✞ The incident ✞

For a couple of days now, Kira's investigation had taken a 360° turn. Light and Misa, your most likely and really only suspects, had been dismissed as Kira for lack of evidence that could convict them, even though you and L were absolutely certain not only that they were the original Kira, but that there was a plan behind it all to prove their innocence.

Indeed, it seemed that they had been manipulated. Especially Light, who was a totally different person. His pupils were more dilated, and he respected Misa much more. The first thing he did when he was released was to refuse to manipulate her, confessing that he had no idea how he had ended up with her and even hinting that he had always thought you were a much better match for him.

Either way, you and L were deeply depressed, literally tied together, or rather chained together, for the sake of the investigation. L had asked you to chain yourself to Misa so he could make sure she didn't go back to being Kira, and since you just wanted the case to be over and done with, not to mention being deeply in love with the detective, you had ended up agreeing to his request, now finding yourself twenty-four seven with the person you hated most in the world.

Anyway, the four of you were sitting around drinking tea, on what was supposed to be a date between Misa and Light, but ended up being a silent, awkward moment where the only sound was Misa's grumbling, puffing out her cheeks and glaring at L with her eyes.

"Do they really have to be watching us all the time?" the blonde complained, though she already knew the answer.

"You know they do, Misa," Light replied, knowing that by this point neither of you would be speaking to her after asking that question every day. "I told you it would be better if we didn't do this for a while, we have too much to do to waste time on a date."

"In fact, now that neither of you are suspects there's not much we can do," said L, his voice hoarse and his gaze fixed on his playful feet.

"Another reason to get back to work," said Light. "We need to look for clues before more innocent people die."

"If Kira could control you and get rid of you when he no longer needed you, then there's nothing we can do," you said, knowing that L was the only reason you hadn't given up on the investigation after everything that had happened.

"Come on, don't be so childish, just because your perfect deduction was wrong are you going to behave this way? We risked our lives from the start to help you with the investigation, what's the point if you're going to give up? What was the point of locking Misa and me up?"

"Don't shout," you said, covering your ears in disgust at his voice, "Everything we've done so far has been practically useless, there seems to be no point in trying anymore, is that so hard to understand?"

Light watched you for several minutes in silence before he stood up from where he was sitting to stand in front of you and hug you against his chest, resting his chin on your head as he rubbed your hair, sighing.

"I know you're depressed, but you're not alone, okay?" he whispered against your ear.

You were completely flushed. Light had been very flirtatious from the start, but he'd never tried anything, let alone in front of Misa, and you'd definitely ruled out that he was going to give you a hug like that, which, while it seemed to be just an act of friendship, didn't explain the gentle caresses on your back.

Misa let out a high-pitched scream, causing him to react and pull away from you, looking at her while feigning innocence. You had never seen Misa so angry, she was red, and she lunged towards you to punch you in the face, surprised that you reacted quickly enough to stop her, staring into her eyes sternly.

"Think a little before you act." You warned her, knowing she was going to try to do something else either way.

"Well, don't try to steal my boyfriend," she complained, "It's not fair, you have Ryusaki."

L looked up at you, not understanding where her comment was coming from. You just shrugged, concentrating on not blushing, not noticing that Misa was preparing to hit you once more, grabbing your hair and slapping you, to which you responded by grabbing her wrists, using your strength to throw her to the ground where you wanted to kick her in the head, but instead you raised your fist, feeling a big, warm hand on yours, which you immediately recognised thanks to the fact that you were looking at Light. 

It was him. He was touching you for the first time in all the time you'd been investigating together.

"Please don't do this," he said, misinterpreting how you felt by the way your hand tightened on his. "This is so ridiculous it's not even worth it."

You looked up at him, your heart pounding against your chest at a thousand miles an hour. You half-opened your lips to say something, anything, but could only lower your head, feeling Misa stand up through the chains.

"Alright," you broke free of his grip, glaring at Misa. "Anyway, I'd be careful if I were you. We sleep in the same room and I always stay awake until you fall asleep." 

Misa stuck her tongue out at you. 

Before you had a chance to sit up, you felt L's hand on your chin, lifting it as he looked you straight in the eye, bringing his face close to yours. You held your breath, he was so close you could smell his strawberry-flavoured breath, just like the cake he had eaten He caressed your cheek gently and you closed your eyes instinctively, thinking your heart would explode inside your chest.

"Yes, just as I thought," he said, making you react. "Your cheek will be red for a couple of hours. We'd better get Watari to put something on it before it hurts."