Chapter 17

Lucy POV

I woke up to someone stroking my head gently.

“Hey, honey.” I heard my brother’s soothing voice.

He kissed my forehead and wrapped his arms around me.

“How are you?” he asked as I snuggled myself closer to him.

“Better.” I mumbled. “When did you come home?”

“A few minutes ago.” Ezra said. “I’m sorry I wasn’t here earlier, honey. I told Liam that he should have called me.”

My heart raced.

I opened my eyes and looked up at my brother.

He had a worried look on his face, and it made my stomach twist.

Whatever I did worried him.

I should have known better. I shouldn’t have thrown up. I shouldn’t have let Theo and Noah take me home.

Would Ezra be able to sleep tonight? Would he worry too much?

“It’s okay, Ezra.” I said, trying to stop my voice from breaking. “You were spending time with your girlfriend.”

“That could have been rescheduled, honey.” Ezra said softly as he caressed my cheek. “You are sick, and I should have been here when you came home.”

What would Sienna say if he told her that he wanted to reschedule their date because of me? She would be disappointed. I promised her that I would try harder. I promised her that I wouldn’t worry Ezra so much.

I buried my head in his chest and wrapped my arms around him as tightly as I could.

“You are here now.” I mumbled as I tried to stop the tears from falling on my cheeks.

“Oh, my baby.” Ezra said as he kissed the top of my head. “I am here. I will always be here.”

My heart hurt.

I wanted Ezra to always be next to me. I wanted all of my brothers to always be next to me.

But what if being next to me hurt them? What if I was hurting them?

Could I let them go to protect them?

Ezra placed a hand on my forehead.

“You don’t have a fever.” he said as he kissed the top of my head again.

“I didn’t have it at all.” I mumbled.

“Do you know what made you throw up?” Ezra asked me.

I shook my head.

Well, I knew what made me throw up, but I couldn’t tell him that.

I couldn’t worry him.

It was an empty threat. They were in jail. They couldn’t hurt me.

Right?

“Okay, honey.” Ezra said as he ran his fingers through my hair. “How about I make you some soup? You need to eat something.”

I nodded.

I was actually a little hungry. Not a full meal hungry, but I could use a nice bowl of soup. Especially if Ezra was making it. He was the best cook ever.

“Okay, baby.” Ezra said as he kissed the top of my head again. “Let’s go to the kitchen together."

Ezra and I broke our hug, and I sat up.

“Where are Theo and Noah?” I asked.

They were here when I fell asleep.

“They are downstairs.” Ezra said as he took my hand in his and pulled me up. “Dylan is here.”

I nodded and followed Ezra out of my bedroom.

As soon as we entered the kitchen, I heard my oldest cousin’s voice.

“Shortcake!” Dylan exclaimed as he reached out for me. “Come here.”

Liam, Theo, Noah, and Dylan were sitting at the kitchen island. Liam, Theo, and Noah smiled at me as soon as they saw me.

I smiled back at them and walked into Dylan's arms.

“Oh, my baby.” Dylan said as he hugged me tightly. “How are you?”

“Better.” I said, hugging him back.

“Did you sleep, love?” Liam asked.

I stopped hugging Dylan and I looked at my oldest brother.

“I did.” I said, giving him a small smile.

“Are you hungry?” Liam asked me.

I gave him a small nod.

“I’m making her soup.” Ezra said.

“Make it light, Ezra.” Liam said. “She can’t eat anything that would upset her stomach.”

“I know, Liam.” Ezra said as he started to take out the ingredients that he needed. “Don’t worry.”

Theo approached me, picked me up, and placed me on one of the bar stools. He placed a hand on my forehead and smiled at me.

“You don’t have a fever.” he said.

“I told you that I’m not sick.” I said, smiling back at him.

Theo kissed my temple and hugged me.

“So, how is school, Shortcake?” Dylan asked, making me look at him.

My heart raced.

Well, I found two threatening notes in my locker so the school sucked.

I couldn’t tell him that, though. I couldn’t tell anyone that.

There was nothing to tell anyway. It was an empty threat.

“The school is fine.” I said, giving him a small smile.

“Any good grades?” Dylan grinned at me.

“She only gets good grades.” Liam said proudly, making me smile at him.

“Nerd.” Theo mumbled teasingly as he kissed the top of my head.

I looked up at him and rolled my eyes.

“Where are Carter and Matt?” Noah asked Dylan.

“Matt went out, and Carter is at home.” Dylan said as he took a sip of his coffee. “He didn’t feel like coming over and annoying Liam.”

“You should look up to him.” Liam said, making Dylan smirk.

“That’s never going to happen.” Dylan said. “I just love to annoy you so much.”

Liam rolled his eyes, making me chuckle.

“Hello, guys.” I heard Sienna’s voice, and I flinched.

All of us looked toward the kitchen door.

Sienna was standing there with a small smile on her face.

I didn’t even hear her come inside.

“Hey, baby.” Ezra said as he picked up the kitchen towel and wiped his hands. “What are you doing here?”

Theo tightened his hold on me.

“I decided to come visit you.” Sienna said. “I called, but you didn’t pick up your phone.”

Ezra approached her and kissed her on the lips.

“Sorry.” Ezra said softly. “I’m making soup for Lucy. She is sick.”

My heart raced. What would Sienna do? What would she say? Ezra was worried because of me again. Would she be angry at me?

Sienna looked at me, and I froze. I could see the disappointment in her eyes.

“What’s wrong, Lucy?” Sienna asked.

“I was sick at school today.” I said, trying to swallow the lump in my throat. “I’m better now.”

“Well, that’s all that matters.” Sienna said, smiling.

I could tell that the smile was fake. She was angry that I made Ezra worry again. She gave me a disapproving look that made me shiver. It made my heart stop beating, and it made my stomach twist again.

I leaned more into my brother.

I didn’t want to disappoint her. I didn’t mean to disappoint her.

I could feel tears gathering in my eyes.

I had to get out of there.

I forced myself to smile at Sienna.

I stood up, and Theo let me go.

“Where are you going?” Theo asked.

“I have to use the bathroom.” I said, trying to stop the tears from falling.

“Are you sick again, honey?” Ezra asked me worriedly.

“No.” I said as I started to walk away. “I just have to pee.”

I hurried toward the nearest bathroom, but the tears fell before I managed to close the door behind myself.

I leaned on the wall and sobbed quietly.

I didn’t mean to hurt Ezra again. I didn’t mean to make him worry. I didn’t mean to disappoint anyone.

I was just so scared. I was so scared.