3

Chishiya found it funny how several months ago, she was nothing but a stranger he was curious about. But now, he seem to have forgotten how it was to live in a world without her.

After getting coffee that day, they've been going to the same café again and again, and it went on until the last semester of the school year. While both are soft spoken, and would rarely say a word, and it's mostly just the two of them studying or him watching her sketch, Chishiya grew to love how comforting her presence felt, and everyday he found the need to be near her just to complete his day.

As he was new to the feeling of genuinely liking someone, he also discovered how frustrating it is to go out for months, feel as if you two has a mutual understanding, yet in the end, be confused of what you two were. What were they? It was clear to him he did not want to be just a friend.

Normally, he would spare no mind at interpersonal relationships. But it bothered him to the extent that everything about them was uncertain. He also didn't like how the thought would keep him awake at night.

"Nanami." He called out to her as she was about to enter their favorite Café.

She turns to face him and gives him a smile. That specific smile that stings his heart. The pained smile that sends him a signal that something was wrong.

"Just call me by my name. I dislike my family name."

He hesitated at first. But he saw it as a chance to finally break the wall between the two of them.

"Aika." It felt warm to say her name.

She gave him another smile, this time a lot brighter as her cheeks flushed with red. "Yes?"

"I don't feel like getting coffee today."

She frowns, confuse as to what he meant.

"As a matter of fact, I don't feel like getting coffee ever again." This was him letting out his frustration.

"Eh?"

"Atleast not as a friend."

She blinked. "Ehhh?"

"So if you want to keep going out for coffee, be my girlfriend. Because I would not settle for any other labels."

Her eyes widened. The hues of red on her cheeks gradually turned into a darker shade of red.

Chishiya waited a few seconds for an answer. But all he got were a series of soft chuckled and giggles. He didn't know it felt like torture to wait for an affirmation. But he wanted her to be his immediately.

"That confession is very you, Chishiya-kun." She says. And he was a bit disappointed that it was all she had to say.

"I also do not want to settle for less. So, please take care of me Chishiya-kun." She spoke, bowing towards him.

Nobody told him having a clear label felt like butterflies.

Chishiya always thought he would be quite a handful if a day comes that he'd be in a relationship. He had always believed it would simply not work out, for he was the kind of man who wouldn't compromise. He was the kind of man who would put himself first over anyone.

He had always trapped himself in the belief that he would not be someone who could treat anyone right. After all, he's not the type to adjust just for the sake of others.

And yet again, he has been proven wrong. While their relationship was simple, and did not have quite the thrill, while their dates mostly consisted of studying and getting coffee at the same café again and again, he could tell it has the right amount of compassion, affection, care, and understanding. It also amazed him how he would always be willing to give a huge piece of him just for her. And had it been anyone, he would have closed his heart and built a wall around it. Never had he thought he would ever admit this, but his heart is full.

All his life, Chishiya believed that if he would ever like someone, it would be because of their competence. But while it was a bonus that she was very neat and organized, that she always worked diligently and thus never crammed anything in her life, and while she was incredibly capable of anything she puts her mind on, while he was unmistakably attracted to her bright mind,

What he liked the most about her was how she would always understand when he needs space. How she would always be willing to adjust just for his sake. How she would always give him the brightest smile even in bad days. Chishiya thinks what he liked most about her was her beautiful soul.

"Up to something?" He asked as he sat on the vacant chair beside her, placing a gentle kiss on her cheek. Through the months, Chishiya also learned he's not entirely aloof to physical touch.

"I'm listing good hospitals that I might apply for my residency." She replies gently, her gaze still fixed on her journal.

"I'm thinking about this one." He points at a specific spot on her list. "Wanna come with me?"

"Tempting." She giggled. "If I go with you, I would not be stepping out of my comfort zone. I need to be somewhere I could grow, so I could measure up to you."

Chishiya chuckled, ruflling her hair. Finding her independence both adorable and admirable. "Alright then, let's both nail our residency programs."

Although they still had to actually graduate from med school and pass the licensure exam, it was a promise they held on to. To be honest, Chishiya would have liked it more if they could pursue their residency in the same place. But he trusted her, and believed she'll be alright.

Things remained as smooth until their seventh month together. But after that, meeting each other have become a lot harder. Their schedule did not align anymore, there were times Chishiya would have classes in the morning, and her at night. There were even times where they would only be able to meet once a week. It was at those trying times that Chishiya also learned to be patient with her.

She struggled a bit during the year's final semester. And there were even times where his presence would burden her. And there were times when she needed a lot of physical support.

Chishiya learned how to hold on even when it's difficult. He learned how to prepare her a meal when she forgets to eat due to getting hyper focused on studying. He learned how to patiently wait for her at the library late at night just so she would not walk home alone. And he learned how to take care of her even when sometimes, he doesn't even know how to take care of himself.

He learned to be a better man.