chapter thriteen

DAY 33
The alarm echoed in the room waking me startled. The sunlight blinding me as soon as I opened my eyes since I had forgotten to close the blinds the previous night. I exhaled the tiredness. A headache slowly appearing at the front of my forehead. As I massaged it, I shifted my gaze to the hotel's clock that rested on the nightstand. 9h10AM. I didn't remembered what time I had gotten to bed but it surely was after 3AM. Time of the pub's last call. I dropped down my eyes to a piece of paper. I sat myself straight before taking it.

Wear this and no ghost would dare to harm you. -J

I smiled to the note and lifted it up revealing one of Jamie's silver ring. The thick one with a black and flat rock in the middle. I grabbed it and tried it in every of my fingers. It fitted on my thumb. I admired at it, slowly remembering the blurry memories of my night. Realizing that none of it was a dream. I looked around. Jamie had actually been in my room and I was drunk off my mind. I couldn't control anything that was being said. I hated loosing control and last night, I did. Worse, I did it in front of Jamie. My gaze finally stopped at my white pillow, makeup had been smudged, staining it. I jogged to the bathroom and saw my face. Makeup all over, making my face look like the canvas I had painted for the movie. Except the paint was my day-old makeup. The crew call was at noon which meant I still had time to hop for a quick shower. I dropped my clothes to the floor and rinsed all of the beer, pizza grease and caked makeup off my body. As I wrapped myself into a towel, my phone rang. I looked for it around the room to finally find it hiding in my purse.

Julia: Breakfast ends in twenty.
Just for ya information!

I rapidly got dressed, putting my phone and key card into my jeans' pocket and went downstairs. I followed the crowd of people to a room which I figured was where they served the food. I examined tables after tables, looking for Julia. I finally spotted her and joined her, sitting on the chair next to her.

"Oh sweetheart, you look like hell." Julia exclaimed as she saw me, sipping on orange juice. "Here have some toasts, it will soak the alcohol right up." She ordered, placing a small plate with buttered toasts in front of me.

I smiled as a thank you and hardly swallowed the bite. I gulped the excessive saliva I had in my mouth, gagging at eating anything else.

"You got yourself a nice night of sleep?" She asked, her eyebrows risen.

"Yes. I'm ready for today." I smiled, pretending like I didn't have the worst hangover. I rarely drank but when I did, I do it hard. Too hard which always ends up being hangover for the next twenty-four hours after.

"Good." She smiled, half-convinced of my state of mind. "Let's go." She jumped out of her chair as I pushed away the plate and followed her. We headed outside to the bus and took three big plastic boxes out of the luggage compartment. "The production rented us a car for the time we're staying." Julia put one of the box down and grabbed the key attached to her jeans' loop. She clicked twice on a button as a sound echoed in the hotel's parking. We walked to the black minivan and put all three boxes in the trunk. I overly exhaled. Feeling a lump in my throat forming, the heartache became harder to ignore. I watched Julia's every move. Julia looked refreshed and not like she had been partying all night at some downtown's pub. She was radiant.

"God, how do you do it?" I sighed

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

"God, how do you do it?" I sighed.

She snorted.

"You're a lightweight, ma darlin'."

"So what if I am."

"Come on little miss offended. We don't want to be late." She hopped on the driver's seat and I followed her into the car.

The car ride was quick. The radio played in the background as Julia explained how it would be at the location. It was at the Ripley's Aquarium of Canada since Jamie's character—Vincent—worked at an aquarium. The production had reserved the whole site for the shooting so we wouldn't be distracted and disturbed by strangers. When we arrived, we placed our boxes in the boys restrooms. The girls being reserved for the Hair and Makeup. When you're out at a location, it usually meant you didn't necessarily had a standard room for the crew. So we had to work with what was given to us. I prepped the props for the day, routinely placing each objects in their respective boxes.

"You know the drill." Julia exclaimed as she saw me finish the prep. She headed towards the set, making sure there wasn't any last minute change with Greta and I went to the next room. When I entered, Sofia was on a chair and getting ready. Milya applying foundation on her cheeks and Aude curling her hair. I noticed the papers with Jamie's and Sofia's hand-written name on it being taped to two of the stalls. I figured it was their new and temporary dressing room.

"Hey, Charlotte." Sofia exclaimed, smiling as she spotted me enter the restrooms.

"How are you doing?" I placed the box on the counter besides the sinks.

"I'm good. Thanks."

"So here's your cellphone." I handed it to her. "Here's the bracelet. You want me to put it on you?"

She nodded, stretching her right arm. I attached the fake Aquarium bracelet to her wrist.

"Done. For the rest, Julia will talk to you on set." I smiled. "Where's Jamie?" I asked to Aude.

Before she could spoke up, the stall's door unlocked and Jamie stepped out in costume. A smile at the corner of his lips when our eyes met. I dropped my gaze and acted as if I searched for something in his box. A bit embarrassed of how I acted last night. Actually, a lot embarrassed.

"So," I started as we stepped away from the girls to not be in their way. "Here's your badge." He hung it on his bright red shirt's pocket. "Your cellphone as usual and the Aquarium's pamphlet."

"Got it." He scratched the back of his head.

"All good?" I called out to Aude. She checked him out to make sure everything was the same as his previous scene. She frowned, making my eyebrows rose.

"You're missing a ring." She exclaimed, putting down the curler iron and searching the room for it. My eyes widened, blood rushing to my cheeks. "If we forgot it in New York, I'm going to-"

"Here." I dropped to the floor as if I had just found it there. I quickly slipped the ring out of my thumb and showed it to Aude.

"You're a life saver, Charlotte." She smiled resulting her task.

I turned my face to look upwards, my eyes meeting Jamie's. I moved the ring closer for him to take. His jaw clenched and he hesitantly slipped it back to his finger. Where it belonged. I smiled and finally broke contact by twirling my body around and grabbed the empty boxes. Before I reached for the doorknob, I turned around to see Jamie still staring my way.

"It's okay." I silently mouthed and exited the room.

For one night, we had shared something. And that was the thing that mattered the most.