Chapter Twenty-two

Dante

After Lorena had cried herself to sleep, I take her to our room. I lay her gently on the bed and stroke her hair. Suddenly I stop and think about what the hell I'm doing here. When did I become sentimental?

What is this woman doing to me?

I don't know this feeling. It feels like someone is crushing my heart. I have the urge to set the whole world on fire.

I usually use violence because I'm bored or I need to make a statement. But with her, I have to kill someone for every one of her tears.

It's time to set the world on fire.
---

"Can't we just slash him or burn him or bathe him with acid? Anything fun?", Mauro asks me with shining eyes.

I asked Mauro to come to my office half an hour ago. I wanted to plan with him how we can help Lorena to have her son back. However, he's been babbling at me for over half an hour about how we can best kill Matteo.

I would love to give him hell. However, for once in my life I have to think of another person first and that means proceeding in a structured way.

"Mauro, switch off your murderousness for a second and think like a normal person. If we kill Matteo, what leverage do we have against Helen?"

"Where's all the fun then?", he looks at me sulkily.

I grab my nose in annoyance and count to ten before I kill him.

"I have a plan and your job is not to kill anyone, but to threaten to. Capito!" He rolls his eyes and mutters to himself before walking out of the office.

---

"Jesus Christ, who are you." she cries, holding her hand in front of her chest.

I look around the apartment. It is small, but fine. There are many pictures of Henry. He is a cute little boy. But what bothers me is that there is not a single picture of Lorena and Henry together.

This will change in the future.

"Aren't you going to ask me if I want something to drink? After all, I flew four hours to see you," I look at her with a grin.

"What? I always knew a mental patient would walk into my house one day. I never wanted to live next to a psychiatric ward, but this old bastard of a husband wanted us to show a good image to the public. After all, no one can help their illness. What a stupid shit," she runs her fingers through her hair hysterically.

How can she go crazy? I haven't even started torturing her yet.

Suddenly she stops, startled, and says: "Did you just say you flew here for four hours? Then you didn't escape from the psychiatric ward at all. Who the hell are you?"

"Thank you for finally giving me the attention I deserve."

"I have different names. Some call me Dante, others devil or don, and you can call me your worst nightmare...." I say with a grin. I love to see my enemies trembling.

Call me a sadist, but the woman who has made my wife's life hell for five years will pay for it.

"I'm calling the police. Get out of here!" she screeches and takes her phone out of her pocket. I run up to her and snatch the phone out of her hand.

"Helen, I thought you were smarter than that." I shove her onto the sofa and she looks at me with fearful eyes.

"What do you want? I don't have any money in the apartment and there are no valuables either." Her old fingers tremble.