20

...

There I stood, in my sparkling green dress. 

Hermione wore a light pink dress, and had her hair pinned back. 

My long, auburn hair flowed past my waist in soft waves. 

Hermione had made up a hair timing potion which kept the frizz down on our hair. 

It was brilliant, our hair has never looked better. 

I did full faces of makeup on the both of us. 

I have Hermione a light, sparkling eyeshadow, while I have myself a dark smokey eye. 

"We look amazing!" Hermione exclaimed. 

"We look hot!" I replied.  

"We better hurry, before we are late!" Hermione smiled. 

The two of us slipped our shoes on, and make our way to the Yule Ball. 

As we entered, all eyes seemed to turn to us. 

Everyone stopped what they were doing, and fell silent, as the two of us walked down the stairs. 

Hermione was greeted by Victor, who kissed the top of her hand, and took her away. 

I made my way over to Harry and Ron, who were accompanied by their dates, along with Fred.  

Ron's dress robe was awful. 

"You look amazing." Harry greeted me. 

"As do you." I gave Harry a little bow. 

Fred looked me up and down, and gave me a weak smile. 

He didn't look very impressed. 

"Let get inside, so we can watch the first dance of the triwizard tournament competitors." Fred spoke in a very neutral voice. 

Fred Weasley turned, and began walking into the room where the ball was being held. 

I had to almost run to catch up to him. 

"Fred, I thought we would walk in together." I said, as we stood around the dance floor amongst the other students. 

Fred shrugged, as the triwizard tournament competitors and their dates entered, and began their first dance. 

My eyes quickly drifted away from them, and landed on someone else in the crowd.  

Draco Malfoy, who was accompanied by Pansy Parkinson. 

For some reason, that made a small amount of anger flow inside of me. 

Draco's eyes met my body. 

I could see his breath start to quicken, as he took in every inch of me. 

Draco looked baffled. 

He looked surprised. 

Then, his jaw seemed to tighten, as he tried to stand tall and proud. 

"Come on." Fred broke my train of thought, by pulling me onto the dance floor. 

Everyone else had joined in by now. 

Fred made sure he kept space between the two of us, as we danced. 

His eyes looked everywhere except for me. 

Fred seemed distracted, almost distant. 

"What's wrong?" I asked him. 

Fred shook his head and rolled his eyes. 

"Fred... what's wrong?" I asked again. 

Fred Weasley blinked slowly, as he finally turned to look at me. 

"I told you, you would look better in that red dress." His words tasted like hot coals, as they hit my tongue. 

I could feel my throat tighten, and the tears began to build behind my skull. 

"How- how could you say that, Freddy? There's nothing wrong with what I'm wearing..." I managed to push the words out of my throat. 

"I just don't think you look very good in it." Fred stopped dancing. 

His words felt like I was pouring salt into an open wound. 

God, I felt like I could cry. 

I guess my face showed it too. 

People around us started to stare. 

"Quit making a scene." Fred spat at me, before letting go of my waist. 

He walked over to a table on the side, and sat down. 

Fred left me on the dance floor all alone. 

I put my head down, to hide the tears that were now streaming down my face, and I ran out into the hallway. 

I sat down on the stairs, burying my face into my arms. 

I cried.

I was so embarrassed and hurt. 

I don't understand why he would say that. 

A tap, on my shoulder caused me to look up. 

"Why are you sitting out here by your lonesome self?" Draco Malfoy asked, as he sat down next to me. 

"I'm not in the mood for your insults right now, Malfoy." I sniffled, as I wiped the tears from my face. 

Draco moved closer to me, his body was pressing against mine. 

"That's not why I'm here, darling," Draco spoke softly, as he wrapped his arm around my body.  He pulled me even closer to him, which was very comforting, "I saw the way you ran out of there."

I swallowed my cries, and took a deep breath before I spoke. 

"Fred said I don't look good in my dress."

Draco gasped at my words. 

He placed his finger tips softly beneath my chin, lifting my face up to look at his. 

"You look beautiful, stunning, radiant.  You outshine anyone else here.  Anyone who doesn't admire your beauty, is simply a fool." Draco spoke so smoothly, his eyes seemed to sparkle as he spoke. 

A small smile formed across my lips. 

"Now, let's go dance." Draco smiled, as he helped me too my feet. 

"What about Pansy? What about everyone else?" I quickly asked. 

"I don't give a damn about her, or anyone else.  I only asked her, because my first choice already had a date. But, I happen to be lucky that my first choice's date happened to be a huge dick." Draco took me by the hands, and began leading me back to the Yule Ball. 

I stopped before the door. 

"But, Draco..." I started, "why do you want to dance with me? You could dance with anyone else."

"Why would I want to dance with anyone else, when you exist?"