Chapter 1: Working and Weeping

When Cayden first got off the train he watched as Ron ran to his parents. He looked right at Ginny's eyes and she didn't recognize him. He knew it was better like this but when his eyes met hers and she gave a friendly wave and smile he couldn't watch anymore and turned away, tears filling his eyes. He couldn't bear to look back and he could hear Dracos footsteps coming up behind him. He looked up and saw Draco and Harry wasn't far behind him. He looked towards Harry and saw a mirrored expression on his face. Neither of them knew what awaited them this summer and both knew it wasn't anything good.

The Malfoy manor is huge to say the least. It has grand chandeliers and rooms larger than the home he used to have. Dracos parents were very strict. They made sure that everything was perfect at all times. The first time Draco introduced him to Ms.Malfoy she froze and looked away since then she was very distant. Mr.Malfoy however was the opposite. He was always talking about Draco, actually bragging is the right word here, he was bragging about how amazing his son was and Cayden could see where Draco got his cockiness from. They had one house elf which Cayden found cruel and a grand library. His room was across the hall from Dracos so they could easily go into one another room. Cayden was very thankful and Mr.Malfoy said Slytherins must stick together after all.

The summer was a mix for Cayden. Without Snape's potions his spells weren't holding up very well and he is far too nervous to just go up to the Malfoys and ask to use their potions ingredients after the Malfoys had already been so kind to him. Potion ingredients are expensive if you don't grow them yourself. He used the Malfoys library often to work on school work and helped out the house elf in the kitchen and with de-gnoming the garden. He found so many books in the library, many of which seemed to be untouched. He found one titled "Parseltongue, Learning, History, and Speaking." Which immediately caught his eye. He spent the summer looking at snake books trying to figure out the meaning behind the snake in the mirror. He even learned parseltongue and spoke it with some snakes he found in the garden. Unfortunately they weren't much help either. He spent every night checking in on his family. He drafted so many letters but couldn't bring himself to send any. Draco tried to cheer him up as best he could but it wasn't much help. One day Mr.Malfoy caught him crying and told him off about how slytherin boys shouldn't cry, it's a sign of weakness and he doesn't want any of that weakness under his roof. After that Cayden tried to avoid the Malfoy adults as best he could.

It didn't take long before Cayden became close to the Malfoys house elf. His name was Dobby and he had been working there all his life. They talked often but every time Cayden felt guilty. The elf was paid nothing for all of his work. Dobby was very kind though he said at least here he had a roof over his head. Cayden tried to make Dobby happy and found out the elf took a great interest in Hogwarts so every night he would sneak into the basement where Dobby slept and would tell him a story about hogwarts. He took on Dobby like a younger brother who he could share stories with. He missed his large family more and more every day but cheering up Dobby was one of the only things that made him feel a little bit better. He made sure to only tell the happy stories about Hogwarts and about how Harry Potter was brave. He soon found out that Harry was a hero to the boy and he made a promise that he would find a way for the two to meet. He told Quidditch stories about Harry the seeker and hero stories about how Harry saved his friend from a troll. All of these made Dobby smile and it was the most wonderful thing he experienced all summer.

Working in the kitchen Cayden heard everything that went on in the house. Sometimes he and Dobby would sneak around and listen in on whatever people were saying. It was all fun and games until one day they overheard Mr.Malfoy talking to someone about what was going to happen at hogwarts. There weren't many details but they heard "the dark lord" and "they will die" in the small things until they finally heard it "Harry Potter won't be a problem we will make sure he is taken care of" that line broke him. He and Dobby snuck back to the kitchen and Cayden started to pace around.