Chapter 7: Dragons and Detention

From that day forward Harry and Cayden kept a close eye on Quirrell with the help of Ron and Hermonie. They were all waiting for Quirrell to break but as he got thinner and thinner he still seemed to keep his composure. Cayden still wasn't fooled, something was off about him and he was going to find out what. He saw harry a few times give an encouraging smile whenever he passed Quirrell but he gave him a knowing glare. As the days went by he felt guilt for not studying but he couldn't shake the feeling that something was off he just couldn't put his foot on it. His guilt only continued as teachers piled on the work and Snape was the worst of all. Him telling Cayden to "Stay behind" became more and more frequent. He never gave Snape anything useful after all its not like he had much to say.

One day after school the trio were hanging out in the library and Cayden was spying on them. He knew it would be more useful to look into Quirrell but he just couldn't keep his eyes off the trio. According to Harry he was a friend and to some extent he was but he knew once this was over there would be no close friendship like Harry had with Ron and Hermione just a miserable summer alone. Lucky he was pulled away from his thoughts by a familiar half giant walking towards the group. With a book on dragons, now for most magical creatures lovers this would be completely normal except that Hagrid already knew a ton about dragons and he wasn't the type to just pickup a book for fun. There was something off and Cayden needed to find out. He followed the grounds keeper out to his hut making sure not to make a sound and hide whenever he looked. That's when he saw it. A small burst of flame and then Hagrid closed his curtains. Whatever he was up to Cayden needed to stick around to find out. After about an hour of watching and listening to Hagrid's mumbling he saw the trio walking up to the hut and he decided to keep out of view. Hagrid let them in but soon later kicked them out with little information. He knew Hagrid had gotten a dragon from the trio's muttering but when he saw harry get a note a few days later, he knew.

Cayden followed the trio to Hagrid hut and soon found out his secret. Hagrid had gotten not just any dragon but his favorite. There were only three people in the school that could worm out the information from him and Quirrell was on the top of that list. He didn't have any proof though and what could he have gained from giving Hagrid a dragon. Luckily his answers would come soon enough from a frantic Draco informing him that Harry had a dragon and was going to give it away tonight. He pretended that Draco was crazy but Draco stormed out saying how he would prove it. Cayden however believed him and checked on his mirror. If they truly were giving away this dragon there is one person Ron would make sure they called. Charlie. He opened up his mirror and whispered the name. It had been a while since he had seen his older brother, he wondered what he would say if he knew but sure enough he saw on his desk Ron's letter and he knew that it was true. Cayden camped out waiting for them and saw Draco get caught. He had stolen sorry borrowed Harry's broomstick and watched from the sky just high enough that the massive towers of Hogwarts would cover him. He saw the dragon being safely taken away but he never saw his brother, either of them. On his way back from returning the stick he saw Harry and Hermonie getting caught by filch. He decided to sneak up back to the tower. If they weren't invisible it is possible that harry forgot his cloak and he was right, however he wasn't the only one that knew.

" I don't know what you think you are seeing right now but I can assure you that it is all a dream and you have wondered out to late and should get back to bed before someone catches you." Says the familiar voice of his headmaster.

"He is going to steal the stone." He says back.

"Who."

"Quirrell."

"Don't worry about it everything will happen as it should, if you feel the need you should make sure your friend is safe I'm sure you won't be needed but it can't hurt to have extra protection." Dumbledore continues.

"What does that even mean? Are you saying you know and you are willing to let it happen." Cayden says, raising his voice.

"Keep quiet about things you don't understand. I am a wizard far more powerful than you will ever be if I believe something needs to happen trust me it needs to happen. I won't let your friends be seriously harmed but Harry needs to do this." Dumbledore responds, keeping his composure before disappearing under the cover of night. Cayden runs trying to catch up with Harry. He doesn't even care if he gets caught at this point he needs to be caught he needs to protect Harry.

Just as suspected he was caught along with everyone else. He had gone to his detention with Malfoy. Filch made sure to split them up as it was "not a fun hang out" so he was stuck with Harry and Hermione. He was ok with the pairing but was devastated once he found out what he needed to find. His mother had always told him and Ginny stories about unicorns and how one day the three of them would meet a unicorn together. He now knew that that would never happen. The four of them walked and talked with a centaur trying to figure out what happened before hearing a scream.

"You dont think they've been hurt, do you?" Hermione whispered. "I don't care if malfoy has but if something happened to neville-"

Cayden whips his head around glaring at the two of them. "You guys do know that Malfoy is still a human being just like the two of you, don't act all high and mighty. He might be an asshole but no one deserves to be hurt." he says before running after the sound. Once Cayden figured out what had happened he almost regretted saying anything. Malfoy had scared Neville into sending up sparks. After this Hagrid rearranged the groups. Neville and Hermione were with him and Harry and Draco were with fang, Cayden was sent with them to keep the peace.

It wasn't too long after the groups separated that Harry, Draco and Cayden managed to find it and it was a truly horrifying sight. Cayden wasn't usually bothered by much but this really shook him. This part of the forest was immediately colder and the hooded figure, although you couldn't see it, seemed as if it was missing something. If you could see its eye Cayden was sure it would shake you. Whatever this creature was, it was drinking from a dead unicorn. He was frozen. He couldn't move the second the thing lifted his head it was as if it was trying to break in his mind. The next thing Cayden remembers he was being rescued by a centaur and brought back to school. He had gotten to his bed without talking to anyone. Malfoy and him had silently decided not to talk about what had just happened.

Once he was back he knew he needed to see what happened. He hid under his covers and kept his mirror's volume at a low so no one could eavesdrop. Harry would definitely tell Ron everything so that's who he asked for.

"Ronald Weasley" Immediately once he spoke the name he could hear Harry loud and clear talking about how Snape was going to get the stone for Voldemort. Of course. That's what was off about Quirrell, he knew snape used to work for Voldemort that's why he was so afraid of him. That's what they were talking about that day, Snape needed to make sure that Quirrell hadn't gotten there yet for Voldemort. Everything was starting to make sense. The trio would definitely investigate this in the morning but until then he will get some rest, if he manages to fall asleep.

UNEDITED

Word counter: 1428

A/N

Happy new year! I know I kept y'all waiting on this one but I promise more chapters are coming soon. Things have been super stressful and exams are coming up but I am committed to my work so I will post this and try to get another one out close to the beginning of February after exams when I should be back to a consistent posting schedule.