Chapter 19

Ezra POV

My heart was going a mile a minute.

I was angry at the way Theo behaved.

I was worried about Lucy.

I was scared. What if something was really wrong with my baby? What if she was sick?

I was staring at her, fighting the urge to take her from Liam. I needed to know that she was okay. I needed to know that nothing was wrong.

But why was she so pale then? Why was she shaking? Why did she look like she was crying?

Liam sat down on the couch, placing Lucy on his lap, and pulling her closer to him. Theo and I sat in armchairs. Noah sat down next to Liam and placed a hand on Lucy’s thigh.

I leaned forward and placed my elbows on my knees. I looked at Theo. He had a pissed-off look on his face. I could see his jaw twitching constantly.

“Lucy, love, we need you to tell us what’s wrong.” Liam spoke softly. “We can tell that something isn’t right.”

“Nothing.” Lucy mumbled. “I’m just tired from what happened at school.”

Liam looked up at me. I could see the plea for help in his eyes.

“Lucy, honey, you know that you can tell us everything, right?” I asked softly, making her look up at me.

For the first time ever, I saw doubt in her eyes.

My heart stopped beating.

She told us everything! Everything! She came to us when she was scared. She came to us when she was sad. She came to us when she had nightmares. She never doubted us before.

What the fuck happened? Who the fuck made her doubt us?!

“I know.” she said, but I could tell that she didn’t mean it.

All of us could tell that she didn’t fucking mean it.

I was going to fucking kill someone!

“You are not so sure about that, Sunshine.” Noah said, his voice breaking. “You always came to us when you had a problem. What changed?”

Lucy bit her bottom lip, trying to stop it from trembling. She didn’t fool us, though.

“Oh, love.” Liam said softly as he wiped the tears from her cheeks. “Talk to us, please.”

I watched as Theo took a deep breath and clenched his fists. Noah squeezed Lucy’s thigh. He had tears in his eyes as well.

I did all I could fucking do to not jump up and grab her from Liam.

Lucy took a deep breath and looked at me.

Tears kept streaming down her cheeks faster than Liam could wipe them away.

My heart was breaking. I just wanted to take her in my arms.

Something confused me, though. She had a guilty look in her eyes.

Why was she feeling guilty?

“I know about Ezra.” Lucy mumbled as more tears fell on her cheek. “I wanted to protect Ezra.”

My heart fucking stopped.

The silence in the room was maddening.

We were staring at her with confused looks on our faces.

What the hell was she talking about?

I forced myself to speak first.

“What about me, honey?” I asked, my voice raspy.

The guilt in Lucy’s eyes only grew, and it made me so fucking scared.

“What were you trying to protect him from?” Liam asked her as he clenched his fists.

I saw furry in his eyes. I didn’t even need to look at Theo to know that he was pissed as fuck.

Lucy took a deep breath. Her eyes never left mine.

“I know that Ezra has trouble sleeping.” Lucy said quietly. “I know how tense and scared he is all the time.”

Trouble sleeping? Tense? Scared?

What the hell was she talking about?!

Liam looked at me, confused.

“What is she talking about, Ezra?” Noah asked, his voice trembling.

“I don’t know.” I said, making Lucy furrow her eyebrows. “Who told you that, Lucy?”

More tears fell on Lucy’s cheek as she stared at me.

“Sienna.” Theo said coldly.

My eyes snapped to him. His fists were clenched tight, and he was staring in front of himself with a murderous look on his face.

No way! Sienna wouldn’t do that. She wouldn’t lie to Lucy about something like that.

“Is that true, Lucy?” Liam asked her softly.

I looked back at my baby. Her eyes were wide, and I could see that she was terrified.
She looked at Liam, and a small sob escaped her.

Liam took that as a yes.

No way.

No fucking way!

“What did she tell you, love?” Liam asked her softly as he wiped her cheeks.

Lucy looked at me, making me stand up and walk toward her and Liam. I sat down next to them, pulled her from Liam’s arms, and placed her on my lap. I wrapped my arms tightly around her.

“What did she say, Lucy?” I asked as my heart broke inside my chest.

Did she really tell her that?

Why?

Why the fuck would she do that?!

“She told me that you have changed since you found me.” Lucy said quietly. “She told me that you can’t sleep. She told me that you were constantly tense and scared.”

I saw fucking red.

Why?

WHY?!

“What else, Lucy?” Liam asked her, his voice laced with anger.

“Well, she encouraged me to deal with my problems on my own instead of coming to you.” Lucy said quietly.

“I am going to fucking kill her!” Theo said, gritting his teeth.

I was right behind him!

I pulled my baby closer to me and kissed the top of her head.

“What else did she tell you, honey?” I asked, trying to keep the anger out of my voice.

“Nothing else, really.” Lucy said quietly. “She would tell me that you’ve gotten worse and that I had to be better at solving my problems on my own. She would tell me that she is proud if I didn’t ask for help, or she would tell me that she is disappointed if I did something that would worry you.”

I was going to kill her!

She was trying to separate Lucy from me! She was trying to separate Lucy from all of us!

Why?!

Why the fuck would she want that?! What would she gain?

“So none of that is true?” Lucy asked, looking up at me.

Her cheeks were puffy. Her eyes were red and swollen.

My heart broke.

“No, honey.” I said as my voice broke. “She lied. I don’t know why, but she lied. I am okay, baby. You can always come to me with anything. You are my priority. You are our priority, Lucy.”

Her bottom lip trembled, and she sobbed.

Liam wrapped his arms around both of us. Noah stood up and came to sit next to me and her. He placed his arms around her and leaned his head on her shoulder. Theo approached us and hugged Lucy from behind. He kissed the top of her head repeatedly.

“I am so sorry, Ezra.” Liam said softly as he leaned his head on mine.

I tightened my jaw and looked at my siblings. As long as I had them, I didn’t need anyone else.

I would deal with that bitch Sienna later.

Now I needed Lucy to tell us everything.

“What have you been keeping from us, honey?” I asked our sister as I kissed her cheek. “We need to know everything.”