Chapter Two

Lorena

I blink several times to be able to process what just happened. Several people are lying on the ground. Are they dead? 

"I have to get inside, my mother could be lying here somewhere," I scream. 

"I'm sure nothing happened to your mother. Now shut up and let me think," he says, annoyed.

 How the hell can he be annoyed?! This is not a situation where you are annoyed. Scared, yes, maybe angry, but certainly not annoyed. And especially not from me.

I don't care what he says, I'm not leaving my mother to die. I tear my hand away from him and open the patio door. 

"Lorena," I hear him hiss.

I throw myself to the floor and crawl behind the kitchen counter. From far away, I can hear gunshots. I don't think my heart has ever beaten so hard. 

"Okay Lorena don't panic," I mutter to myself.

"Damn it, what did I tell you." Startled, I look up as I see - wait a minute - I don't even know his first name. 

"I told you I wasn't leaving my mother behind. Either help me or leave me the hell alone." 

"Una stronza pazza.", he muttered while running his hand over his face. 

"We can talk another time about how you shouldn't call women sluts. Now shut up and help me find my mom," I said annoyed as I continued to look around. Why does this house have to be so damn big! 

"Come on! I know how to find her." He grabs my hand and pulls me behind him. 

"Mia cara, I'm not telling you again. If you don't want to get shot, you walk behind me and don't make a sound."

We walk along the wall. Just as he's about to turn the corner, someone comes running toward us. Without hesitation he shoots twice. I put my hand over my mouth so that I can't scream.

 "Don't look so surprised. He would have shot us.", he said annoyed. 

How can a person be so annoyed? And how does he mean that I shouldn't be surprised, of course it's totally normal to shoot people, how stupid of me.

We get to a library. "Keep a lookout and take the weapon for protection." He wants to put the gun in my hands. 

"Are you crazy? I'm certainly not going to shoot people." 

"Lorena, do you want to find your mother or not? I need to move the shelfs. If you want to try it, be my guest. Otherwise, shut up and take the gun." Reluctantly, I take the gun in my hand and keep a lookout. Please God, I don't want to have to shoot anyone today. 

"Hey, what's your name?", I whisper. 

"Are you fucking serious. There are people shooting around in this house and you ask me for my name," he laughs in disbelief. 

"Yeah, well if I'm going to insult you in my mind, at least I want to do it with a name." 

"Dante."

Damn it! Why does his name have to be hot? Couldn't it have been Alfred?

"Come on." I turn around and see that there is a room behind the bookshelfs. I walk quickly toward him and hand him back the gun. He locks the door and takes the remote control from the shelf. 

"If you want to watch TV now, I'm going to rip your head off."

"Has anyone ever told you that you talk so much shit it's coming out of your ears." Offended, I cross my arms. He turns on the TV and surveillance footage comes on.