Too Good to Last

A/N:

Back from the dead. Hope ya'll enjoy~

It was a lesson she had learned long ago.

~~

"Want some cake, honey? I'm no expert in the kitchen but this is my best one yet," a petite woman asked her young daughter as she wore a soft expression on her face, a home-baked strawberry cake on a platter in her hands. The child enthusiastically agreed, scrambling from her cozy spot on the couch to the kitchen table. Her eyes goggled over the pastry, watching intently as her mother cut a generous slice onto a paper plate and served it to her next to a glass of milk. She waited until her mother had her slice of cake and when she finally did they both dug in. The next few minutes were spent in complete fondness as they conversed over the events of their day, giggles and laughter filling the cold home.

It was a moment that would stay in both of their hearts until death.

The night ended sweetly, the sun rolled around and soon peeked back up. It was a new day and it seemed like one of those days where things would take a turn for the better. The birds sang a sweet song, the breeze was fresh as it washed against Y/N's skin while she made her way down the street on her walk to school. The strawberry taste still lingered on her tongue, and surprisingly she looked forward to coming back home after school. She thought that maybe she and her mom could catch a movie, or walk to the park and look for butterflies. It had been a while since she saw her mother with a smile on her face, even though it seemed that lately, she had been losing herself.

Y/N came back from a bad day at school, still that little fire of hope that her mom could make things better. And she did. Y/N came home with tears streaming down her face, and her mother was there to wipe them away. Her father wasn't home so they snuggled on the beer-stained couch and put on some old movies. Unfortunately, the next day her father returned. It was a tense environment once again, but Y/N stuck to her mother like glue. If they would just stay together she was sure they could handle anything life threw at them.

That night her father ran her out of the house. She settled at the park, sleeping cold in the absence of her mother. However, she marched through another day at school. Of course, it was another terrible experience.

Y/N dragged her feet to her home, not wanting to sleep in the cold park tonight. Her tears dried on her face as she stared at the door. She's usually scared to come home, but her body felt drained to feel anything at the moment. Before she could even move, the door swung open.

Y/N saw her mother with bags in her hands and tears running down her face.

"M-Mom, what are you doing-"

"I'm sorry! Please forgive me. I'm so sorry." she kept repeating the same things as she sobbed and hugged her daughter tightly. Y/N didn't know what was happening as she moved her arms to hug her mom back, but the woman pulled away.

With one last look, her mom ran.

"H-Hey! Where are you going?"

That day was a lesson learned. Good things never last. At least not in her life.

~~

"L/N, your benched. Get off the court," Kyo snapped like a snake, eyes narrowing at her teammate who had a defeated expression. Y/N didn't question anything, head hung low as she made her way to the bench. A rookie took her place.

Hori had her frustrations growing, feeling dumbfounded at Y/N's complete 360 personality. These past few days it's like she's turned into a stranger. There was no more talking, all she did was listen with a dazed look on her face, she never answered her phone and when she did it was always 'sorry I've been busy'. Was this normal? Was it something she'd get over? Hori had no idea. It was like a flip had been switched and the Y/N L/N that was her friend was nowhere to be found.