Chapter 37

Aiden POV

I could feel my heartbeat in my throat.

“Liam!” Noah screamed, grabbing the phone from the coffee table.

I heard footsteps running toward the living room.

“What happened?” I heard Liam’s voice.

I couldn’t move. I couldn’t feel my body.

I kept my eyes on Noah’s phone.

“Fuck.” I heard Peter’s voice. “Answer, Noah.”

Noah looked at me, placed the phone back on the coffee table, and answered it.

I felt a hand squeezing mine tightly.

I held my breath.

After a few moments of silence, I heard a male voice.

“Hello, Lucy.” the guy said. “Did you get my message?”

Nobody spoke for a second. I heard someone whispering, but I couldn’t hear what they were saying. I couldn’t look away from the phone.

Was Riley there? Would she say something? Would he let her say something?

“We got your message.” I heard Liam’s voice.

The line was silent for a moment

“Do I have the honor of speaking to one of Lucy’s brothers?” the guy asked.

“Yes.” Liam answered immediately. “What do you want?”

The guy chuckled.

“I want to speak to Lucy.” he said. “My text message was pretty clear, wasn’t it? I want Lucy.”

I finally managed to look away from the phone.

I saw Theo and Noah wrapping their arms around their sister, pulling her closer to them. It looked like they were afraid that the guy would grab her through the phone.

“You can’t get Lucy.” Liam said, trying to remain calm. “She isn’t yours to take.”

Riley wasn’t his to take either.

I wanted to scream, but I couldn’t find my voice.

The guy laughed.

“Lucy isn’t mine to take, but I will take her.” he said. “Unless you want me to kill the pretty little girl I have right here.”

My heart stopped, and I finally found my voice.

“NO!” I screamed, jumping up and grabbing the phone. “I WILL KILL YOU! GIVE ME BACK MY SISTER!”

Someone grabbed me and pulled me back onto the couch. Peter took the phone out of my hand.

“Aiden, is that you?” the guy asked with a hint of amusement in his voice. “Or was that Ethan? I didn’t recognize the voice.”

My ears started ringing. My vision blurred.

“Breathe, Aiden.” I heard Ethan’s quiet voice. “Breathe, come on.”

I tried. I really tried. I couldn’t.

I wanted Riley. I needed Riley.

“Leave Riley alone.” Liam spoke. “Give her back to her family. She didn’t do anything to you.”

“You are right.” the guy said. “She really didn’t. She is a nice girl. A little feisty, but nice. That’s why I don’t really want to hurt her.”

Tears fell on my cheeks.

Riley wasn’t nice. Riley was the best. She was kind, loving, and understanding. She was my best friend. She was my other half.

Lucy mumbled something that I couldn’t understand. I looked at her and saw that Noah put his hand over her mouth, stopping her from talking.

“Why are you doing this?” Liam asked him. “What are you going to get out of it?”

The guy chuckled. “That’s none of your business.”

“You want to hurt my sister.” Liam said, clenching his fists. “You took Riley from her family. Of course it’s my business.”

The guy sighed, and I heard him open a door.

“What makes you think that we will let Lucy go to you?” Liam asked when the guy didn’t respond. “What makes you think that we will give Lucy to you?”

“Maybe because you don’t want Riley’s blood on your hands.” the guy responded, chuckling.

My stomach turned, and my vision blackened. I was going to pass out.

But his next sentence pulled me back instantly.

“Do you want to talk to your friends and your brothers, Riley?” I heard him ask.

“Riley?!” Ethan shouted, tightening his arms around me. “Riley we are here! We are going to find you, Riley!”

“Ethan?” I heard her voice, and I sobbed.

“Yes, Riles, it’s me.” Ethan cried out. “It’s your big brother. I will get you back. You will be back in my arms soon. I promise.”

“Where is...” I heard her mumble, but her voice broke.

“Come on, pretty girl.” the fucker said. “Speak up. Your brothers can’t hear you.”

I clenched my fists and tried to swallow the huge lump in my throat. I wanted to cry. I wanted to scream. I wanted to say something to her, but I couldn’t. I was frozen.

Until I heard her voice again.

“Aiden?” she called me, and the ice around my body melted.

“Riley?” I cried out. “Oh, my Riley. I love you. I will find you, okay? I will find you.”

“I love you too.” Riley mumbled, her voice breaking. “I’m sorry, Aiden.”

“Oh, that’s so sweet.” the fucker said. “I love you, I will find you. So, so sweet.”

He chuckled, and a wave of rage hit me so hard that my vision blackened.

“Are you listening, Lucy?” the fucker asked. “Are you feeling guilty that you are keeping Riley from her brothers? Why are you doing this, Lucy? You can help. You can give Riley back to her brothers.”

“Motherfu...” Theo screamed, trying to grab the phone, but Dylan stopped him.

The fucker laughed again.

“Don’t listen to him, Lucy.” I heard Riley’s voice. “Don’t...”

Riley stopped talking.

“Why are you making me do this, Riley?” the fucker sighed.

Do what?

DO WHAT?

My heart was going to give out.

“What are you doing to her, you bastard?!” Ethan screamed, his voice breaking. “Leave her alone!”

The fucker chuckled darkly.

“Well, Lucy, think about it.” he sighed. “I really have to go now. Riley and I could use some quality time together. You will know what to do, Lucy, don’t worry. Your brothers won’t be in our way. Talk to you soon.”

My eyes widened, and my heart raced.

“Riley!” I screamed, but the fucker hung up.

One second passed.

Then two.

“NO!” I screamed so loud that my voice broke. “RILEY!”

I wanted to grab the phone and call her back. I wanted to hear her voice. I needed to know that she was okay.

But Ethan grabbed me before I could.

“No, Aiden.” he said, sobbing. “Peter needs to take the phone.”

I watched helplessly as Peter took the phone and left the room.

I needed that phone. Riley was on that phone.

I didn’t even notice what was going on around me. I stared after Peter long after he was gone. Everything was a blur. All I could think about was Riley. What did he do to her? What did he fucking do to her?!

Why did she apologize? She had nothing to apologize for. I was the one who was supposed to apologize. I didn’t look after her. I left her alone.

I left her, and he took her.

I left her, and I lost her.

My heart couldn’t take it anymore. I couldn’t take it anymore.

I breathed out and let the pain consume me.

I breathed out and let go.