Mini Adventure: Dirty Is Only Skin Deep

Realising that we desperately needed to clean ourselves up from all our previous endeavours, we head to a river. While Katara, Sokka, Aang and I were washing our clothes in a river and bathing, Toph was playing in a puddle of mud with Momo, singing rather loudly, "Oh where, oh where has my badger-mole gone, oh where, oh where can he beeeee?" 

"Great singing, Toph," I teased. "Could you sing that song for me before I sleep every night?"

"I'll do that when I get a shower," Toph snorted. "So you can keep dreaming, waterhead."

"What did you just call me?" I glared at Toph. 

"Toph!" Katara cuts in quickly. "Why don't you...join us? The water's really nice and refreshing and...clean."

"Yeah, your clothes could use a good washing and, quite frankly, you're getting kind of rank," Sokka admitted.

"My clothes are not dirty!" Toph argued. "This is a protective layer of earth! It's an earthbending thing. I don't expect you to understand."

Sokka pinches his nose in disgust, blocking off the horrible smell that was drifting off Toph, "And I suppose your stink is meant to repel the enemy too?" Toph only sticks her tongue out at Sokka in response. 

Aang and I couldn't help but snicker at this. "Heh-heh. It's getting hot out here. Why don't we all just cool off?" Aang suggested.

"Yeah, come on, a little bit of water won't hurt anyone. You're not scared of water, are you, Toph?" I questioned mockingly, hoping to tempt her to join us in the water.

"Nope, I just hate it," Toph answered plainly.

"Come on, Toph, I'll wash your hair for you," Katara comes out of the river, grabbing Toph's hand and dragging her to the river. 

"I don't want to take a bath! Let go of my arm!" Toph protested.

"Suzume, a little help here," Katara requested and I leap out of the water with airbending, going to the other side of Toph and grabbing her other hand.

"Toph, you desperately need a bath," I reasoned, dragging her to the water. "Come on, let Katara and I help you. Well, you should be old enough to be able to bathe yourself, to be honest, so you should be thankful that Katara and I are willing to help you."

"Let go or else!" Toph warned and without warning, a pillar of earth emerges in front of Katara and me, smacking both of us in the face.

"Ow!" Both of us cry out in pain, scowling at Toph.

"Fine, you really wanna play that way? If you won't come to the water, then maybe we should bring the water to you!" Katara and I exchange nods, both of us waterbending a geyser of water underneath her which shoots her up in the air. 

"Hey! Put me down!" Toph demanded.

"If you say so," I direct the water back to the river and along with it, Toph, making sure to drop her into a shallow area of water close to Aang and Sokka.

"Whoaaa!" Toph shouted as she fell into the river with a splash.

Aang shields himself from the water, giggling a little at our antics, "Okay, that was kind of funny. And also a bit mean. But mostly funny."

Toph begins to flail in the water dramatically, looking as if she were helpless. "Help! I can't swim! Help me!" 

"The water's really shallow, Toph!" Aang reassured.

"Seriously Toph?" I chuckled, exchanging amused looks with Katara. "Just stand up, you'll be fine."

"I'm drowning! Both of you are drowning me! I have been drowned!" Toph shouted dramatically. 

"Geez, Toph! Just stand up!" Sokka reiterated.

"Oh, brother!" Katara parts the water around Toph, Aang and Sokka, revealing a muddy area. 

"Farewell...from my watery grave! Tell the badgermoles I shall miss them most!" Toph exclaimed as if she was dying, continuing to flail around in the mud and splattering mud all over us, the mud even getting onto the dress Katara was washing.

"Great. I just washed this," Katara groaned.

"Well, that was a lesson learnt, I'm never forcing Toph to take a shower again," I grumbled.

"Same," Katara agreed.

"Look on the bright side. Now all of us are covered in a 'protective layer of earth!" Aang joked.

"Yeah, look out, Fire Nation, here's mud in your eye!" Sokka quipped sarcastically.