038. Happy Ending.

THE TWO teenage girls on either side of Steve share looks that makes the 19 year old sigh and roll his eyes. "Look, sometimes you two get on my nerves and I hate you two sometimes because all you do is pester me for favours, rides to places and annoy me with your lovey-dovey crap at work... but I also love you guys. Very much." He clears his throat, feeling a bit weird having to say that.

Especially to them, when they never talk personally like that, the only time they do is when the three of them have sleepovers time to time, especially at Steve's when sleepless nights hit and they sit on the floor of Steve's room. His room that one night during the fall last year, he admitted he avoids looking out the window that overlooks the backyard pool.

The same pool Barbara Holland died. So, the two girls and their best friend stayed up until 5 am moving every single one of his items from that room to another that doesn't have a window looking over the pool, but rather the road. Steve preferred it much better, so much that after they moved his stuff, he fell asleep talking to the two girls. Val had pulled a blanket over him, kissed the side of his head and went to the guest bedroom with Robin, hand in hand. They're his best friends.

They're like his sisters. "And I don't like whatever it is you guys have going on that makes you guys act the way you do, I don't know what it is... But what I do know that I love you guys, and I love the love that you guys have for each other... it made me start believing in it again after my parents, after what happened with Nancy and I." He shrugs, looking down as he puts the funnel into another bottle that he then holds up towards Val.

"Can you... give Robin and I some alone time to talk?" Val finally spoke, the whole time it had been Steve rambling about the two girls' relationship and whatnot. He glanced between them then nodded. "Yeah, of course." He said before getting up, going over to where Dustin and Eddie were standing.

"Hi." Val whispers, moving over to where Steve had been sitting. "Hi." Robin smiled softly, grabbing the bottle Steve had put down, holding the funnel for Valerie who started pouring the kerosene. "Think he's right? That... something else is going on between us?" Valerie asked her and Robin glanced up at her. "Is there?" She said quietly and Valerie put down the kerosene can down. "No... I mean, I hope not anyway. I mean, we'd tell each other... right?" She asked and Robin nods.

"I think... it's just all this stuff happening again. Maybe," Valerie fidgets with her pants, playing with the seams and Robin stared at her. "Val," she says and her girlfriend finally looks back at her. "I don't think anything is going on, but... why should it matter, right? With everything going on." She glanced around at the others and Valerie furrowed her brows.

"I just mean, In the face of the world ending, our relationship isn't our top priority." Robin said and Valerie glanced down. "Right." She said and Robin sighed. "I just mean not everything has a happy ending." She explained and Valerie looks at her with an alarmed look. "Like with us?" She asked and Robin chuckled, shaking her head. "No... no, of course not." She reached out, grabbing her girlfriend's hand. "I'm not talking about us." She said and then sighed, rubbing Valerie's hand gently.

"I just... I have this terrible, gnawing feeling that... it might not work out for us this time." Robin says and Valerie stared at her with concern. "You don't think we should be doing this?" She asked, setting down the jug of kerosene onto the side. "I think we're mad fools, the lot of us, but..." Robin sighs, looking over at the others, Nancy practicing her aim as Max stood nearby, Dustin and Eddie messing around with their make-shift shields as Steve watched them with a slightly annoyed but amused face, Erica and Lucas messing around with the spears, "but if we don't stop him, who will?" Robin added, looking back.

Valerie watched the others a bit longer before nodding softly, looking back at Robin. "We have to try, right?" The blonde asked and Valerie just smiles softly. "Yeah. We've been heroes before, we can be again, right?" She asked and Robin just smiled, nodding. "To killing Vecna." She raised one of the bottles and Robin smiles, grabbing one of the other ones with the rag in it. "Slash Henry."

"Slash One." Valerie said before clinking the empty bottle to the molotov in her girlfriend's hand. She sighed and leaned over this time, pressing a longing kiss to her girlfriend's lips before retracting from her. "We got this, right?" She whispered and Robin nods. "Geniuses Valerie Smith and Nancy Wheeler came up with the plan, we got this." She says and Valerie smiles widely before leaning in, connecting their lips into another kiss again.

"And you were right, nothing's going on between us like Steve was so worried about and even if there was, it isn't our main goal at the moment. Plan Kill Vecna is." Val pulls back as she nods softly, smiling faintly at Robin who nods, squeezing her girlfriend's hand in hers. "He's worried over nothing, I mean we are like his moms and he's had bad luck with his birth parents, he's just overthinking it." The taller jokes making the shorter giggle as she picked up the kerosene can again.

"Yeah..." She says and Steve finally returns to them, arms crossed before sitting on the other side of Valerie. "You two okay now?" He asked and Robin nods. "As okay as two people going in headfirst into a fight against some child-murdering dude with powers." She says and Steve nodded his head softly.

"Good, good. I've been worried, you know because--" "Steve, you don't ever have to worry about us." Val says as she glanced over before continuing to pour the kerosene. "I know because we've been friends for so long and I helped you instead of ditching you that night we looked for Dart with Dustin, but you don't owe me anything, you know?" She said as they fill up the last bottle and Robin set it aside. "And I know you worry and care because we're your friends, but you don't have to. We're fine, our relationship is fine." She says as she turns in her seat a bit to face the older.

"Okay..." Steve glanced between them, but it's the way Steve is, worrying all the time and watching over others, he can't just stop it, he can't help himself but he smiles and nods, glancing away. "Are you guys sure--" "Steve. Our relationship's never been stronger." Robin says, cutting him off and he chuckles. "Okay..." He says, nodding his head.

And then the group were headed off, all ready in their gear, driving in silence. No one spoke, just complete silence. Valerie sat with Robin's hand in hers and her head onto the other's shoulder as the two of them all sat in the back with Dustin and Eddie. Lucas was seated at the table with her sister and Max, as their destination was first. "Alright, we're here." The first person to speak is Nancy, turning back around.

"Don't forget..." She tells Max who nods, "no deviating from the plan, no matter what." She says and Nancy nods. "Good luck." She says and Max nods before she joins Erica and Lucas outside, closing the door behind her. Valerie moved to sit at the table, watching the three turn towards the Creel house, then the RV was off again, driving away from them as Valerie turns back around, sighing softly.

authors note
hopefully I finish this fic by maybe chapter 40? maybe i'll make the last two chapters 2000+ words long to make the last episode fit all into two chapters, but idk yet lol