Chapter 54

Noah POV

My heart was going to give out. I was sure of it.

I was holding on to Theo as hard as I could. I was sure that I would crumple to the floor if he wasn’t next to me.

I tried to figure out the answer before the doctor spoke. I tried to see it on his face. But it was impossible. His face was expressionless.

Theo squeezed my hand hard.

“Lucy is going to be okay.” the doctor finally spoke.

Oh, thank God!

The relief that washed over me almost made me pass out.

Theo cried out and wrapped his hands around my neck.

Ezra pulled Liam into a hug. Both of them sobbed quietly.

“Thank God.” my uncle mumbled, closing his eyes and taking a deep breath.

Dylan covered his mouth with his hand, muffling a sob that escaped him.

I couldn’t see anyone else because I turned my head around and leaned my forehead on Theo’s shoulder. I took a deep breath and tried to stop myself from shaking.

She was okay. I would get to see her soon.

“I want to see her.” Theo said, his voice trembling.

“She is still in surgery.” the doctor said. “They are finishing up. She will be moved to the ICU after they are done. You will get to see her then.”

Theo tightened his arms around me.

“She is really okay?” Mike asked quietly.

“Yes.” the doctor said. “The bullet missed her heart by a few inches. She is a lucky girl.”

Fuck.

A fucking few inches?!

“I will come get you once she is settled in her room.” the doctor said. “She will be asleep for a while.”

I didn’t care. I just needed to see her and listen to the beating of her heart. I needed to hear for myself that she was okay.

I heard the doctor walk away and I looked up.

Waiting for him to come back would be the toughest time in my life.

I needed to see her.

“How is Riley?” I heard Ezra’s voice.

“Okay.” Ethan mumbled. “She and Aiden are asleep.”

I closed my eyes and leaned my head on Theo’s.

“She is okay.” Theo mumbled quietly. “We will see her soon.”

“We need to protect her, Theo.” I said. “If someone hurts her again, I will fucking lose it.”

“Oh, no one is getting near her.” Theo mumbled angrily. “Trust me. I won’t let anyone see her, let alone come close to her.”

Theo’s arms around me tightened. I could feel his rage.

I agreed with him, though. Everyone had their fucking chance. They lost it. No one is getting near her again.

I tightened my arms around my brother and waited for the doctor to come back and get us. For a while there, I thought that I would fall asleep, but I was way too tense. I wouldn't be able to sleep until I saw her.

After a while, I heard footsteps approaching us.

I opened my eyes and saw the doctor again.

Theo and I jumped up immediately. So did my brothers and the rest of my family and friends.

“Is she okay?” Liam asked, panicked. “Can we see her now?”

The doctor nodded, making me want to cry in relief.

“I can’t let everyone in, though.” the doctor said. “Only her brothers can come in right now.”

I was so fucking fine with that. I didn’t want anyone there anyway.

“Take us, please.” Theo said as he approached the doctor.

The doctor nodded and started walking away. I rushed after him.

“We will let you know when you can see her.” I heard Liam’s voice behind me.

I kept my eyes on the doctor the entire time. My heartbeat quickened with each step I took. How far away was her room?!

The doctor finally stopped in front of a door. He turned around to look at us.

“Be careful with the wires.” he said. “She is still asleep and will be for a while. She will be a bit confused after she wakes up. Don’t be concerned. It’s normal after anesthesia.”

I nodded. I resisted the urge to shove him aside and open the fucking door.

“I will give you some privacy.” the doctor said as he twisted the doorknob. “Press the red button above her bed if you need anything.”

I couldn't hear my blood pumping through my veins.

I wanted to scream at him to just open the fucking door!

He finally did.

My brothers gasped. My heart broke.

She was lying in bed, hooked up to bunch of different machines. She was so pale.

“Why is she so pale?” I cried out.

“That’s normal after the blood loss.” the doctor said.

I finally forced my body to move. My brothers and I rushed to her.

“Oh, my baby.” Liam said, his voice breaking.

He took her hand and placed it on his cheek.

I finally wrapped my arms around her. I finally got to hold her.

Theo sobbed and buried his nose in her hair.

Ezra took her hand in his and kissed it.

“You are going to be okay, honey.” Ezra mumbled. “You are going to be okay.”

I pressed my ear against her chest. I could heart her heartbeat and it made me cry. She was okay. She didn’t leave me.

My eyes fell on the machine that was monitoring her heart. The rhythm was normal.

“Don’t you ever do something stupid like that again.” Theo said, making me look up at him.

His forehead was pressed against hers. He was holding her head in his hands and caressing her cheeks with his thumbs.

“I will kick your ass if you even think about doing something like this ever again.” Theo continued. “You can’t leave us. You can’t leave me.”

“Something like this will never happen again.” I said sternly. “No one will approach her again. No one will be allowed near.”

I looked at my older brothers and narrowed my eyes at them.

“You can have girlfriends, but they can’t come near Lucy.” I said, tightening my jaw. “You can’t bring them home. You can’t even tell them about her.”

Liam sighed. Ezra kept his eyes on Lucy. He didn’t even look up at me.

“You don’t have to worry about that, Noah.” Liam mumbled. “No one will ever be allowed near her again. I am thinking about homeschooling as well.”

“That is a great idea.” Ezra mumbled, placing another kiss on her hand. “She will be safest at home.”

“And we are getting security guards.” Liam added. “Everyone who wants to come inside our home will have to get checked.”

“I agree.” I said, looking back at my sister.

Theo still hadn’t moved. I saw tears rolling down his cheeks.

My heart clenched painfully.

I wrapped my arms around both of them and kissed Theo’s temple.

“She is okay.” I told him. “She is alive.”

Theo looked up at me and took a deep breath.

“I was so scared.” he mumbled, his voice breaking.

Liam and Ezra wrapped their arms around us.

“She is okay, Grumpy.” Liam said. “She is going to wake up soon.”

I couldn’t wait for her to wake up. I couldn’t wait to hear her voice.

I took a deep breath and leaned into Ezra.

“Come on, honey, wake up.” Ezra mumbled. “We are waiting for you.”