Chapter One

Lorena

While standing in front of the big house - no - of the huge estate, I try to regulate my breathing. My mother wanted me to bring her, her work key, which she had left at home again. Today she said she had to do an extra cleaning shift because there was a big party going on, that's why she couldn't pick up the key on her own.

While I look around, I brush my wet hair out of my face. I had to run from home because I didn't have enough money for a bus ticket. I never thought my life would be like this one day. But before I sink too deep into my thoughts, I take out my phone to see if my mother has finally written me back. She should have been out over 15 minutes ago so that I could hand her the key.

As more minutes passed, I decided to ring the bell at the house. I'm sure someone can tell me where I can find my mother. I walked to the front gate, which was surprisingly open. They were probably expecting a lot of guests for the party and didn't want to cause them any trouble.

While walking, I looked around. The front yard alone is as big as my home and the grass looks almost too green to be true. If I had that much money, I wouldn't even know what to do with it. Actually, that's a lie. I would know exactly what to do with the money. When I got to the front door, I rang the bell and waited. A few minutes passed and no one came. Where is everyone? I tried my luck and turned the doorknob and it really opened. I would never have thought of myself as a housebreaker, but all that waiting really made me impatient.

"Hello, is anyone home?" But before I could take a step into the house, several men with guns came towards me. 

I started screaming like any normal person would do. "Please don't hurt me." 

"What are you doing in my house?", a deep voice asked me. Confused, I looked around. The men, who by the way were still pointing guns at me, just looked at me and didn't talk. So, where was the voice coming from? 

"Are you deaf? I asked what you are doing in my house." 

"Hello person I can't see. I am looking for my mother." Suddenly I heard loud footsteps and then it became clear to me that the person was most likely standing on the upper floor.

Dark. Tall. Handsome.

I think I'm dreaming! How can a person look so good?

"Who is your mother? Are you coming to spy on me? Did Callum send you?" Before I can answer, I hear my mother's voice. 

"Lorena, what are you doing here? That's my daughter. Mr. Russo please excuse the inconvenience. Lorena just wanted to bring me the keys." My mother quickly ran up to me and took me aside. Slowly, the men around us dropped their weapons. 

"Andrea, I don't care if it's your daughter or not. I have one rule. No strangers in my house, capito!" he yelled.

"Hey, who gives you the right to yell at my mother like that. Who do you think you are?" Maybe I shouldn't have yelled in a house with armed men, but there's nothing I hate more than when someone yells at my mother.

"Lorena!" my mother hissed. "As I said Mr. Russo I feel terribly sorry, it won't happen again. We'll go outside for a minute and then I'll get right back to work." 

"Yeah, better get that brat out of my house before I forget myself." I was about to say something before my mother put her hand over my mouth and led me out. 

"Lorena, didn't I tell you to wait for me outside?" 

"Mom, what kind of people do you work for? You're yelling at me even though there are men with guns running around. Where have we ended up here?", frustrated, I run my hand through my hair.