Lasting

"This isn't what I wanted.."

...

Emilio looked at you as he stopped at a red light.

"Hey are you okay?"
You sighed deeply, "No! No.. I don't want to leave but.."
"You don't want to leave that corrupted job? The pay isn't even worth it!" Emilio exclaimed.
"I know! I know!" You sighed, "I just really like the people.. I can't help but wonder if they'd miss me if we parted ways.."

You looked out the window with a frown knowing you'd most likely never have another laughing fit with them again.
You couldn't help but think of the good times with sadness. Suddenly, Emilio parked in an empty parking lot and you looked at him.
His head was resting on the wheel and he was staring with a small smile. The sun was setting, causing light beams on his face which made his facial features glisten.

"You know.. you're a very negative person"
"What?!" You let out and he laughed.
"Look on the bright side.." he tapped his cheek, "You got to have those experiences and you enjoyed them. Nothing lasts forever"
"Ah.. you're right" you muttered foolishly to yourself.

I really do look at the down side of things..

"Like this pretendship?" you laughed lowly to the side, "It won't last forever"
"That's up to you" he stated, "I'm not leaving until the deal is done with"

You stared at him a bit untrusting as the yellow rays made his eyes gleam.

He kind of.. looks like a god or something.

"Did you hear me?" he repeated and you nodded quickly.
"Yeah.."
"Good! Let's get ice cream!" he smiled before starting the car again.

You slowly placed your hand on top of his as he shifted the gear shift. He shot his head to you surprised. You looked away a bit embarrassed and he smiled at you before saying,

"By the way, I like strawberry icecream"

...

You licked at your vanilla cone that had whip cream and a cherry on top. Emilio was driving with one hand as he ate his.
He had bought the deserts and you felt a tad bit better after having some.

"Thank you.." you spoked and he nodded.
"Of course"

It was quiet again.

It's not like.. this relationship is real.
It's just pretend.

"Can we go to your home?" you asked and he shook his head.
"That's for another day"
"What?! Where are we going then??" you asked.
"I'm dropping you off at your house" he stated but you didn't exactly want to leave his side.
"Already?"
"It's getting late" he stated and you bit your waffle cone.
"I don't.." you started but cut yourself off.
"Hm? What is it?"

I don't want to leave his side yet..

"Hey, can I touch you?" Emilio suddenly asked and you became flustered.
"W-What?! Why are you asking me that?"
The dark haired boy laughed, "As this pretendship continues to develop, I want to know how far our boundaries will go"
"Oh.." you noticed him pulling up in your driveway, "No you can't touch me"
"Alright that's fine" he stated positively and you turned to him annoyed.
"Why are you always in a happy mood?! Don't you know emotions?!"
"Hm? I have no reason to be stressed or overthink like you.."
You glared at him, "What are you trying to say?"
"Nothing!" he finished eating his cone, "You haven't asked me for anything even though it's a part of our deal. Just quit the job and it'll be one thing off your shoulder"
"You don't understand!"

You sighed and leaned back in the seat. The sun could no longer be seen in the horizon. The giant pine trees blocked any source of light as the stars rose.
Emilio's car was so nice and the inside smelled so sweet. You weren't nervous being in such an enclosed space with him, which was comforting.

"Make me understand" he told you.
"If I quit this job.. no one in the house will be working.. that's embarrassing and pathetic to me. Utterly lazy.."
Emilio went to grab your arm but paused, "Are you kidding me?! So that coworker thing was an excuse? So you're willing to tire yourself out because of your own high morals and expectations!!"
"What do you want me to do?! I depend on myself!"
"That's what I'm here for!!" Emilio raised his voice making you gulp, "This pretendship isn't just for me, but for you! Depend on me and tell me what you want!! There's no romantic feelings, this may be all pretend but that's the point! You don't know me and I barely know you.. but trust me, I'm not going anywhere"

His mood changed as he lectured you with a frustrated look. Still his eyes gleamed and intimidated you as he glared with a frown. His lips looked soft as he spoke and you bit your lip looking at him.

"Fucking.. what the hell Emilio" you smiled holding your head, "I've never met someone who wasn't a spider.."
"A spider?"
"Ah.. nothing. Can I tell you what I want?" you asked and he began to tease.
"Did I not say that~"
"Well.." you clenched your fist as you held back your pride, "I've always been independent and worked my ass off. I don't like asking people for help. I can't believe my job was corrupt right under my nose. I worked so hard, it feels like.. I wasted my time"
"I don't think you did"
"Regardless!" you looked at the confused Emilio with a bit of tears, "I can't even depend on my parents or friends Emilio!! But I'm a girl who wants to depend on someone sometimes!!"
He smiled, "So? What do you want?"
"I don't want to go home Emilio!! I want to stay by your side!" you shouted and he almost reached out to you again but stopped.

"Stay by my side? It's my job to stay by yours~"

♥️