Chapter Seven

Lorena

It's been more than two weeks since Dante and I saw each other. After the engagement party, I went straight home and let the events of the last few days sink in. 

Since I only work in the center for the disabled, I have so much free time that I don't know what to do with myself. Maybe I should take up a hobby. I quickly dismiss the thought. I don't do sports voluntarily.

Just as I'm about to get up from my bed, my phone rings. The call ID says Devil 1. I quickly pick it up and say, "Is everything okay?" 

"Yes, of course everything is all right. Why wouldn't it be?" the voice hisses. 

"You usually never call me." 

"Don't be so dramatic. I just wanted to inform you that the 20th isn't going to work after all."

I can feel my tears coming up. "What? Why not? You can't do that," I whisper. 

"Now listen to me! I can do whatever I want. I don't have time on the 20th. You can come on the 30th, but I can't do it before then."

I was about to say yes when I suddenly remembered that the 30th was supposed to be my wedding. I can't possibly postpone my wedding. Everything is in planning and Dante would not allow it.

"I'm afraid I can't make it on the 30th. Are you sure you can't make it on the 20th or a day in between?" I ask hopefully. 

"Well, look at that. What could be more important than getting to Conneticut?" 

She does it all the time. She twists and turns it so that I look like the bad guy. I didn't want to tell her I was getting married because she would use it against me somehow.

"I have a life, too. I can't just drop everything to come to Conneticut on a random day." Apparently, that wasn't what she wanted to hear. "Lorena, when you get your life together, you can get back to me. You can come next month if your schedule allows," she hisses before hanging up.

Tears are flowing down my cheek. Every time we talk on the phone, I feel worse than before. She cancels, but then twists it so that I feel bad. My phone rings again and I pick it up without looking at the caller ID. "Hello?" I ask. 

"Lorena, I haven't heard from you in two weeks. Our wedding is in 15 days. We need to be seen. It can't be that my future wife is hiding." I'm only half listening. I don't care about the wedding right now. I have other problems at the moment. 

"Damn it, are you listening to me!" hisses Dante.

"Dante, I really don't have the nerve for this. If you want to see me, you know my number and where I live. I wasn't hiding, I was just living my life. I'm not a selfish person. I can't always drop everything for others. What about me? Maybe I have something to do too. Are my needs not important? Why does everything always revolve around others?" I almost scream towards the end. Tears continue to flow down my face, and I start sobbing.

"Principessa, is everything okay?", Dante asks. 

"Do I sound like everything is okay to you?"

"No, but-" 

"Please today is one of the worst days to argue with me. I'll try harder to make sure we're seen. Maybe we can get together this weekend. Ciao.", I say before hanging up. I throw myself back on the bed and scream into one of my pillows.

Could this day get any worse?

---

Yes, the day can go worse. I got my period during the afternoon and now I'm crying while watching my favourite movie. "She can't die," I yell at my TV.