chapter one

@AmazonPrime an untitled newest romantic comedy is on its way and we can't wait for you guys to see it! #Untitled #JamieFlatters #SofiaWylie #BBC

#Untitled #JamieFlatters #SofiaWylie #BBC

DAY 1
I tapped my phone's screen, a small smile creeping my lips when I red the news. My very first project was now out for the world to apprehend. I was well aware that nobody look past the few seconds of the credits, but I had dreamt to see my name written up on a big screen since I was a few years old. My father, Craig Davis was a well-known camera operator until he passed away. I lifted my gaze to my car's radio trying to shake away the feelings that had surfaced when thinking about my deceased father. I was sitting in the driver's seat, checking the time every few seconds. I didn't want to be late for my first day on set but I also didn't want to seem too newbie. Like showing up at the studio an hour before the general call. Which I did.

Someone knocked on my  window. I smiled to the unknown person while lowering down the window with difficulty. The mechanism kept getting stuck every few pull. My car was almost as old as me. I had bought it after high school thinking it was my brightest idea. I soon realized what a piece of crap it was when one winter, parts started to detach. The raindrops started entering the vehicle, painting dots on the seats.

"Hi!" The woman said, squinting her eyes to see through the heavy rain. "My name is Julia McNara—"

My eyes widened as I heard the name. My new boss standing right in front me. This wasn't the introduction I had hoped. I wanted for it to be classy and professional. We would have politely shook hands. Instead, we were in the parking lot like some drug deal.

"You look like a Charlotte. Are you a Charlotte?"

I politely nodded to the woman. Julia stepped back from her car and waved me toward the grey building I was parked in front. I grabbed my toolbox, it wasn't fully rigged yet. I still needed to buy a few more things but at least I had the main tools for the job. It was better than most newly graduated fellows. I escaped the rain by running inside the building. Julia stopped before me, getting her coat off and shaking the water off of it.

"First time I see a newbie this early."

"I like to be prepared."

"Good." She smiled. "I like that in an assistant."

I finally let out a silent breath and followed Julia around the studio until we reached the Hair and Makeup room which had been indicated with a poster on the door. Before turning the doorknob, Julia turned around to face me.

"To dry ourselves up." She whispered, quietly opening the door. "I'm sure Milya and Aude won't mind."

I stood behind my boss as she looked through the room for hairdryers. Julia couldn't be more than 40. Maybe mid-thirties. She had a thick southern accent that made her instantly friendly. Familiar. She had long black hair and was very thin. This job was known for always being on the run. That was first attracted me, the adrenaline of a set. The thrill you get when the director asks you to solve a problem. A last minute change. I also needed to be creatively stimulated which was also a part of the job. I always found myself crafting or DIYing so I trusted my interests. I had just finished film school and now, more than ever, I was ready to start my career in the artistic department, more precisely with the props.