4

There were three scenarios that made Chishiya finally confirm that he had already fallen completely in-love with her.

The first one was during their finishing term in med school. She got the highest grade in one of their courses, and was even commended for her hard-work.

"Congratulations, Ms. Nanami for getting the highest possible grade in my course." Their professor announced, but just when the entire batch were about to cheer for her, the professor's face darkened. And they knew something was wrong.

"However contrary to Ms. Nanami's achievements, due to a substandard thesis, I'm disappointed to announce that four in this batch are failing my course."

The entire class had suddenly become overwhelmed by anxious murmurs, for failing the subject also meant they wouldn't be able to graduate in time. Not that Chishiya really cared, but what happened made him wish he cared more.

Chishiya's first response upon getting overwhelmed by the murmurs was gaze at her. And he wondered why she looked distress although she was in the best position out of all of them.

"Please excuse me for asking ma'am, but if someone would be willing to distribute a portion of their grades to even out the grades of the rest of the class, would you allow it?" She asked out of the blue, and Chishiya immediately knew what she was about to do.

The professor nodded. "I would allow it. But these people need 2 points each to qualify as a candidate for graduation. If there would be willing to give that much, it would be quite a rare sight."

She then smiled. "Then, if it's alright, I would like to give eight points from my grades to be distributed to these people."

The entire class gasped, not expecting that someone would be willing to give a big portion of their grades like that. Once again, Chishiya had the urge to clutch his heart. In a world where it's only natural to put oneself first before others, there she stands, against the majority. A beautiful exception. And it pained him how they don't stand on the same ground. Because he's not someone who could and would do such a thing.

"Are you sure about that? Your current grades right now could make you the Valedictorian, taking such a huge point off could pull you down from being a candidate."

She only smiled at the professor. "Yes sir, I do not mind."

"That was such an admirable response from you, Ms. Nanami. You truly are a remarkable student."

The reaction of the entire class is divided. Half was in awe of her initiative, and the other half, although Chishiya could only hear faint murmurs, he knows they were complaining about how she was only doing it to get in the professor's good graces. He internally scoffed, he found it funny how people could be spiteful when they're envious of others.

He subtly reached out for her hand to hold it, checking if she was okay. Gently, she squeezed his hands, reassuring him that he's fine.

Chishiya at first were confused of what he felt. He couldn't brush off the funny feeling on his stomach every time he thinks of what she's done. Perhaps in the back of his mind, he also envied how she could so easily give a portion of her to others, like it was natural to her. And then he realized, it wasn't the case. He ached to be like her. He ached to be a little bit better so he could be someone fitting enough to be by her side.

Maybe he was already in-love.

The second was after they graduated. The rain had been pouring like crazy, a perfect whether to study and prepare for the exams.

While Chishiya was sorting out his study materials, someone came knocking at his door. He found it strange, for never had he any guests, and he wasn't expecting anyone.

When he opened the door, he found her drenched in rain water carrying a huge travel bag, her eyes swelling and tired, and remnants of tears are still evident through the rain water on her face.

"Ai?" Chishiya did not hesitate to hold her. She felt cold, as if she has been in the rain for hours.

"They made me choose." She muttered, her lips trembling and new tears found its way down her cheeks. "They made me choose between you and them. And I chose you."

"Why didn't you call me? How long have you been walking in the rain?" He asks worriedly, holing his hands on her cheeks.

"I couldn't think clearly, my feet just moved on its own. I was never close to my family, I chose you in a heartbeat. But still, it hurts so much, Shun. I feel alone, and I'm scared!" She broke down, trembling even more.

"Shhhh..." Chishiya did not waste any more time and pulled her into an embrace, comfortingly rubbing her back. "You'll be fine, okay? I'm here." He reassured. And they sat there near his doorstep until she calmed down.

"Is it really okay for me to live here? I know how much you value your personal space." She asked him, sipping on the hot chocolate drink he made for her.

Chishiya's heart melted at the fact that she still had time to be thoughtful for him despite having dilemmas of her own. He also learned that he would do anything for her. Back then, he had worries that he might not be able to treat her right, but now he feels it in his heart. Deep inside was a sense of determination to protect her at all cost.

"Of course, if anything, I prefer it." He teased, pulling her closer by her waist. "This way I'm assured that you're mine."

"I won't be freeloading though, I still have enough savings, and I'll work part time along with my residency." Chishiya chuckled, giving her a quick peck on the lips to assure her.

"You don't have to rush, Ai. I can manage for both of us."

Chishiya loved how she blushed with just simple words. There it was again. The word love. He's still a bit uncertain, but he realized, if he was willing to take care of her without expecting anything in return, maybe he had really fallen in-love.

The third one was during their residency, where Chishiya learned that reality was far from the thought that being a doctor would always be a noble job about saving lives. And when he experienced how even that world is a lair for the corrupt, and realizing all he could do was watch as the privileged rob other people off of a chance to equal rights and access to fair medical treatment, he lost all sense of purpose and thus struggled to see the point in living in such a cruel world.

One day he came home broken and not himself. She needed no questions asked and instead welcomed him with a tight embrace.

"The same thing happened again today." He spoke through the silence. He felt her embrace tighten.

"It's not your fault, Shun. The system is cruel, your higher ups are evil, but that doesn't mean you are, okay? It will never mean that you are." She reassured, caressing his cheeks.

"I just want this unending routine to stop." He vented, burying his face on the crook of her neck.

"One day, there will come a time when you'll be able to walk on your own feet, and by then, I'm sure you'll be saving many lives, like how you saved mine. Let's both save our strength for that day, okay?"

Chishiya closed his eyes. "Alright." He whispered, relaxing in her embrace. He is amazed of how her words comfort her. While the time to find that great purpose is yet to arrive, he realized he's not entirely living his life without one. Afterall, he had her, and loving her was enough. At least for the time being.

That's right. He loved her. More than anything.