chapter 16

Kanat: it...it's positive.
Everyone looks very shocked except Kerem who wasn't understand anything. Cumali falls on the chair behind him, putting his hand on his chest, due to the two successive shocks and Hazal ran to him to see if he is okay.
Eylul: I'm so sorry on behalf of the specialists at the hospital. It was an accidental mistake.
Kanat: sorry? Do you realize what happens in my life because of that fu*king mistake of yours? And then you came in comfortably and say sorry? What exactly will your regret do me? Will it bring Ekim back to me? ( in anger and loud voice)
Eylul: I know it's stupid to just apologize, but I have nothing else to do with it.
Kanat: I will destroy you all, everyone who works at that hospital will be held accountable for that, what's the name of the person who switched the result?
Eylul: it's a woman, that day her daughter stayed in the hospital after discovering that she had cancer, but the woman had to work to be able to support her daughter because she was divorced. Look, Kanat, I understand your anger very well, but please don't harm the woman, her daughter has no one else but her.
Kanat keeps silent, and Eylul asks permission, then leaves. As Eylul opens the door, she finds Sevda in front of her. Sevda passes her as if she didn't see her and enters.
_In the living room
Melek: what happened, Zumurrud hanim? You're silent! Won't you say anything like How have you wronged my daughter or how you always stabbed her in her honor? Are you gonna keep quiet like that?
She turns to Kanat and continues.
Melek: what about you, Kanat? How many times have I told you not to rush in making your decision? How are you gonna find Ekim now? HOW ARE YOU GONNA GET MY DAUGHTER BACK?
Halil: calm down, Melek!
Melek: especially you, Don't talk to me Halil.
Kanat approaches Melek.
Kanat: I swear to you, I will do my best to find her and bring her back. Just trust me!
Melek: how can I trust you if you don't trust my daughter even a little? You left her to go with a baby that she had to take care of him on her own!!
Sevda: what's happening here? Which daughter?
They notice Sevda's presence but no one answers her, they all kept silent.
Cumali: go, Kanat, find Ekim and bring her here immediately!!
Sevda grabbed Kanat's arm to stop him.
Sevda: where are going, Kanat? What does it mean to bring her? Have you forgotten what she did to you? Or did you decide to open your home to the street dwellers whose fathers are unknown?
When Kanat was about to answer he was stopped by a hard slap on Sevda's cheek.
Melek: Ekim was right! You deserve more than this slap.
She grabbed Sevda's arm tightly.
Melek: look at me, don't dare to say anything bad about my daughter again, or this slap will be so small compared to what I'll do to you.
No one tried to prevent Melek. She left Sevda's arm and Kerem took her beside him. Sevda looked at Zumurrud to see any action from her but she didn't.
Halil: let's go together, Kanat.
Kanat nods and they go. Melek looks at everyone and then goes up to her room without saying something. Kerem goes behind her. The rest goes up to their rooms too, and it's only Sevda and Zumurrud are left.
Sevda: what a hell is happening here?
Zumurrud starts telling her all that happened. 
_In the bus
Ekim was looking at the sign of Istanbul and closed her eyes remembering the first day she came until now. She smiled when remembered Kanat and their beautiful days. But this smile vanished rapidly after remembering that she is leaving because of the result of these days. She puts her hand on her abdomen and smiles again. She is sure that her small miracle will compensate her for everything bad. She made a promise to him and herself to make a new beginning, build a new life, and a new personality.
_At Melek's room
Kerem gives his mother some water to calm down.
Melek: when did you come, Kerem? Why didn't you tell me to make something for you?
Kerem: I wanted to surprise you, and it's not important to make something, I'm satisfied with what I saw today anyway.
Melek: when will you go then? I wish you can see Ekim again but as a sister!
Kerem: I will, mom. Whenever she comes, I'll be here!
Melek looks at him questionably.
Melek: what's that mean?
Kerem: it means I'm here after now!!
Melek became so happy and surprised at the same time so he hugs her.
Melek: what? How? What about football and your carrier?
Kerem: I signed a contract with a team in Turkey, so I'm here anymore, dear mom!
Melek: really? I'm very happy, Kerem, congratulation, darling!!
Melek hugs him again and they separated after a while.
Melek: I hope they found your sister, Kerem, to complete my happiness.
Kerem: they will don't worry, but I want to understand all that happened in the living. What was this test? And what baby you talk about?
Melek looks at him nervously and starts telling him everything.
Kerem: I don't know what should I feel now as a brother but I'm really angry.
Melek: from your sister or Kanat?
Kerem: all of them, Ekim, Kanat, babaannem, I'm angry with all of them.
Melek: okay, Kerem, calm down. First, pray that they find your sister.
Kerem: but you know what? I felt that.
Melek: felt what?
Kerem: something towards Ekim. I felt like I know her but I always told myself that I might meet her in German.
Melek: It's said that the bond between twins is strong, I think that is true now. Come here.
Melek hugs Kerem and they stay together.
_At the police station
Kanat and Halil had arrived a while ago. Ozan was already there so when he saw them he asked why they are late. Kanat immediately asked him about Selim so they go to Selim together.
Kanat: Selim, leave this work now and search for Ekim Guleryuz.
Selim: again? Kanat you're falling hard!
Kanat: not now, Selim. I'm serious, it's very important.
Selim: okay, I'll search now but it will take some time.
Kanat: okay, but do it as fast as you can.
Ozan: can you tell me what happened?
Kanat: the baby belongs to me, Ozan.
Ozan: how did you know?
Kanat: someone came from the hospital, he said that there's a mistake happened and the result was altered by accident.
Ozan: what kind of hospital is this? Is it easy that such an error occurred? They destroyed a family!
Halil: not now, Ozan, For God's sake not now. Melek knew that Ekim is her daughter so if we don't find her, the family will truly be destroyed.
Ozan: shit, then, Kanat...
Selim: Kanat!!
Kanat enters the room quickly and Ozan and Halil follow him.
Kanat: did you find her?
Selim: No, for sorry! Her name isn't found in the records of any hotels, hospitals, or even police stations. I also searched the airlines and transportation, but her name wasn't found.
Kanat was very disappointed but wanted to try again.
Kanat: can't you search in other cities? Ankara, Antep, Izmir, Karadeniz... Anywhere else?
Selim: I told you before that my authority doesn't extend beyond Istanbul, Kanat.
Kanat: don't you know anyone there?
Selim: I know but they won't give me any information without permission.
Kanat: I got it! Then can you tell me if her name is registered anywhere?
Selim: sure!
Kanat: thank you.
Kanat leaves the room frustrated and doesn't know what to do. Ozan decides to tell him that Ekim was sitting at Melisa's home.
Ozan: Kanat, there's something you should know. 2 days ago, Ekim came to Melisa when she left your home. I think she's still there.
Kanat: why were you silent all that time, Ozan?
Ozan: I'm sorry, Kanat, but she asked not to tell anyone until she goes. She didn't say where to go so let's go to Melisa to ask her.
Kanat: okay, let's go.
The three go to Melisa's house. When Melisa opens the door, Kanat enters quickly without permission.
Kanat: EKIM, EKIMMM ... Where's Ekim Melisa?
Melisa: she had gone some hours ago.
Kanat: to where?
Melisa: I don't know she didn't tell me where will she go.
Melisa was forced to lie due to her promise to Ekim.
_Flashback
Ekim: no one will know my destination, Melisa. Even if it was Ozan, okay? Promise me, Melisa!
Melisa: okay, Ekim, promise.
Ekim: when I reach there I'll buy a new number and call you.
Melisa: take care, okay!
_End flashback.
Kanat sits on the chair thinking about where would she go until an idea came to his mind.
Kanat: no one can bye a flight ticket for her, but anyone can buy a bus ticket.
Halil: what do you mean?
Kanat: I mean if she went out of the city, she must have traveled by bus not by plane! So we need to go to the bus station.
They all go following Kanat including Melisa. When they arrived, Kanat's eyes searches for her everywhere but didn't find anything.
Kanat: Ozan, you go and watch the camera records for today. Come with me, uncle!
Kanat and Halil go to the drivers and show them Ekim's picture, but all of them said the same thing.
Drivers: hundreds ride with me every day, I can't remember a person of them, I'm sorry!
Kanat felt disappointed again, but he waited until Ozan came.
Kanat: did you find something?
Ozan: No, she wasn't in the records, or maybe she exists but she doesn't appear.
Melisa was afraid that Ekim would appear in videos despite she was wearing an oversized jacket and a cap. She was relieved after hearing that from Ozan.
Melisa: let's go then, our presence here is unnecessary.
Halil: Melisa is right, let's go.
They all ride in the car and drove Melisa to her home first, Ozan decides to go with Melisa. Kanat and Halil are left in the car.
Kanat: what should I do now? Will I never see her and my baby?
Halil: I want so much to tell you something that makes you optimistic, but I can't.
Kanat: because of me, she left because of my foolishness. Ozan was right, my ego and the lack of trust will damage my life. I wish regret could have any use. I deserve it, I deserve to have my heart broken and live my life in misery, but her mother, why does she have to live miserably too because of my stupidity?
Halil looks at him silently and doesn't know what to say, just patting him on the shoulder while driving. They reach home disappointed, trying to be strong to face Melek. When they entered they saw Melek running down the stairs.
Melek: you found her, right?
She says and looks behind them but she doesn't find anyone.
Kanat: I'm sorry, all of this happened because of me!
Melek: sorry? Will your sorry compensate me for losing my daughter again? I will never forgive you, Kanat! You too Halil, I'll stay in Seyit-Ali's room for a while. I was thinking to go to my father in Antep but I didn't just to not make problems between our fathers.
Melek says and turns her back to go up.
Halil: Melek, wait!!
She didn't wait to hear him. Kanat goes to his room. He sees Ekim everywhere in the room, remembering her smile, touch, kiss, putting a tuft of hair behind her ear when she is shy, her loud laugh when he was tickling her, the smile was drawn on his face until he remembered the last time he saw her and her words to him.
Ekim: I will never beg you again for that baby, Kanat! You'll know the truth one day anyway but by then you will never be able to find me again. You'll regret what you did today and live all you live dying from heartbreak and longing for your baby, but you won't even see his nail. Let that be your retribution.
He can't forget her reproachful look at him. He sits on the bed putting his hand in his palms with a sigh. Suna enters the room and sees him. She sits next to him and takes his hands in her. She finds that he's crying so she takes his head on her chest. He starts crying more and more while hugging his mother more tightly. He knew that his pain would never subside.
_After 5 months in a quiet cafe in Izmir
Ekim: I'm coming!!
Hadiga: come on, kizim! Customers are waiting.
Ekim: I came, where's Ikra?
Hadiga: she is taking care of table 5. Go take table 7's order!
Ekim: okay.
After a long day of work. Ekim and Ikra sit tiredly on chairs.
Ikra: I'm very tired, it was very crowded today.
Ekim: yes, but that's nice, there's not much left until we close the dept.
Ikra: that's right, what would we have done without you, Ekim?
Ekim: don't delirium, Ikra, the more right what would I do without you!
Hadiga: drink that milk, Ekim!
Ekim: thank you.
Ikra: why you didn't bring me some?
Hadiga: go fetch yourself, you're not pregnant.
Ikra: I was always saying I'm not your real daughter, did you adopt me?
Hadiga: yes, I found you in the street so I told myself to take you and bring a scourge for myself.
Ikra looks at her mother with resentment, and Ekim follows the situation laughing loudly.
Hadiga: you're going to the doctor tomorrow, right?
Ekim: yes
Hadige: I hope he will be born healthy, let's go girls, let's go to sleep.
_The next morning
Ekim goes to the doctor. She was seeing her baby on sonar. Ekim didn't want to know the gender of the baby to be surprised at the birth. Ekim gets up and sits on the chair in front of the doctor.
Ekim: is the baby fine?
Doctor: yes, Ekim don't worry, but of course, you must take your medicine and take care of your health well.
Ekim nods so the doctor continues.
Doctor: the next visit will be after a week in Istanbul because I have to go there for an emergency and I'll stay there for 2 weeks.
Ekim: Istanbul? Can I wait until you return?
Doctor: no, Ekim, because I'll change your medicine the next time and it's very important.
Ekim: Okay, thank you.
Ekim leaves the hospital and thinks about the possibility of meeting Kanat or anyone of his family there. She didn't expect that he could reach her once she arrives in Istanbul.
The week passes quickly, and Ekim went to Istanbul by bus as she is forbidden to board an airplane. When she arrives, she heads to the hospital and found that there are a lot of patients before her.
At the same time at Kanat's house, they were sitting at the table for breakfast. Melek reconciled with Halil a little after he felt unwell one day and she had to stay by his side, but she was still at a distance from Kanat and Zumurrud.
While having breakfast, Kanat's phone rang and it was Selim. He answered quickly.
Selim: Kanat, Ekim's name was registered now in the hospital, I'll send you the address.
Kanat:  o...okay, I'm waiting!!
Halil: what happened?
Kanat: Selim found Ekim, she was registered in the hospital today. ( cheerfully and laughing)
Melek: I'll come with you, maybe she's ill. 
Kanat: no I'll go now and bring her. Don't worry.
Kanat drives his car quickly and entered the hospital. He knew from the receptionist that Ekim is in the pregnancy department. At that time Ekim was seeing her baby on the sonar.
Ekim: can I hear his heart beating?
Doctor: sure!
They heard a noise from the outside and suddenly the door was opened.
Ekim: Kanat???

Don't forget to vote and comment with your opinion ❤️❤️