22

Chishiya trembled in horror as he watched Arisu and Usagi walked towards him. On Arisu's arms was Aika's unconscious body. "No!" He groaned. "No!"

The two looked at him in despair as Arisu transfered Aika in his arms. Tears fell from Chishiya's eyes upon realizing how cold her body was. Quickly, he checked her pulse, there was still a faint sign of life, but it was fleeting. "Ai, come back to me please..." he whispered,
gently kissing her temples. "The games are almost done, we're almost home." He gently pecked her lips. "You promised you'll live for
me!"

Chishiya pleadingly looked at Arisu and Usagi. "Are you going to the Queen of Hearts?" Both of them nodded in response.

"Arisu, I have put to risk your life before. I have always been that kind of person. But please, for her, I plead you both, take her home." He sobbed in front of them, and he didn't care if it would have caused his dignity, he cried out and humbly pleaded to the people he once looked down upon. For Chishiya learned for the first time how painful it is to feel so helpless.

"I think Aika is still holding on, Chishiya. So for her, for us, and for everyone, Usagi and I will surely clear the final game." Arisu promised, and Chishiya gazed at him meaningfully, as if he was expressing his gratitude.

When they left, Chishiya embraced her tightly, as if he was trying his best to prevent her soul from living her body. In silence and grief, he wrapped his arms tightly around her, refusing to give her away. And he stayed like that for hours. "That day when I was really sick, and you took care of me, I remember everything you said vividly you know?" He whispered to her.

Chishiya felt her place a gentle kiss on her forehead. It was winter yet again, and Chishiya would often get sick in the middle of winter. Upon finding out, Aika automatically made it her mission to spoil and take care of him every winter.

"Shun.. I'm going to wipe your body with a warm towel, okay?" She gently hummed, and he only groaned sickly in response.

"By now, you may not hear or understand this but..." She spoke, and while Chishiya's eyes were closed, he could hear her perfectly. "If ever one day, you decide that you want me to stay with you for the rest of your life, I want to get married during winter. I have a lot of bad memories during this season. It was during winter when I felt the most unloved by my own family. That's why I want to turn those days of despair with such a happy memory. That way, every time winter arrives, and we're both watching snowflakes from the window, sipping hot chocolate, it is not the bad memories that I will remember but the reminisce of how far we've come."

"Winter is coming in a few months....let's get married, Ai." He whispered, intertwining his fingers on hers. "And in the coming years after that, I promise I'll constantly make you the best hot chocolate. We'll drink them while we watch snowflakes fall by the window, and with every snowflake I see, I'll recount my love for you."

"Shun..." She spoke in a hoarse whisper. "I don't think I'll be able to make it." She cried in his arms.

"Shhhh...." Chishiya comforted. His heart breaking at the sound of her helpless cry.

"I want to be able to make it." She whimpered. "But I don't think like....I don't think like I can."

Chishiya's heart broke the moment he heard her cry. He was torn, and he didn't know what to say. He wanted to tell her to hold on, to stay with her. But she seemed so weary. He felt it, that she was still fighting to be alive, but she was in a lot of pain. Fighting to live was being too painful for her.

"I love you so much, Ai." He whispered, breaking into tears. "And because I love you so much, It's alright if you rest now." His voice broke. "You can take a rest now, Ai...I'll be fine here."

"I want...to stay so much.." she whispered, her breathing becoming unsteady.

"It's fine, Ai. Love, it's fine. Thank you for everything until now. The four years I was with you were the happiest years of my life. Wait for me there, okay? I'll definitely come to you there."

Chishiya sobbed loudly when he could no longer hear any response from her. And as he cried uncontrollably, fireworks engulfed the sky.

Congratulations. All of the games have now been cleared. The robotic female voice announced.

All surviving players will be presented with two choices. Players must now all decide whether to accept permanent residency in this country, or decline it. Once again, players must now decide whether to accept permanent residency, or decline it.

Hearing the announcement, Chishiya gazed at her peaceful face for the last time. "I don't want it." He whispered.

After a few seconds, the entire city was engulfed with a warm blinding light. Chishiya embraced her for the last time and closed his eyes.

Chishiya opened his eyes. The last thing he remembered was crossing the street of Shibuya.

"Ai..." He groaned out. And instead of the person he's looking for, only the nurses and doctors crowded him.