[ 19 ] Your Story 🎨

This chapter will be a bit more sentimental, a small break from the typically funny haha highjynx.

[]======[]

"WHOA!"... Followed by the cartoonish sound of shoe soles crashing against concrete was the first sound to infiltrate your ears. You were practically blinded by my midday sunlight above the now bustling city of central Soleanna. Sonic gracefully landed, Knuckles was on all fours, "Fuck! My ass-"... and Tails was unfortunately met with a pair of sore cheeks against the solid stone ground.

"Where's that sweet cake!?" Of course- Sonic was on a one track mind.

"Screw your cake! My brain hurts again."

"The cake is a lie dumbass, you're not getting married. At least not here in Soleanna." You rolled your tired (e/c) eyes at the obnoxiously one-tracked hedgehog, and held your wrist as you got up. Regrettably, you landed rather awkwardly on it, your body being pushed through the portal suddenly and violently aided to that...

'Shadow and Mephiles... Did he make is back?'

"No way! If I want it to happen, I can make it happen. You see (Y/n). I think I'm God!" Sonic cheered, throwing his hands in the air as he continued to search around for his venue like it truly was real, and the party planner somehow heard him in the other dimension.

"Will you shut the fuck up? AAUUGH! I'm tired of this crap!" You eyed a small piece of rubble, shattered from your fall to the ground. Picking up the jagged object, you HUCKED it at your blue irritator. The blindness, unease, teleporting, and inuendous flirtation from comrades and enemies alike was starting to really boil up. "ugh- I hate to admit that maybe Aloemere was right. Standing guard at a post for 5 hours really would be more enjoyable..."

"Aloemere?" Tails tilted his head to the side, eyes widened at the new term. Knuckles had gone to take care of Sonic, pushing him around to either play along with his little whimsical daydream, or actually knocking sense into him. Leaving the one person you could actually say was sane enough to handle themselves, nevertheless to reasonably talk to, beside you. And it was a young kid for christ's sake.

'What the heck is wrong with my generation? Where did it go wrong...'

Inhaling deeply, you slowly sat down on the curb, separating your furry (or scaly) bodies from the dark, watery depth below. Tails slowly joined you, seeing as that seemed to have struck a chord within you. His little intelligent brain went into analytics mode, noticing your small movements, glances, and lack of commentary once he spoke up first.

You nodded to him, assuring him his curiosity was welcomed and ok. He wasn't from Soleanna, there was no way he would know who the greatest knight of all the kingdom was. Who your mentor was...

"Here in Soleanna, mobians are exceedingly rare. It was just me and a few others. Aloemere, was the only mobian to reach the statues of a knight in the castle. He trained every soldier, including myself." Memories flooded back, forcing your mind to decipher between sadness and vividness as you recalled each fleeting moment. When you broke your first trainee sword, a soldier's token of improvement, he shared his wisdom with you. "Be happy that it happened, not sad that it is all over and gone..."

It was something you had to take to heart now.

"Oh no..." Tails muttered, realizing you had been talking in past tense.

"Sadly... years ago, me and Elise got curious. When her father, the king, and my mentor Aloemere went to a secret base, we followed them. Something must've happened- and they were both killed..."

Like an emotional support animal, the fox brought up his twin tails behind you, wrapping around your waist and shoulder like a weighted blanket. It caused a smile to warm your face as your hand brushed down the one on your shoulder gently, acknowledging his sentiments.

"He's like your Sonic." the young boy queried, leaning to the side to slowly glance at the actual Sonic. Despite the straight attitude and egotism, he truly was a skilled hero of his time. Remarkable speed, admired by all who knew him.

The comparison caused a quickly chuckle to rise from your gut. "Yeah- but replace all the weird things he says with wise ones, and give him the best discipline, and yeah- He's my Sonic. My hero."

That also gave Tails a little laugh. The boy recognized Sonic was a little- unhinged. "Sonic is kinda crazy... not even kinda, he is crazy. But Knuckles helps to keep him in check, like right now, hehe."

"Yeah, I'll admit, you guys are a really cool trio." The mood was slowly lightening after your harrowing  and solemn story. Your hand rose to rest on Tail's head, lightly ruffling his hair as you kindly talked with him.

"Was it just you and Aloemere?"

You lightly shrug, "Basically. I never really had teammates, just lower ranking guards to commands around."

"Awe man- that still sounds boring."

"It was. You're a lucky little dude. I hope you guys fix your problems here so you can go back to doing whatever you do best." Your hand was thrown off by Tails who frantically tried to fix his little hair sprouts.

"I'm sorry we made them your problems. But, come to think of it, this is what we do best. Stopping Eggman."

You had heard from Sonic that is really was their weekly, basically daily, activity. It was a cycle. Eggman would come up with a plan. Build something robotic, attack, then get stomped on by the heroes. Rinse, repeat. That sounded like your boring routine, but with actual events. However you knew Tails had some skills to help him get through his day like you had. "You build stuff, right?"

Tails would nod, it was his favorite thing of course. His brain was too big really. "Yeah- but, I guess we're usually busy trying to stop Eggman attacks, we don't really do much else."

You sighed and looked off into the distance, leaned back as you rested your weight on your elbows, legs kicking off of the river edge. "So I guess we've both been missing little slices of life then, hmm?"

"Maybe- but, we get to explore cool places like Soleanna and its beautiful beaches. And you get to meet us, and hopefully... some new friends?"

Your breath caught in your throat as the little fox boy spoke. His words caused everything to wrap up into one simple and whole gift that was this experience. As cursed and tragic as the situation was, it was true. You were both getting that little 'slice of life' you believed you missed out on.

"Yeah. You're right Tails. That's- really sweet of you to realize. I never thought about it that way." You leaned back up and looked to Tails, who was smiling right back at you. His heard nudged to the side, gesturing to the two fighters who had gone off to argue amongst themselves. They were not playfully butting heads, running around each other and having a genuinely good time in their company.

The sun beaming down behind them, and of course, the building city and landscape before you. Everything was starting to come together in a nicely packed gift, wrapped in the form of one orange fox friend.

"Thank you for making me realize that too."

[]======[]

I'm back to writing! Hopefully! I honestly wrote this in like 45 minutes and have not proof read yet. But it's a sweet little chapter nevertheless^^ Chapter banner is also on this one!

Word Count: 1250