18

Chishiya held her in his arms as she trembled. The breeze wasn't cold, and their room was warm. Still she had been trembling in her sleep, cold sweat covered her forehead as she whimpered through her nightmares.

"Ai, wake up. It's just a dream." He tried comforting her, holding her tight.

He knew full well why she's having nightmares again. He had no problem killing for her, but it wounded him that he made her kill for him. It ate him alive, how she's embodied what's been tormenting her just so she could save him.

For the first time, Chishiya learned how painful it feels to blame himself.

She continued to whimper, heavy breaths overwhelmed her lungs. "It's alright, Ai. It's just a nightmare, they're not real." He whispered.

She gasped deeply and opened her eyes, and when she had a moment to look at his face, she began to sob. "Shun.." she cried out, wrapping her arms around his neck and burying her face on his shoulders. "The voices wouldn't go away."

"They keep saying I'm a monster. That I'm no different than everyone else."

He tightened his embrace, carefully rubbing her back. "Listen, Ai."

"You're far from that, okay? You are not a monster. Putting blood on your hands will not make you a monster. Do you what will make you one?"

"What would?"

Chishiya pulled away so he could press his palms on her cheek and gaze into her weary eyes. "You're only a monster if you like what you've done. But you don't. Out of anyone in the world, I am the one who know you best, Ai. Those voices in your head? They don't know you like I do. They're only lying to you."

She only shook her head. "But I didn't regret it either. I didn't regretp killing that man."

"And so? If he didn't die, he would have killed me. And he would have also killed other people too. And he would have done that out of satisfaction. That's a monster. You're not."

"But...but..."

"It's alright Ai, just release it. But promise me, if you're going to believe in anyone, please choose to believe in me."

She began to calm down, her soft whimpers slowly turned into slow and calm breath as she felt his warmth.

"Out of everyone I've ever known, both here and the real world, you had the kindest heart. Your beautiful soul puts angels to shame, Ai."

"If one day, I do something a monster would do, would you still be able to love me?" Chishiya nodded gently.

"Ai. I will always love you even if the world turns its back on you." He confessed, and then a weary smile formed on her lips.

"Then that's enough for me." She whispered, and pecked his lips. "Thank you Shun, and sorry for having to stay awake because of this."

"You don't ever have to apologize for these things, Ai. I do this because I love you."

"It's almost morning..." She muttered, gazing at the window as they sat on the bed. "Where should we go next, Shun?"

Chishiya looked away. He wished morning didn't come so quickly. That meant he somehow had to convince her about his plan. "Actually, Ai." She only raised her eyebrows. But he already knows she was preparing to hear the worst.

"I am planning to clear the king of diamonds alone." She frowned. He saw how anxiety slowly shifted the expression on her face.

"What? I thought we've already promised each other that we'll fight together? Why are you leaving me out again?" He held both of her hands. He found it difficult to let her go as well.

"I know, Ai. And that's what we'll do."

"What do you mean? How could we fight together if you're going there alone?" Chishiya heaved a deep sigh.

"Please listen, Ai. I have a feeling that it will be a game where only one person will be left in the end. So even if there's also a chance that it can be a game where everybody can win, I cannot take the risk of bringing you there. You understand right?"

"Will you definitely win the game?" She worriedly asked.

"Most assuredly." She sighed in defeat.

"Alright, just remember that I'm also willing to do what you would. So if you die, I'd kill myself."

"Then I will definitely win."

"I trust you."

"While I go clear the king of diamonds, I want you to do something for me." She eagerly nodded.

"Anything, Shun."

"While I do not want to send you away too, I think it would be efficient if you cleared a different game. Plus it will keep the king of spades from targeting you. I believe in your skills, Ai. I believe in you with all of l heart. But if you still need time, you can rest here until I go back." She quickly shook her head.

"No, I will fight too, Shun. I am glad to know that you believe in me. I promise, I will definitely clear a game for you too."

Chishiya pulled her into a tight embrace once again, reloading with her warmth, for he felt like he'll be away from her for quite a long time. He didn't want to be apart from her again, but this time it would just be temporary. For they will be going home soon. "We'll go home soon, Ai. I promise. I'm sorry for asking you to fight alone."

"I know how painful this is for you, Shun. Please don't worry about me and slay your game. For I will definitely slay mine."

Chishiya smiled, softly caressing her cheeks as if he was trying to memorize the feeling of her soft skin. "That's my girl."