chapter six

DAY 12"Stop being on your phone, Char

DAY 12
"Stop being on your phone, Char." Gwen said through gritted teeth while putting her hand on the screen. "People are starting to arrive."

I looked up and realized she's right. I put away my phone in my bag and childishly sticked my tongue out at her. She only scrunched her nose as a response before refocusing her attention on the arriving crowd. We stood besides the couch not really knowing what to do at these kinds of parties. We didn't know anyone and no one knew us. We were outsiders.

"Is it weird for us to be here?" I whispered in Gwen's ear. She shook her head negatively.

"We're meant to be here. Just... act like you belong."

I frowned but she didn't notice, Gwen still looked forward trying to get someone important's attention. Act like I belong. I suddenly felt underdressed, not sophisticated enough. Act like I belong. I didn't. I wasn't used to dressing up, putting makeup and brushing my hair. I liked it but it felt like I was a completely different person. A doll changing outfits. I readjusted the straps on my shoulders and pulled a strand of my hair out of my face.

"Do I have lipstick on my teeth?"

"You're fine."

"You didn't even check?"

"Relax, Charlotte. You're fine." She said, holding my shoulders giving them a little shake, trying to brush away my paranoid feelings. "Go get a drink, it'll help with the nerves."

Gwen softly pushed me towards the bar. She was right. Maybe with the perfect amount of alcohol, I would feel like I belonged a little more. I walked to the bar and sat on a stool trying to get the barmaid's attention. She seemed busy. I waited for us to make eye contact.

"Hey girly, what can I do for you tonight?"

"I'll take a vodka-cranberry, please."

"Single or double?"

"Double."

"Coming right up." She exclaimed while jumping to the other side of the bar to make my drink.

I looked down to my purse to get money out of my wallet.

"Ouf, someone's ready to party." A deep British voice said, making me lift my head up in its direction. "I'd be carful if I were you, love." He nodded towards the glass being half full of vodka.

"I think I'll live." I smiled placing the money on the bar counter for the barmaid to see. She finished pouring the cranberry juice before placing it on the counter with a single napkin.