Chapter Nineteen

Dante

Lorena's kiss surprised me. I didn't write the cheque for Tommy so that Lorena thinks well of me, but because his story touches me. Would I ever admit this? Absolutely not. However, I am glad that at least some of my money goes to a good cause.

We sit in the car and there is a pleasant silence. I can feel it. The energy between us has changed. I know that Lorena wants more. I just can't interpret whether she just wants sex or a relationship. But there will be neither.

Don't get me wrong. I would take her in a heartbeat, but it never ends well if it's just sex and I don't want a serious relationship. My only relationship is with the mafia. Besides, she still has too many secrets.

When we arrive, Lorena opens her mouth to say something. Before she can get a word in, I say: "We have to leave tomorrow morning. It's best to go to sleep right away. The jet will leave here at 09:00 a.m." I open my car door and walk into the house without looking back. That's the best way for both of us.

---

"Where are you off to?" asks Mauro, as he walks into the dining room, the next morning.

"We're going to Chicago. I have a few things to discuss with Lorenzo," I say as I flip through my newspaper.

"Listen, there's a rumour going around."

"Do I look like I'm interested in petty gossip?" I look at him, annoyed.

"You'll certainly be interested."

"Mauro, do things ever go easy with you? Do I have to guess what you're going to tell me every time? Smettetela di farmi perdere tempo."

"Capito capo, lei è occupato. Anyway, the men talk about how nothing has changed with the Irish and it's because you prefer to spend time with your lovely wife instead of working."

I crumple up my newspaper in anger. "You can tell them that they are paid to do the dirty work and not me. If I hear anything like that again, I'll rip the tongue out of every single one of their mouths. Capito!"

"The message has been clearly received. I will convey it in this way. Have fun in Chicago," he says before stealing a piece of bacon from my plate and walking out the door.

I'm just so angry because I know my men are right. I didn't take care of it properly because my jealousy drives me to a children's performance rather than to my work.

"Morning." says Lorena as she walks in. She looks good. She is wearing a dark green dress that goes well with her hair.

"You're late. We're running out of time and have to go," I hiss. I see her smile disappear. If I wasn't so angry, I might apologise, but it's time we stuck to our deal and I accept my role as Don. I don't have time to care about anyone else's feelings.

"Certamente.", she murmurs and walks out. It turns something on in me when I hear her speak Italian. However, I don't have time to explore this.

I walk out the front door and see that Lorena is already in the limousine. She is typing furiously on her phone. Maybe she's writing about me. This thought makes me laugh. I get in and tell my driver to drive off.

During the drive, I hear her laugh and then continue writing. I try to concentrate on my own e-mails, but her laughter takes my mind off things.

After the tenth giggle, I say, "What's so funny?"

"Nothing." she says with a shrug and continues typing away on her phone. I just sigh and continue writing my email.

When she starts laughing again, my patience breaks. I take her phone away and see what she is doing. "This is an invasion of my privacy. Give me my phone back," she screams.