From blood...

Alyssa's life started in blood, her mother's. The last pregnancy of Queen Aemma was a Nightmare...her childbirth was way worst...

For hours, the maesters didn't know how to help her, how to deliver "the baby" naturaly. The Queen was at her limit and her husband, King Viserys, had to make a choice : 

His wife, the love of his life, or his long awaited son and heir.

The Queen already made it clear that it was her last pregnancy so...he choosed the son...and the maesters opened her up.

Her screams floaded in the room and was soon replaced by smaller screams.

At everyone surprise, they found 2 babes : a boy and girl.

The King was in mixed feeling : Happiness and guilt as the Queen gave her last breath.

He took his son in his arms and smiled : "Baelon. At last" he said.

A maid was holding his daughter as he looked at her. "The Queen gave me two new jewels...she finally gave me an heir...praised be the Gods"

The inhabitants of the capital and the red keep were jubilant at this double birth. 

A son and a new daughter for the crown.

But few hours later, little Baelon stoped breathing...the King heart was destroyed. He lost everything in a few hours time.

After the funerals of the Queen and her son, Alyssa eldest sister came to visit her, with their uncle Daemon. 

Daemon took the baby in his arms while Rhaenyra remained in the corner of the room. "At least, your mother gave you a sister...little Visenya as you claimed"

"No." Rhaenyra was looking from afar to her sister with a bit of disgust and sadness.

"Why no?"

"They won't call her Visenya...she don't deserve this warrior name...for she is a killer." Said Rhaenyra.

"Rhaenyra..."

"She killed my mother..."

"She's a child...she's innocent of all. You let grieve speak."

"She is alive...not my mother, not my brother...name her as you want. Father as no strength to do it anyway"

She left the room.

Daemon walked around the room, cradling the child 

"She'll change her mind, don't worry. She's young and she just lost her mother. I too lost my mother during childbirth."

The baby started to make little noises.

"What are we going to call you, little bird...?"

He sat. "This world is a terrible place, and you'll need a strong name. So I'm gonna give you the name of the strongest woman I knew, my mother.

The baby smiled at his world.

"It his setled,then. Welcome to this world, princess Alyssa."

----------‐------------

Her first few months were sad, only growing with maids, never the same one. No mother, no father, no sister, no stability, no love.

Not even an uncle as he was banished few days after her birth.

But, before she turned one her father, Viserys got remarried and Alyssa won a true mother : Alicent Hightower, former lady in waiting and friend of her sister.

The new Queen was a loving young Lady who was dotting and loving to the young orphan.

Alicent gave her what she needed and soon, we could hear Alyssa first laughs.

Less than a year after the wedding, Alicent gave birth to her firstborn, a son, Aegon. But her love for Alyssa never changed.

As Alicent always say : "She may not be my blood, But she is my heart, my daughter and will be until my last.".

If their is someone who Alyssa love more than Alicent, it's definetly Aegon.

Of course she love her other siblings : Helaena and Aemond.
But with Aegon, it has always been different.
They bounded the second they met.
Rarely leaving each other's side.

Even if they were born nearly two years appart, they were like twins. Inseparable.

They shared so many things. They were both hated by their eldest sister just for living, were both the closest thing to a disappointment for their father,...

But they also were two faces of a coin when it come to react.
When Alyssa was acting like a shadow, not waiting to upset their father by her presence, Aegon was doing everything to make his presence known.

When she grew up, Alyssa also was a witness of the bullying against her younger brother, Aemond, by Aegon and their nephews, Jacaerys and Lucaerys Velaryon.

It was the first (and maybe only) time she went against Aegon and told their mom.
She hated seeing her baby brother being bullyed and more than everything : seeing Aegon getting allong with their sister's bastards.

Yes, bastards...Everyone knows...but no one dare to say it out loud for they were protected by the King himself. He was always playing blind when it was for protecting his precious daughter and her children...

Alyssa always felt jealous about that. Even if she too was Queen Aemma's daughter, he never even considered her...not once.

Even if she tried for years to get his love by doing drawings, poems, or trying to act like Rhaenyra...it was like she didn't exist. 

She was a shadow...