The Guru

We land at the Water Tribe camp and Aang turns to Sokka in excitement. "You haven't seen your dad in over two years. You must be so excited!"

"I know I should be, but, I just feel sick to my stomach," Sokka holds his hand to his stomach, looking a little queasy.

"Don't be nervous. He's going to be so happy to see you!" Aang puts his hand on Sokka's shoulder encouragingly.

"I mean, I'd be glad to see you if I were your father too. I'm sure he's proud of all the things you've done," I smiled.

Sokka's frown metamorphoses into a smile as he changes the topic. "So what about you two? Are both of you nervous about meeting this guru?" 

"Yes," I replied while Aang answered the opposite, causing both of us to look at each other.

"Suzume, you have nothing to be nervous about," Aang advised reassuringly. "We're ready to master the Avatar State. I'll do whatever it takes and I'm sure you will too, Suzume," Sokka gets off Appa, waving both of us goodbye. "See you in a week. Yip yip!"

Appa soars off into the skies and we continue on our journey to the Eastern Air Temple.

I sit at the reins with Aang, gazing at him nervously, "Aang, I feel like we'll have to sacrifice something to master the Avatar State. I don't think we can master the Avatar State without giving anything back in return."

"I guess so," Aang nodded in agreement. "But whatever it is, I'll sacrifice it for the good of the world."

"Then I'll do the same," I smiled, both of us exchanging smiles. "We'll do it together."

When the sky turns a dark orange hue, we finally spot the Eastern Air Temple and a monk sitting in front of the temple, meditating silently. We land just in front of him, alighting from Appa. 

We walk up to him slowly, Aang initiating a conversation with him rather awkwardly. "Uhhh.. hello? You're Guru Pathik, right? The person who attached the note to Appa's horn?"

"Indeed. I was a spiritual brother of your people and a personal friend of Monk Gyatso," the monk opens his eyes, gazing at me. "And a personal friend of your father."

"What?" Both Aang and I exchange surprised glances. 

"Indeed," Guru Pathik nodded. "I know you don't remember your parents or memories of your life before this, but once you complete today's exercises, you will slowly start to regain your memories."

"Who is my father?" I questioned, staring intently at him. 

"That is a question you'll find the answer to yourself," Guru Pathik advised. 

"That's what everyone tells me," I grumbled, Aang placing a comforting hand on my shoulder in response.

"In your note," Both Aang and I sit in front of Guru Pathik. "you said you could teach both of us how to gain control of the Avatar State. How?"

"Both of you must gain balance within yourselves before you two can bring balance to the world and since this is the first time there are two Avatars, you must also bring balance to each other should the need arise. And the first step to gaining balance begins with this. Drink up!" Guru Pathik hands us both wooden bowls filled with some sort of yellow, gooey liquid. 

I glance at Aang unsurely. 'Aang, I'm not sure if I want to drink this.'

Aang glances back at me, looking slightly disgusted. 'But I guess we'll have to drink this if we want to master the Avatar State.'

Both Aang and I drink it simultaneously, instantly spitting it out after a weird combination of flavours intrudes our taste buds.