✞ Hero ✞

You were visiting one of the houses that was being watched for the Kira case. You didn't want to be there, you liked the independence you had gained after so long, and seeing your family was not a particularly happy occasion.

Since you were a child, you had been very strange, possibly you had some psychological disorder that did not allow you to communicate with others easily, and your family in Japan had made fun of this problem because you were not as intelligent or outstanding as your other cousins, or so they thought. You discovered as soon as you became independent and went to university that you were actually an excellent student, and although you didn't manage to make friends until much later, it was clear that your family had been a bad influence and lowered your self-esteem, even if they hadn't meant to hurt you.

But what scared you most was not having to go back to a house full of those bad memories, but meeting your cousin's friend, who as a teenager had been a perverted bastard and had tried to rape you on more than one occasion, your cousin always saving you by the bell, except for the last time, when you knew he would go home to play video games while your uncles were away, so you left a couple of items on hand in case he tried anything.

You weren't wrong. You had to hit him over the head with a vase and your laptop, which was smashed in the process, but you managed to escape from his hands, never to return. This was the first time since then that you had been forced to visit them, because of the death of your father, who had left unfinished business in Japan.

Since he started watching you, L had noticed something suspicious, to say the least, strange about your behaviour. He had worked enough cases to know that the presence of your family made you nervous, but he had no way of knowing why. There was nothing in your records to say what you had been through, so when he saw you acting peculiarly odd that day, he didn't hesitate to give you his full attention from the monitors, watching your every move as you watched cousin's friend enter the house, greeting you with a hug that was more affectionate than was acceptable.

You ran to your room and locked your door, grabbed your desk chair, and placed it against the door, putting heavy things on top of it so he couldn't move it, and then moving the bed behind it as an extra precaution. You knew that possibly the worst decision had been to hide in the room, but if your family had invited him knowing what he had done to you, you didn't think you could count on them to defend you if he tried to do anything.

Anyway, with your breath hitching, you pressed your ear to the door, listening for anyone approaching, but you were too late. In a matter of seconds, a strong man pushed the door open even after everything you had put in, having no problem taking you out too in the process. Your cousin's friend looked at what you had done with a smile on his lips, for him you were just playing hard to get. You ran to where you had your autographed baseball and held it up as a threat if he tried to touch you.

L looked at the scene unsure of what to do. It was unlikely you were Kira, but if he was in that house and hadn't yet seen the cameras, stopping what was going on would announce he was watching, so he clenched his fists in frustration as he saw the terror in your eyes.

Your cousin's friend came up to you and grabbed you around the waist with one hand as he took the ball from you with the other, making sure to squeeze your wrist so you knew he was definitely stronger than you. You started screaming for help, listening to the murmurs of your family saying you were fighting again, not knowing what was really going on. You tried to break free from his grip, but he covered your mouth and didn't care if you bit his hand, and that was all it took for L to lose his mind.

He had only been watching you for a few days, but he thought you were quite attractive and sweet, and he wasn't going to let them do anything to you when you had tried to avoid conflict at all costs. Besides, if someone so strong and independent as you were, was so scared of someone like that, then it must be really dangerous.

He thought about calling Watari to take charge, or the police in any case, but he had seen you for long enough to want to take charge in person. To him, you were the kind of woman he would date if his job and his secret identity didn't prevent it, and he wasn't going to let anyone take your smile away from you. The hotel where he was staying was only a couple of streets away from the house where you were staying, so without thinking twice, he decided to go himself, standing up from his chair without saying a word while Watari followed and the rest of the team just watched him, as he never left the computer.

He opened the door to the house, walking past your family as if he himself lived there, leaving Watari to explain what was going on. He opened the door to your room, grabbed your cousin's friend by the shirt, and pulled him back, kicking him in the chin to knock him to the floor, watching him as he used every fibre of his being to restrain himself from beating the shit out of him.

He looked up into your teary, surprised eyes, leaning closer to you to make sure he hadn't hurt you, sighing as he saw that you were physically fine. You threw yourself into his arms to hug him, not caring who he was or how he had found out what was happening. He put a hand on your back, smiling next to your ear as he decided that if he survived the Kira case, he would definitely look for you to ask you out sometime.