[15] Seeing Double - Pt.I

[]======[]
The Sonic and Friends Segment :)
[]======[]

The team had decided to split up and also to probably cool down from all the insults and passive aggressive comments that continued to get tossed around.

Rouge and Shadow were on a conquest to find Mephiles, and began to trail towards the street below, spotting a rare segment of road that wasn't totally covered in lava and destroyed concrete. Meanwhile, Sonic, Knuckles, Tails, and yourself went into the nearest building to find some sort of shelter from the growing heat outside. The barren environment somehow worse than the last time you suddenly returned here.

Your squad remained quiet as you walked the decaying halls. Melted pipes ran up the wall and over the ceiling, dripping their molten contents on the tops of unsuspecting heads. Doors had fallen off their hinges and lay wasted and charred against walls, the glass of lights on old ceiling tiles were scattered along the floor. Each footstep you took was to avoid some sort of these hazards.

The search was long and boring. The same ugly sight left, right, and all around. You could tell everyone was getting bored...

"Ugh- I know we're looking for a way out but there's nothing here." You threw your hands in the air, allowing them to land on your face as you rubbed your forehead annoyed, causing the group to stop and turn to face you.

Removing one hand, your (e/c) eye met with Sonic's. The blue hedgehog seemed as confident as ever, hands on his hips and a proud expression on his face.

Meanwhile, Knuckles would be nodding in agreement, the stubborn echidna also not very fond of (basically) waiting around like this. "Yeah dicknips, where are we going?-"

You shifted your weight, leaning against probably the only stable pillar in this building, and crossed your arms, narrowing them at Sonic as you two sought an answer out of him. Behind you, lacked a wall. An openness that faced emptiness. That same dull and blowing dust stretched across the horizon for as far as you could see, the only light coming from a shrouded sun or the blazing power of the inferno below you. It reminded you of how desperately you wanted to get out of this place... again.

Sonic, for once, was not quick to quip an answer, instead, kept walking until he got to a corridor, and froze. Slowly, his head turned to the right. The blue hedgehog would soon wave your trio over, but put a finger over his mouth with that classic 'be quiet' expression.

You, Knuckles, and Tails were left behind him, confused. But, nevertheless, slowly approached him quietly. With light footsteps, you were the first to arrive next to Sonic. He was looking through a small crack in a pair of steel doors, a thin light piercing the crevice and onto your faces.

It twas not the light that widened your eyes, but instead... Watching, as you saw double.

It was you. (f/c) fur on a (height) body that was facing away, (e/c) reflecting off of a screen. Each and every feature perfectly symmetrical with your own. Even your fur was lightly dusted with the ash from the chaotic outdoors.

Surrounding your past self was the reflections of Mephiles, Silver, and Blaze. You remembered them, and Silver's especially strange and depressing introduction.

This was a reflection of the past. Or perhaps, you had traveled to the past. 'Was there someone watching me when I was here before?-'

You finally realized that this was the gamer pad. Chairs scattered on the background and tables flipped. A map of fortnite displayed on massive monitors...

"What are youuuuuuUUHHHH." Tails now began to peer through the door, his scientific intellect flaring alive as he saw two of you. He thought to himself, how was this possible?

"What's even happening in here?" Sonic chimed in, placing a hand on your head in an attempt to hoist himself up for a better view. Your strength held true, but you puffed up your now frustrated red cheeks as he continued to press down.

"As you can see, this is the optimal drop point." Mephiles began to speak to his three houseguests, and you continued to spy on their conversation. Only you knew what was happening, but you were still too confused about seeing yourself...

The dark hedgehog held up that all-familiar purple gem, said the same sentence as last time, and handed it to Silver... Again, the curious boy took it wondrously, before he became entranced in the gemstone.  You and Blaze almost attacked Mephiles as Silver became lost to the void, and you had your suspicious conversation about 'the truth'.

But of course, Silver soon came to and shook his head. Mephiles took back his stone, began to whisk them away in purple mist, and boom. They all disappeared into thin air.

"Oh! That orb looked so big and small." Sonic immediately burst into the room, clambering over your head awkwardly, and rolling upwards again to walk. Tails followed behind, and rushed to the computer while you and Knuckles followed cautiously behind them.

"...what dae fuck?- What was that (Y/n)? Why were there two of you, and what were you doing with Mephiles?" Knuckles would punch his fists together menacingly, narrowing his eyes in what you guessed was suspicion.

"It was me from the past, somehow." You nearly barred your teeth back at the red echidna, and continued towards the computer near Sonic. "When I was trapped here at first, I met those two characters, The cat is Blaze, and her stupid hedgehog friend is Silver. He was too quick to trust Mephiles in this moment, but I think he's realized that Mr. Memphis Tennessee is up to no good."

Your hand rests on top of the keyboard, your gaze staring up at the map stretched across the display monitor. Mephiles, whatever he had pulled up, was still here on the screen.

"What are you up to-..."

. . . . .

Tails had been cracking at the old, rusted and corrupt computer for a solid 15 minutes while you explained your part of the story to the other heroes. Sonic began to connect the pieces together rather quickly. It would explain how you've managed to end up everywhere all at once. Knuckles on the other hand, was skeptical and cautious as usual. You couldn't blame him. The mysterious powers and motives of Mephiles were quite the sudden force to reckon with.

"Aha! Someone's been playing fortnite!" Tails threw his arms in the air and did a little spin in excitement as he finally discovered a way into the computer's sources and logs.

"Aw fuck."

Tails then returned his attention to the screen, as more information began to load up onto the terminal screen... "Wait- no... Someone's been building a video game. A battle royale that- Th- H-!?"

In Tail's attempt at finishing his properly flustered sentence, Sonic had run up behind him quickly, almost crashing into the small fox as he announced:

"OH SWEET! I wanna be the main character!"

[]======[]
Decided to Chop this one into two parts. Writing the next one as I post this chapter :D

Chapter Length @1210 Words

- S.Ishvalda

Ishvalda