Thump. Thump.

Exhaustion pools through me. My eyes slipped closed again. "Keep them safe Arrow..." I whisper.

"Yes, my queen." She sobs. Her forehead places against mine. The silence is deep. It squeezes through me and then, I hear you, child of mine. Your request is granted. You are pure of heart and intention.

Warmth pools in my fist but I can't unclench it. The pendant uncurls my hand and in my last moment, I watch as it shoots into the air, its blinding light glowing through the rain and the thunder.

I let out an exhale and without taking my eyes off the crown I whisper, "Get out of here Arrow." Her hands in my hair still, "No. I'm not leaving you."

"Go." I growl. "Please. I don't know what will happen once that Crown lands upon my head. Please... go."

"Thea.."

"GO!" I roar. Arrow kisses my forehead, places my head in the grass and whispers, "As you wish my queen."

Then she's standing and charging into the fray, her rage and pain spurring her forward. But the Crown, it's sinking slowly towards me. It's making everyone around me pause, to glance at it.

I hear a faint, "NO!" As someone screams towards me.

Sinking slowly, before it careens towards my hair; the Crown whispers to me Are you ready?

I blink. No. I think but I don't have time to ponder it before my heart quiets in my chest, slowing down significantly.

You are a saviour Althea Alinac. The world will remember you.

Exhale.

Thump. Thump.

The Crown reaches for me, its base nestling into my hair as oblivion comes to take me and...