Chapter 14

Lucy POV

My day hadn’t started too well.

I didn’t sleep at all. I spent the night worrying about Ezra.

I spent the night picturing Jack and Brian’s faces. I imagined them taking me away from my brothers again. I imagined them touching me, hitting me, burning me, and cutting me. I remembered their voices and their threats.

No matter how hard I tried  I couldn’t fall asleep. No matter how hard I gripped my brothers’ hands, I couldn’t fall asleep.

I was so scared, and it was getting harder and harder to convince myself that it was only a prank.

It’s been two days since I found the note in my locker, and I haven’t found another one since. I was terrified to go to school this morning, but I felt so relieved when there wasn’t a new note in my locker.

I managed to pretend that I was okay. I managed to pretend that I slept. My brothers didn’t notice that I wasn’t okay. I had to make sure that they would never notice.

I had to protect them.

We just finished eating lunch, and we headed to our next class when I remembered I forgot my text book in my locker.

I sighed and ran my fingers through my hair. I was so tired and distracted.

“What’s wrong?” Theo asked as he took my hand in his.

“I forgot my text book in my locker.” I mumbled as I stopped walking.

“Why are you so forgetful lately, Sunshine?” Noah asked me.

I shrugged and gave him a small smile.

“Maybe she has a crush on someone.” Aiden said, smirking at my brothers.

Both Theo and Noah narrowed their eyes at Aiden.

“Take that back.” Theo said angrily.

“She doesn’t have a crush on anyone.” Noah said as he pulled me to him.

He wrapped his arms around me, and I chuckled.

“Tell him you don’t have a crush on anyone.” Theo said sternly.

I sighed and shook my head.

“I don’t have a crush on anyone.” I said as I looked at Aiden. “I’m just forgetful lately. I should probably start writing things down.”

“Maybe Riley is the one who has a crush on someone.” Noah teased Aiden.

It was now Aiden’s time to narrow his eyes at my brothers.

I chuckled, shook my head, and walked away, leaving them to bicker with each other.

I reached my locker, took a deep breath, and opened it.

My heart stopped beating.

A white envelope with my name and former last name written on it was in my locker again.

I glanced around, but no one was in the hallway. The classes were starting in a few minutes, and the students were already in classrooms.

I looked back at my locker and grabbed the envelope.

My hands were shaking. My palms were getting sweaty. My stomach kept turning, and I was sure that I would throw up.

I opened the envelope and pulled the note out. I unfolded it and took a deep breath.

Hello, doll.

Did you think that we wouldn’t write to you again? Did you think that it was only a one-time thing? Did you think it was a prank? It wasn’t a prank, doll. It’s us. It’s Jack and Brian. It’s your two favorite people. Be a good girl and don’t tell your brothers about the note, just like you haven’t told them about the first one. If you do, you know what will happen to you, doll. We told you the last time we saw you. We told you that we would enjoy your body before we killed you and buried you. You know the consequences. Be smart, doll. We can’t wait to see you again. We will see you soon, doll.

I was going to throw up.

I slammed my locker shut and ran to the bathroom. I opened the first bathroom stall and fell down on my knees. I threw up everything I ate at lunch, which wasn’t much to begin with.

It was them.

It wasn’t a prank.

It was really them.

I remembered how they described what they would do to me before they killed me. I remembered how they discussed where they would bury me.

My stomach turned again, and I threw up one more time.

I didn’t eat much, and I had nothing to throw up anymore, but that didn’t stop my stomach from turning and twisting.

It was really them.

What did they mean when they said that they would see me soon? Did they plan to escape? Did they escape already?

Oh, God.

I had to tell my brothers. This wasn’t a prank. I had to tell them.

But Ezra…

This note could only be an empty threat. Was it worth disturbing Ezra with an empty threat? Was this worth his health?

The answer was easy. It wasn’t.

Another sickening thought came to me.

Who left the notes in my locker?

Was that person working for Jack and Brian? Was I in danger right now?

My stomach turned violently, and I tried to throw up again. Nothing came out this time.

“Lucy?” I heard Riley’s worried voice coming from outside the stall.

“I’m okay, Riley.” I said as I put the note in my backpack.

“Theo and Noah are outside the bathroom.” Riley said. “They are freaking out. You didn’t show up for class.”

I was surprised that they didn’t barge in here themselves. I guessed that Riley managed to convince them to let her check on me because this was a girls’ bathroom.

I stood up and opened the door.

Riley’s eyes widened when she saw me.

“Shit, Lucy, are you okay?” she asked worriedly as she grabbed my arm.

“I’m fine.” I mumbled as I approached the sink. “I think I ate something weird.”

“Lucy?!” Theo screamed from outside the bathroom.

“We will be right out.” Riley yelled back.

I washed my hands and rinsed my mouth. I took a deep breath and tried to stop myself from shaking.

I approached the bathroom door and opened it.

Noah and Theo’s hands were around me instantly.

“What happened?”

“What’s wrong?”

They asked at the same time.

“I think I ate something bad.” I mumbled as I leaned into them. “I threw up.”

“Shit.” Noah mumbled as he picked me up.

I wrapped my legs around his waist and leaned my head on his shoulder.

I watched as Theo pulled out his phone.

“Liam.” Theo said worriedly. “Call Nate. We are bringing Lucy home. She is sick.”

I wasn’t sick. I wanted to argue and tell them not to call Nate, but I was too distracted.

All I could think about were Jack and Brian. All I could wonder was how they would hurt me.

Noah placed a kiss on my head, and I tightened my hold on him.

I needed my brothers.

I needed them so much.