chapter four

"Gwen, why did you post this?" I said, showing her the phone across the table

"Showing the world you're mine." She grinned.

I chuckled to her comment and rolled my eyes. We were sitting at a table in the bar. In a dark corner at the back. A few empty glasses were still on it, looking like dead bodies. Gwen thought it would be a good idea to get out of the house. Usually, my Saturdays were calmer. Quieter. It included episodes of a tv series, some snacks and blankets. Many and heavy blankets. But tonight, I was sitting on a sticky and high stool of some downtown bar. The music was not so loud. It was still too early for it to be packed. The waitress arrived at our table with another round of drinks. Cocktails. A gin tonic for Gwen and an amaretto sour for me. I drank fast, sipping the liquid from a straw. I looked down at my phone lightning up due to a new notification.

"No phone." Gwen paused. "One night without your phone."

I groaned.

"I want you to actually be here. With me."

"I am here with you." I protested even if I knew exactly what she meant by it. "But if you insist."

I put my phone into my bag making sure to exaggerate my every moves so that Gwen noticed my effort. She scrunched her noses, making a sour face to my sarcastic response. I liked annoying her.

"Is it me or it's chilly in here?" I said as I put my jacket on.

"Take it off. You look hot."

Once again, I groaned as I do what she commanded. She liked annoying me too. Gwen's heads kept turning around looking for someone who might be interested. Gwen was in desperate need of attention. Especially from men. Deep down, I knew I should enjoy our night out more, but putting myself out there was difficult. Gwen should be happy I had at least accepted to go out tonight. Her eyes widened as she straightened her back and shoulders. I frowned. What's  happened?

"Hey." Some blond guy exclaimed, taking a seat besides Gwen. Bold.

"Hey." She answered with her flirtatious voice.

"What's your name?"

"Gwen." She nodded towards me. "This is Charlotte."

"Hi Charlotte." Another brunette guy arrived next to me, making me jump.

I awkwardly smiled to him and returned
my attention to my friend. She was now twirling a strand of her hair with one of her finger. I cringed to her woman fatal fake act. But I had to admit, she was good. She flirted with men like sirens sang to pirates. I, for one, preferred keeping my tricks for someone who was really worth of it. I was no open book.