chapter twenty three

"You can see the whole city from here!" I shouted as I reached the rooftop hedge, my fourth drink of the night in my hand, the alcohol starting to numb the feelings that were eating my thoughts away and taking over my senses, turning life more exciting than it probably was. It had seemed that Jamie didn't mind doing cocktails after all, I figured he even liked it when he got his shaker and strainer out like a true barmaid. I couldn't remember the name of what he had concocted, only the burning feeling when I let the liquid slowly pour over my throat. I heard Jamie chuckle behind me, probably to my childlike reaction but I couldn't help myself, the view from his apartment was simply splendid, breathtaking. My eyes focused on London as I finally realized how wide my smile was, acknowledging the soreness feeling of my cheeks' muscles. "God, what I would do for a view like that. Back at home, a brick and boring wall is all I see through my window." I turned around to see that Jamie had quickly made his way to my side, his elbows on the edge lifting his body up, his shoulders slightly shrugged.

"I love it too. Probably the main reason why I got this flat." He smiled at the view before his eyes, taking it all in the same way I had done a few moments ago like it was his first time seeing it too and I couldn't help but stare at him. The colors of the sunset beautifully fading with his skin tone, the warm rays reflecting in his cold ice blue eyes and making them even more hypnotizing. I dreadfully pulled my gaze back to the view before he could catch my stare, my lips dipping back and forth in the alcoholic liquid as I soon realized I was stressed drinking, a headache slightly throbbing. There's an unusual tension hanging in between us tonight that made us both stay silent, taking in our surroundings and dreading the moment when I would decide to leave. After a moment, the sky had turned into a golden orange with pink streaks, the temperature dropping in an instant but I still could feel the warm on my cheeks, tricking my body into thinking it didn't mind the cold. "Come on, it's almost time." Jamie spoke up while jogging to the wall opposing the ledge, dropping the blown up mattress on the ground and adjusting for it to be in the middle of the rooftop. I stayed put, scrutinizing his every fastened and excited move before he finally jumped onto the mattress, patting it to tell me to join him at his side.

"What is it?" I sat besides him, the top half of his body lifted by his elbow, causing me to look down at him from my position. He only smiled to my question. "Jamie," I started but got cut off by his fingers under my jaw pushing my chin forward, forcing me to finally glanced at the view before my eyes. One you could noticed only from this angle, one that made me gasp when finally acknowledging it. The mattress perfectly placed in between the two buildings facing Jamie's apartment block to reveal the sunset reflecting on its every windows, making it all grandiose.       

"I don't want to leave." I suddenly exclaimed, the picturesque view overwhelming my thoughts, making me feel alive for the first time in days. My gaze hardly shifting to Jamie's face. "I really don't want to leave."

"I guess, London has a certain charm." He chuckled, his head shyly dropping and his fingers fidgeting with his rings, my eyes immediately spotting the one he had once offered to me as I remembered our time together. The past weeks flashing before my eyes, causing my heartbeat to pick up, my chest rapidly rising and falling to the idea of speaking my mind.   

"And so does its people." I finally whispered, looking away before I could meet his eyes as I sensed his head quickly shifting in my direction. The words had shamelessly escaped past my lips and had left me wondering of the consequences they could have. I purposely ignored his intense stare, not having any courage left to face the impact of my words on him as I laid back on the mattress, locking my arms behind my head. The sky had completely turned dark blue, the stars illuminating London instead of the sunrays. Jamie still towered me with his body, his gaze flickering between me and the view.

"What's your favorite movie?" He asked, instantly easing the tension I had provoked, brushing off the fact I had almost admitted parts of my feelings. Something I would always blame on the alcohol. I quickly turned my head, scoffing to his words while an amused smile appeared on my lips. I was taken aback, not ready to answer such a difficult question as I felt the pressure climb up to find the perfect reply.

"Probably, The Grand Budapest Hotel. The color palette and directing of Wes Anderson just always does something for me." I chuckled as his smile grew wider to my answer, his head approvingly nodding.

"Answering like a true film student." He joked, causing me to slap him on the chest, falsely offended by his stereotypical comment. I redirected the question to the boy, my body gently readjusting and twirling on the mattress to look more closely to Jamie, deep in his thoughts and also searching for a perfect reply. After a few seconds, Jamie answered with almost every movie titles he ever watched, saying that each one of them had had some kind of an impact on him. We talked for what seemed like eternity, hours didn't matter that night... nothing mattered except us. For the first time since our first meeting, we discussed without censoring our thoughts, without any distractions and we finally got the chance to truly know one another. Maybe it was because I knew it would probably be our last night together but the walls I had built up over time had came completely crushing down, leaving me bare for Jamie to truly see the person I was. And he did. His eyes locked in mine for the whole night, barely blinking as if he was too scared I would disappear in the blink of an eye. Jamie made me forget everything that was going on in my life, or at least eased my mind about it. There was not a single moment during those hours that made me want to focus about anything else but Jamie.

Sorry this is such a short chapter but I promise, the next ones are going to be better. 

I also want to apologize for the late updates as I have been hit by writer's block for this story, I feel like everything I write is forced and I'm not happy with. Anyways, I still appreciate you guys' every comments and votes and it really helps me going. 

If you also want to keep encouraging me, I have another Jamie Flatters book called One Of Them and if you are avatar fans, I am also publishing one titled Mighty Jewel. 

Love you all, 

-J