Chapter 8: Tests and Trials

Cayden would be lying if he said he had actually remembered exams were that day but first year was so easy he passed his exams. He never understood why first years were so nervous when all you had to do was read the material to pass the exams. The written portion was almost entirely different versions of homework assignments and the practical part was spells they should have already mastered in classes. He saw harry walking through the halls and he could feel his pain, he was slightly empathic which was fairly common for witches but with people close to him physically or emotionally his abilities would get stronger. His mother always told him "You know your grandmother was an excellent empath, she always knew exactly how we were feeling, she was also great with legilimency and occlumency. Oh as kids we would always try to see of feel what she was thinking and feeling but no one could ever get inside her head." He wished he was more like her in many ways. Maybe then his life could have been different. His mum was on his mind a lot recently, maybe it was because he knew he would have to leave Hogwarts without a home to go to. He knew Malfoy's offer was still valid but he also knew that even if he tried he wouldn't be able to go home.

During the lunch break Cayden decided to visit Myrtle, it had been a while and he was prettsure most other people wouldn't have talked to her. When he enters the room he notices her stall is closed and she can hear her sobs.

"Myrtle, are you ok?" He carefully asks.

"No." She says between sobs. "Year after year I have to watch everyone pass their exams and graduate and have successful careers but I never got that chance. I died here and now I can't even leave." She says before she starts crying again. "I would give anything to go home and everyone else gets that chance. It's not fair." She angrily shouts.

"I get it this summer, I don't have a home to go to." He says to her pointing at his tie. "My mum disowned me after I sent her a letter saying I got into slytherin. My perfect brother is in Gryffindor but me, well I have to go and stay at a friends or a program for slytherins who were disowned by their parents." He sighs. "Worst of all I can't see my family because they dont even recognize me."

"I guess we have no choice but to sit in our woes together." She says softer.

"Yeah." He says trying not to show his voice breaking.

Eventually he left the bathroom to continue his exams. Once they were over he followed the trio to Hagrid's hut. He knew that they would be doing something drastic or stupid soon as the year was coming to an end but he didn't know when so his solution, follow them around and make sure no one knows. He saw Harry panic then they all ran to the hut. Cayden followed silently and listened to what was happening from outside. It didn't take long for Hagrid to slip up and once he did Caydens heart sank. He had known for weeks, Dumbledore's message, something was going to happen and it was going to happen soon. He immediately ran to Snape in the dungeons.

"He knows." Cayden said panting out of breath once he reached the grumpy potions professor.

"I dont have the time or energy to care if one of your brothers found out your little secret." Snape said not looking up from the work he was grading.

"No Quirrell knows everything he found out how to get past the dog he is going to take it." He says all in one breath. Snape finally looks up at this.

"I don't know what you think you know but it is never ok to accuse another teacher of anything ever." He says walking away. "It would be wise that you head to your dorm and not cause any more trouble." He says in a stern voice not even bothering to turn around and face him.

Cayden waits until the professor is gone and sneaks away to the third floor door. He knows Harry will try something and he can't let him go alone. The teachers won't be of any help so he has to protect Harry. On his way he gets stopped by Draco.