Chapter 10: Christmas and Cats

Thankfully for Cayden almost everyone had left for winter break. If there was one good thing that came from this tragedy, even the first years whose parents had hated them at the beginning of the year had been thrown back into reality. Parents had let their children come home and for the first time not a single first year had stayed behind. The other benefit is that crabbe and goyle could much more easily be distracted by food when no one was around to stop them. Cayden had secretly been hoping that he could find some time to talk with his sibling but for now he just used his mirror to see into their lives. Fred and George (to Percy's dismay) were trying their best to keep everyone's spirits up. The boys had even managed to make Ginny crack a smile. Cayden thought about getting everyone Christmas gifts but in the end found there was no way for him to sneak off without arousing suspicion. Before long Christmas was upon them and Malfoy awoke to a heap of presents on the edge of his bed. Crabbe and Goyle had quite a lot from their parents as well. Cayden felt rather embarrassed on how there wasn't a single one on his bed. Of course they noticed and Cayden went on a tangent about how Christmas is a scam for holiday companies to make money and the three boys took that answer and left the matter alone. Cayden had decided to roam the halls using his map, making a quick note of anything interesting. This school had many secrets and he was determined to find all of them before he graduated. Every path he made ended up leading him back to the library. He took a look around and decided to take out some books on transfiguration. Potions, charms, and transfiguration were his three favourite classes in order. He had gotten more advanced than what the class was teaching and wanted to learn more. He wondered about mcgonagall, how it was like to be an animagus. He imagined it to be freeing. His wonders were unfortunately cut short. Malfoy had found him and dragged him back to the common room.

Outside crabbe and goyle were talking to Percy Weasley? Cayden was beyond confused, to add the boys were nervous? He didnt even know the two could get nervous. As if that wasn't enough their robes were clean. He thought they were going to the cafeteria their pockets should be filled with snacks but their robes showed no signs of food. Malfoy being as thick as he was didn't notice and confronted Percy.

"What are you doing down here Weasley?" He said, the sneer was so clear even crabbe and goyle noticed. Percy was so outraged Cayden could physically feel it,all of this was giving him a migraine, the best part about winter break was that he didn't have to deal with all of this.

"That is none of your business, you ought to show more respect to a school prefect." Percy said walking off his head held up high as if he was better than them.

"That peter Weasley." Malfoy started until Crabbe corrected him. Cayden was thrown off by this, he didnt even know Crabbe knew Percy let alone remembered his name. Half the time he still called him C or just Prewett. The last straw was when Cayden felt the sheer panic off of goyle when Malfoy asked for the password. Goyle always remembers and loves to show it off. Something was seriously off with the two of them, he was wondering if they had been possessed by peeves or something. Malfoy had told them to wait in the common room and he had something to show the three of them. When Malfoy left he immediately wiped his head around at the two boys and they jumped back at his glare. Something was defenitly going on with them, usually they would have sat down and started talking immediately but they were still standing all ridged and stiff. Whatever was going on Cayden was keeping an eye on them. Before he could actually say anything Malfoy came back holding a clip of the daily prophet. The whole thing was about how Ron's dad was in trouble and Draco's dad is attempting to get him fired. Draco was talking about how funny it was and the more he talked the madder Crabbe had gotten. Crabbe would never have gotten mad at something like that, annoyed at Draco's obsession maybe but mad, this wasn't crabbe. He spent a moment before connecting the dots. Those ingredients were for a polyjuice potion. How he could be so stupid not to notice. Malfoy started making fun of Collin and Cayden decided to step in.