32

I jolted awake, drenched in sweat and terrified. 

I was scared out of my mind.  

A small wave of relief flowed over me, as I realized I was no longer in the forbidden forest. 

I was in a bed in the hospital wing, surrounded by Dumbledore, professor McGonagall, and madame Pomfrey. 

"Easy now, you don't have hardly any strength." Madame Pomfrey ordered me. 

I took a long deep breath. 

"Tell us everything you remember, dear." Professor McGonagall took me by my hand.  

God, her hands felt a whole lot warmer than mine. 

"I ended up in the forest some how.  Before I knew it... I was attacked by something... or things." I was frantic. 

I took short, uneasy breaths as I spoke.  

"The centaurs found you just in time.  Considering you could have been dead within minutes if they didn't." Dumbledore told me.  

"What attacked me?! I felt pain on my shoulder, before everything went black." I reached up to my left shoulder, which madame Pomfrey had already bandaged up. 

Dumbledore sighed, as he stepped closer. 

"Though vampire sightings are rare around Hogwarts, they are not impossible..." Dumbledore trailed off a bit, before he started to talk again, "based off of what the centaurs saw.. and your symptoms, we have reason to believe that's what attacked you."

What?

WHAT?!

"No! It can't be! I can't be a vampire!" I yelled. 

"Not fully, of course.  You haven't bitten anyone, there for... you are only half.  I intend to do everything in my power to help you not become a full vampire." Dumbledore stated. 

I felt like I was going to have a panic attack. 

I felt like I couldn't breathe. 

"There isn't anything to help me? There's got to be something?! Like the werewolves have the wolfsbane potion." My voice was shaking now. 

I felt like I could start bawling again.  

"There isn't, but with your potions skills and professor Sprout and Snape's supply, I have no doubt that you won't come up with at least a suppressant by the time next school year rolls around.   For now, you will need plenty of rest.   You will stay in the hospital for the night.  I will have Filch move your things to your own separate room for the last remaining days this school year, to ensure you won't have any uncontrollable actions.  And with the recent events, no need to worry about the remainder of your classes or OWLs, they will be bypassed for you." Dumbledore rambled on, before walking out of the hospital wing. 

I slumped down in my hospital bed. 

Really? That was it?!

I have to figure this out on my own?

"Whats gonna happen to me?" I turned to professor McGonagall. 

"Most of the changes happened already.  The pale skin, the cold touch, sharpened canine teeth, and light sensitivity." Professor McGonagall reassured me. 

"I was pale to begin with, and my chest is still warm." I placed my freehand over my chest. 

The skin was still warm to the touch. 

"That's a good sign, along with your reflection still being able to be seen.   If you were fully transformed, those would be gone as well.   If you have strong urges that you feel you cannot fight, please reach out to me." Professor McGonagall gave my hand a little squeeze. 

I at least was a little relieved that I knew I could always run to her for help, for anything really. 

Not just now, before as well. 

"With all that had happened with my parents, Draco and Fred, Cedric, and now this... I can't help but think, have I seen the worst of it yet." I could feel a few tears fall down my cheeks as I spoke.  

Professor McGonagall looked at me, with eyes full of remorse. 

"Get some rest, my dear." Professor McGonagall reassured me, before she left.  

...

After my night in the hospital, I was escorted to a private room in the Gryfindor commodore. 

For the last week or two, I laid on my lumpy bed in the dark. 

I only really got up to use the bathroom.  

I was so tore up about Cedric and what had happened to me, I bawled every damn day.  

Hermione and Harry talked to me through the door occasionally, I think she was scared to come in.  

Luna would come in and try to drag me out of bed, but she was always unsuccessful. 

Well, until one day. 

It was the day before everyone would leave hogwarts for summer break. 

...

"Come on, we are getting out of bed today." Luna said, as she came into my room and turned the lights on.  

"Noooo." I groaned, shielding my eyes from the lights. 

"Yes, don't you want to see everyone once more before the summer?" Luna walked over, and pulled my hands away from my eyes. 

"No, they don't even want to see me either." I said. 

"I'm getting you out of this room.  You are going take take a bath, and put on clean clothes.  You are going to eat something, and we are going to sit somewhere other than here." Luna demanded, which was quite unlike her. 

But, good for her for finally taking a stand. 

"Only for you." I groaned. 

So, Luna grabbed me some fresh clothes, and dragged me to the prefects bathroom. 

I got in the bath, and Luna started to wash my hair for me. 

It seemed like Luna really did care about me and my well being. 

Maybe, she was the only one that did. 

"Thank you, Luna.  You didn't have to do any of this, but you did." I thanked her, as she helped me get dressed. 

"Yes, I did.  You're my friend, and you needed help.  Besides, you stunk." Luna smiled and shrugged. 

I let out a little chuckle. 

"You're not scared of me? I told you what happened to me in the woods.  Aren't you scared I might hurt you?" I asked her seriously. 

"No, you wouldn't hurt a fly.  Besides, if you for some reason did bite me... we would just be different together." Luna gave me a reassuring smile.