✞ Makeup ✞

You and Misa had become best friends. As the only women in the task force, despite your differences, and against all odds, you had managed to become close and spent a lot of time together. So much so that every time Misa went to an event you also accompanied her, you had even appeared on the cover of a magazine trying on clothes in a shop. Being with her was making you relatively famous, though, of course, it wasn't something you cared much about, you were there to catch Kira after all.

That night you and Misa had gone out to a party in commemoration of her birthday and were heading back to HQ early so you could end the day with a dinner with the members of the task force and of course, Light. But as soon as you walked through the door, laughing as you talked about something that had happened at the party, everyone turned their gaze to you, who was unrecognisable. Your hair wasn't up and styled like it normally was, and your face was sensuously made up with red lipstick, blush, and long black eyelashes. You looked like a movie star, and the dress Misa had chosen for you, as tight and small as the ones she wore, made your figure stand out like never before. They knew you were pretty but they never imagined you had such a body. Their faces were flushed, Matsuda even had his mouth open, not taking his eyes off your long legs.

"I can't believe it!" exclaimed Matsuda, coming up to you to greet you. "You look amazing, (Y/N)."

"I know, it's too much, isn't it?"

"You both look beautiful," Light interjected. "I trust you were able to take care of yourselves from any man who looked at you"

"You have no idea. (Y/N) had to turn down twice as many guys as me, though of course, that's because they already know you and I are together."

"I don't doubt it. It's amazing what this makeup does for you, you look like a different person." Added Matsuda.

"That's because I don't normally wear make-up," you blushed. "It's work, so I don't even wear lipstick."

"Wait a minute, (Y/N). Are you telling us that you don't even wear a bit of make-up?" Matsuda didn't seem to believe you.

"That's just what I said, did it seem like otherwise?"

"No, it's just that-"

"You're incredibly beautiful, (Y/N)," Light interjected. "I never thought your lips would naturally be this pink. And your skin looks too perfect to be real."

"Hey, you never say those things about me," Misa complained.

"Oh, I'm sorry, Misa, I thought you already knew that," he excused himself. "Anyway, shall we go to the dining room to cut the cake?"

"Cake is fattening," the blonde complained.

"There are many sizes, there's only one life." You spoke.

"Easy for you to say, (Y/N). You've been hiding your true body all this time," Aizawa commented.

"I'm still the same person, I don't know why you act so surprised. Did you expect me to come to work in this kind of clothes?"

To tell you the truth, most women did, and the fact that you didn't reminded them of how different you were from everyone else. You might look like any other girl in her twenties, but the more they got to know you, the more they were sure you belonged on the same planet as L. You were both equally innocent.

You all went to eat cake in the dining room, sharing jokes and compliments with each other, until it got pretty late and everyone was starting to leave. You took a piece of cake with a cherry on top to take to L. You knew Watari had taken some to him, but you liked having that gesture, no matter how much he insisted it wasn't necessary. Maybe it wasn't, but it was the kind of thing you did for your friends and after spending years working on the case with him you liked L quite a lot, lately, you thought even more than as a friend.

You didn't want to distract him from what he was checking on his computer, and you set his plate aside, wishing him goodnight before turning to go to your room.

"(Y/N)," he stopped you, turning your head towards him. You're not going to start coming to work dressed like that, are you?

"No, of course not. It would be inappropriate, wouldn't it?"

"No," he confessed, "But I honestly think you look better the way you've been coming to the quarters for as long as I've known you. You don't need any of those things, and we already have enough of a Misa Amane."

"Of course. Don't worry about it."

"I don't, I know you're too smart for that," he stood up from his chair, facing you. "Tell me, were there really any boys bothering you at the party you went to?"

"A bit, but not in a bad way, they just wanted to hang out with me."

"Would it bother you if I tried something like that?" He looked you straight in the eye, to which you opened your lips, not knowing what to say. "I get the impression that you like me more than the rest of the team, and I'm curious as to why."

"You're a good person, you're smart, and you're the only one who seems to understand me here. That's not so strange, is it?"

"I guess not. But to be honest with you, I have a suspicion that you're attracted to me," you blushed, lowering your gaze. "And now that I see your reaction, I really have no doubt of it."

"L, please don't take me off the task force. I wasn't planning to do anything about it, and it hasn't distracted me from my work at all. I want to help you, and just because I like you doesn't mean we have to actually be together."

"Yes, I know. And don't worry, I wasn't planning on kicking you off the force. You're an indispensable member of this investigation. It's just that," he stopped suddenly, thinking something through before letting out a long sigh, "I think I have feelings for you too. I have no way of knowing for sure because I've never felt this way before, but I know there's something about you that makes me curious, and a need to be closer."

Your heart was going to explode inside your chest. This guy was adorable.

"I have an idea," you smiled, "If you agree, I could kiss you."

"Huh?"

"Yeah. If you're attracted to me, then when I kiss you, it should feel good. And if you're just confused, it shouldn't be a big deal, would you want to try?"

Would L want to try? From the moment he saw you all he had been able to do was watch your lips, especially when you smiled or ate a lollipop. He agreed with Light, your lips were a beautiful colour, though he particularly loved your eyes. Your big eyes reflecting his figure as he spoke, with that sparkle he'd never seen in anyone before, was what finally made him understand that you meant something more to him, no matter how much he fought against it.

He nodded, his heart beating fiercely against his chest as he felt your soft, sweet lips meet his in a quick, tender kiss before pulling away to watch your expression. He looked as calm as ever. He put his thumb to his lip, looking down as a small smile escaped him.

"I think we need to repeat the experiment to be sure of the results," he whispered, losing his usual posture so that he could cup your cheeks in his hands and kiss you.

Inexperienced though he was, he knew exactly what he wanted, and before long he deepened the kiss, grabbing you by the waist to pull you closer to him, unconsciously, clinging to you as he enjoyed the subtle scent of your perfume. When you broke apart for lack of air you knew two things for sure: one, you were definitely attracted to L. More than you had imagined. And two, L was not as innocent as he seemed. He knew exactly what he had triggered in you and was practically laughing at your flushed cheeks.

"Yes, I'm definitely in love with you," he finally broke the silence, "Are you still not going to do anything about it?"

"Well, if you're willing to..."

"More than willing. You're the only woman I've ever been attracted to like this. I wouldn't want to let you go."