Chapter 12- What The Hell, We're In Hell

"The Bad Place is owed two people. In my opinion, which is an objective fact in this case and all cases always and forever, you have all done bad things since you arrived here, therefore I don't care which two of you go. You can decide. You have 30 minutes"

Then he added 30 minutes to the clock and then walked away.

"All I ever wanted was for this neighborhood- my first neighborhood to be perfect. Somehow I blew it and... well, you're all suffering, and for that, I'm deeply sorry" Michael apologized. 

Then he walked up the stairs before saying, "This is truly the saddest day of my life"

The door closed and there was upbeat circus music playing as it did.

Well that wasn't creepy at all.

As we were all silent and at a loss for words, Eleanor spoke up.

"Ok, I guess I'll speak first" After she said that, we all took a seat on the couch as Eleanor remained standing. "Jason and I are the mistakes. We're the ones who misled everybody and dragged you all in this mess, so... we should go to the Bad Place"

"Agreed"

"Yes"

Tahani and Chidi nodded.

"Ok, I thought you were gonna at least pretend to fight me on that but whatever"

"Hang on" Jason chimed in. "That judge guy just said everyone here has done bad things. Let's look at this ethnically" He said as he stood up.

"Ethically" Chidi corrected.

"You guys helped me and Eleanor, right? But we're bad, so you helping us was bad. It's basic consequentialism: the morality of an action is solely judged on its consequences" 

Well, I understood nothing, but go off, I guess.

Chidi clapped once. "Great" He then stood up and laughed. "The one time you actually remember something from class"

"Maybe I was bought here by mistake, but since we've been here, I just tried to stay out of everyone's way. Let's look at Shinjiro for example, he's done way worse stuff than me. He murdered Janet. He killed my wife!" Jason exclaimed.

"One, I don't know why you're bringing me into this all of a sudden. Two, I was trying to stop you from doing it" Shinjiro calmly refuted.

"Yeah, but you did it. He who smelled murdered Janet" Jason said, as Shinjiro just had a confused look on his face. 

"Well, It's settled then" Tahani said as she stood up. "Eleanor and Jianyu are leaving"

"For the last time, my name is Jason, not Jianyu, the amazing and incredible monk" 

"Which is why you belong in the Bad Place" Eleanor stated.

"And by the way, Janet is not your wife or your soulmate. There's a Janet in every neighborhood" Tahani added on.

"Well, I'm in love with this Janet. We did a bunch of amazing, awesome stuff which almost turned out to be sex, and we were married in a legal ceremony" Jason rebutted as he took Janet's hand.

"TMI" I spoke.

"It was not legal" Janet replied. 

"Ok, J-Bones, you and me, outside" Eleanor walked up to Jason and took his hand and led him to somewhere in the house.

"What? But-" Jason tried saying as he was being dragged away.

As I saw Eleanor and Jason talking, and heard Chidi and Tahani talk. I instinctively let out a sigh.