Winter Solstice Part 1: The Spirit World

We embarked on another adventure in the Earth Kingdom before going on this one, where we landed in a forest nearby a village that was under Fire Nation rule. We met an earthbender named Haru and after one thing happened after another, we found ourselves in a prison in the form of a metal rig offshore, meeting a lot of other earthbenders who were imprisoned by the Fire Nation. And after re-infusing them with courage and giving them earth in the form of coal to bend, they managed to fight back and liberate themselves from the prison and just like that, we were off to our next destination.

Appa soars through the milk-like clouds as the four of us sat on his saddle, each of us doing our own things. I for one had nothing to do so I closed my eyes, leaning back against Appa's saddle and crossing my legs indolently. As usual, I had no idea where we were going. 'I guess that makes life more interesting.'

Katara was gazing at the clouds around us dreamily, "Those clouds look so soft, don't they? Like you could just jump down and you'd land in a big, soft, cottony heap?"

"Maybe you should give it a try, Katara," Sokka teased.

Katara sighs in annoyance, "You're hilarious."

"Don't give Aang any ideas guys," I speak up, opening my eyes in time to see Aang grabbing hold of his staff. "Too late."

"I'll try it!" Aang volunteers, jumping off Appa and sailing down into the clouds beneath us, without even utilising his staff, all of this while laughing joyously like a little kid receiving candy.

I pop my head over the rim of Appa's saddle along with Katara and Sokka, seeing if I could catch a glimpse of Aang and after a few seconds, my ear captures the sound of snapping, indicative of Aang's staff closing so I turn around with the duo, seeing that Aang had plopped back down onto Appa unharmed and dripping with water.

"Turns out, clouds are made of water." Aang slams his left fist into his right hand, creating an air ball to dry himself off.

"Nice airbending," I noted, imitating his actions and creating a similar air ball of mine.

"You're a natural, Suzume," Aang praised.

"Hey, what is that?" Katara's voice grabs my attention and my gaze follows hers, seeing a large, dark patch of burnt land among the lush green landscape, standing out like a ghastly scar and evidently a scourge to the beauty of the forest.

"It's like a scar..." Sokka's voice trails off. 'For once Sokka and I actually think alike.'

We decide to head over to the aforementioned area and we alight from Appa once he lands in the very middle of the area. I observe and examine my surroundings and I have to say, it appeared far more barren and gloomy down here than it was from the skies, the absence of any forms of life apart from us already making itself known.

"Listen. It's so quiet. There's no life anywhere," Sokka commented.

"Aang, are you okay?" Katara's question draws my attention to Aang, who looked dejected. I could feel sadness crashing out from him like waves, it was almost tangible.

Sokka suddenly begins a rage-inspired tirade, "Fire Nation! Those evil savages make me sick! They have no respect for-"

"Shhh!" Katara cuts him off before he could ramble and rant any further.

Aang kneels down on the ground lugubriously, "Why would anyone do this? How could I let this happen?"

Katara stares at Aang sympathetically, "Aang, you didn't let this happen. It has nothing to do with you."

"Yes, it does. It's the Avatar's job to protect nature. But I don't know how to do my job."

"And so do I Aang, we both don't know how to do our job." 'Woah that came out harsher than expected.' "But how do you expect two twelve-year-old kids to immediately know what to do, how to bring balance to the world when we were trapped in that iceberg for 100 years? The best we can do now is start learning how we should be doing our job, better late than never and we'll do it together. We owe it to the world to learn." I walk over to Aang and offer him a hand, which he doesn't take.