Growth

“How could you let this happen?”

Atsumu felt like his five year old self when his mother lectured him for picking another fight with his brother, expect this time he had known exactly what he was doing and Hori was the one who gave him the disapproving glare, which for some reason made the muscles in his heart tense. He and his brother had been putting the net away after practice with uneasy tensions between them when Hori stormed in with Kyo close behind, her phone angrily clasped in her hand with the humiliating video of Y/N and Kiyoshi paused.

Even though she addressed both of them, her gaze was solely for Atsumu, almost like she was expecting more from him and had been betrayed. “How did you just stand there and watch this happen?” she walked up and was almost chest to chest with Atsumu, gripping a hand full of his shirt in her fist, “I’d love to know so please tell me what the hell was going on in that head of yours when-”

“What the hell was I supposed to do, Hori?”

He could feel the hot defensive wall build up around him, almost yelling down at the girl who had disgust painted all over her features when she looked at him, making something feel wrong inside him. “There were so many other people there doing nothing, why is it all my fault? Didya want me to start some fight like Kyo? Because that helped a lot, didn’t it?”

Kyo grit her teeth but held back any remarks and let Hori handle Atsumu, settling with sending mean looks to Osamu who just sulked with his head down. 

“Why do I need to be the bad guy? It wasn’t my fault for what they did, I didn’t do anything.”

Atsumu stuttered his words to a stop when Hori let go of his uniform, eyes no longer meeting his, “She’s your friend and all you did was nothing. All you did was watch and keep telling yourself you did nothing wrong. That’s a pretty shit friend if you ask me.” The girl then snapped towards Osamu who was inching his way towards the door but froze under her glare, “She’s the most genuine person you’ve ever met and you let your own insecurities ruin the relationship you have with her.” Osamu didn’t say a word, he barely even moved, letting the words sink through his skin uncomfortably. Hori gave a final look to Atsumu, “You should’ve started a fight like Kyo or maybe stand up for the person who’s actually been there instead of popular kids who don’t give a damn about you. That’s what a friend is supposed to do.”

~~

Y/N had skipped school the following Monday after the incident, rotting away in the spare room in Jason’s smoked-stained apartment. She didn’t even check her phone because everytime she turned it on, someone new had tagged her in the video. 

“You're really killing the mood in here,” Jason pitied at Y/N curled up in singed blankets, dried tears on her cheeks. “I’m having some people over tonight, so go find somewhere else to feel sorry for yourself.” He left the apartment to buy drinks and left Y/N some cash to buy herself dinner. 

It took a lot of mental strength to drag herself out of bed, but she felt a little better when she did. It was a little past 10 am when she hopped in the shower, rinsing off last night's tear stains, and by the time she was strolling down the road on her bike it was midday. Settling with casual jeans and a shirt, she hadn’t made plans to hang out with anyone and even took the day off from work. Her phone buzzed continuously in her back pocket but Y/N didn’t bother to check who it was, stopping at the corner of the street to shut it off completely. As she waited to cross, cars passing by and throwing the wind through her loose hair, she wondered how she would even show up at school tomorrow. She even contemplated just never going back but that was just wishful thinking. 

The pop of the soda can was satisfying, the bubbles fizzing as she took a sip. She couldn’t remember the last time she had money to spend, always fumbling through loose change and scraps, but it seemed Jason felt sorry enough for her to leave her with over 100 dollars cash. Her paychecks also helped, but she focused more on house supplies and groceries. 

The sun had begun to set when Y/N found herself at the park, following the familiar path and sitting on a bench under a tree. She eyed a stray volleyball but didn’t find the motivation to stand up. Her shoulders slumped and her head hung back, eyes gazing up at the tree’s leaves, watching some fall with the wind. She didn’t want to think about it but the thoughts came anyway. 

Were things going back to the way they used to? Was she going to be alone again and be the joke of the school? 

Her thoughts were interrupted by a bounce of the volleyball, picking up her head to see Kyo standing in front of her. “Had a feeling you’d be here.” 

Y/N sat up quickly, feeling her cheeks tint in embarrassment at being found after what had happened. She wasn’t sure what to say, biting the inside of her cheek as she looked down at Kyo’s shoes.

“We’ve been calling you like crazy,” Kyo also felt a bit awkward, shuffling on her feet before sitting down on the other side of the bench, “You have us really worried.” 

Y/N gripped the seat of the bench with her hands, trying to force back the tears that were threatening to fall. She still couldn't bring herself to say anything. Kyo gazed ahead at the small field, “Y’know, I’d watch you practice volleyball here a lot. Back in middle school.” 

“It pissed me off seeing you here day after day but at the time I hadn’t realized why. Now though, I understand.” 

Y/N lifted her gaze at Kyo who was still staring ahead of her, “I knew I could never be like you. You’ve always reminded me of my grandma before she died. She always was happy and you even smile like her. Everything seemed to upset me and I never understood why I couldn’t just be like her, like you. I was jealous of you Y/N, and I did horrible things because of it. And I know this is a shitty thing to say but,” Kyo looked at Y/N with tears in her eyes, hands gripped around the ball tightly, “Thank you for never hating me.”

Before she realized, Y/N felt a smile form on her face. 

They both spent time passing around the ball, Kyo only agreeing on the condition that they never spoke about this again. Y/N had a grin plastered on her face the entire time, jumping around excitedly while Kyo scolded her for being too hyper. “It’s getting late, you hungry?” 

Y/N hummed, swiping the layer of sweat from her forehead. With the ball now discarded, she followed Kyo through the park. Kyo said to just follow her and Y/N listened, biking behind her friend who had her own bike. They ended up at the coffee shop.

There they were; the twins and Hori all waiting at the entrance. Kyo gave a light nudge to Y/N with her shoulder, “Let’s fix things alright?” 

Osamu was the first to walk up to Y/N, “I’m sorry, let me make this up to you.” 

Y/N gleamed at him. It seemed good things always come back.