Chapter 9- When I Say Shotgun, You Say Wedding

Third Person POV 

Michael, Chidi, the two Eleanors, and this other guy Bambadjan, were all currently in Michael's office as they were trying to figure out an argument as to why the Fake Eleanor should stay in the Good Place.

"Should be fun" Chidi commented.

"That's the spirit!" Michael exclaimed. "Don't even think about the fact that our slightest misstep could cause Fake Eleanor to suffer for eternity" He added on as he sat down.

"That's all I'm thinking about now"

"Yep, shouldn't have said that. Regretted immediately" Michael said. "Bambadjan was a human rights advocate, so he and real Real Eleanor will build sort of a real argument" 

"Um, ahem, could you please just say 'Eleanor', and maybe point to whichever one of us you're addressing?" Fake Eleanor asked.

"Well, actually, the fake/real distinction helps me" Bambadjan replied.

"Oh, does it, Bambadjan?" Eleanor irritability asked as Bambadjan just smiled and nodded.

- - - - - -

Real and Fake Eleanor, along with Bambadjan were now outside of Michael's office as Real Eleanor and Bamadjan were building Fake Eleanor's case.

"Now, I know a fair amount about your time on Earth. Why don't you tell me about your time here? Anything that might help your case" Real Eleanor asked.

"Well, in the first 24 hours, I caused the world to erupt into chaos, and then I caused a garbage storm. It was kind of a rough start, but things calmed down as Chidi started helping me learn about ethics" Fake Eleanor explained.

"Ok, tell me about that"

"Well, I studied with Chidi everyday, and then Chidi got sick of me, so I did some nice stuff to make him feel better. And later I confessed because Chidi was being tortured by guilt, and I just felt awful seeing his, little, nerdy face all contorted" She said. Then begun to do an impression of Chidi. "Oh, Eleanor, I have a stomachache because of what you did" 

"He is such a dork" Fake Eleanor laughed.

"You know, a lot of death row inmates feel regret about things they never said... admissions of guilt or anger... or love" Real Eleanor stated.

"Are you making a move on me? It's fine... I just didn't see it coming. Uh, well, hooking up with someone with the exact same name, it is kind of a fun, narcissistic fantasy... I could be into it"

"No, no, Eleanor, I... I'm talking... I'm talking about you and Chidi" Real Eleanor denied. "Now, ordinarily, you having feelings for my soulmate would be a conflict or interest-"

"Woah, woah, woah, woah, woah" Fake Eleanor interrupted.  "You think I'm into Chidi?" 

"Yes, Eleanor, I do. Because you are"

"You mentioned his name nine times within the last ten minutes" Bambadjan mentioned.

"No one asked you, Bambadjan" Fake Eleanor retorted before getting up from her chair.

- - - - - -

"No, no, no, you're wrong. There are way more things I hate about Chidi than like about him" Fake Eleanor defended as she walked around the room.

"Like what?" Real Eleanor asked.

"His stupid Clark Kent glasses, his extensive turtleneck collection, oh, and he loves ethics so much. He once talked about John Rawls for two hours... I timed it. And he only stopped because he saw me timing him. Granted, he laughed and kind of made fun of himself, it was a nice moment, but still. He always twitches his eyebrows when he says 'absolutism', and he tilts his head whenever I say something ignorant, but he never makes fun of me, which is nice. He's also incredibly patient, and kind, and surprisingly jacked, and, oh, fork, I'm in love with Chidi" Fake Eleanor went on, then said the last part in shock.