✞ Boyfriend ✞

The investigation was practically at a standstill. Every now and then you got new information, and you were still trying to get clues as to who Kira was and how on earth he had such killing power, but since Light and Misa had come out of isolation you weren't as busy as you had been months before. Although at first that had created a depressing and dull atmosphere, eventually everyone in the task force was able to see the bright side of things. You and L, especially, because you spent a lot of time together having long conversations, no longer necessarily about the case, and you enjoyed each other's company very much. It was no secret to anyone that you had a special connection, not only because you thought alike, but because you were equally rare and seemed to come from the same planet.

Lately, however, things were escalating quite a bit. Their friendship was slowly transforming, without either of you intending it, into at the very least flirtation on the part of both of you, making jokes or complimenting each other more than necessary. You realised that it had gone too far when you started feeding each other with cake, just as Misa wanted to do with Light. And you didn't stop even after the two of you understood that you were gradually behaving like a couple. You didn't see it as necessary. All that mattered was that you were both happy with the way things were, until the turning point came.

While you were out on a mission, the headquarters was monitoring you through cameras and microphones, watching your every move. You were infiltrating a group of young people who were praising for Kira, and although none of them were suspicious, you were there in case Kira decided to show up at the site to meet with any of them, as he had done to recruit his last spokesperson.

It was pleasing for you to meet other people who were also against Kira, and were there for the same reason as you. Though not with the police, of course. They were simply vigilantes on their own. The one who particularly caught your attention was a guy who came up to you to lecture you on why Kira was not someone worth praising, showing you a strong sense of justice that made you confess that you had no admiration for him at all, and that you were really just there "with a friend". Although you tried to concentrate, the boy was so fascinated by your way of expressing yourself that he stayed with you, chatting, while asking you to help him find any kind of suspicious behaviour.

The more time went by, the clearer his interest in you became, which didn't really interest you, or L to be honest, until, when he saw you were about to leave, and asked you out on a date. You stopped short not knowing what to say. There was no reason to say no. He was smart, he was cute, the only problem was that he wasn't L. However, since you hadn't defined the relationship, that left you wondering what your answer should be. You didn't want to say no and have L feel compromised, or say yes and have him think you were interested in seeing other people. In the end you took a big breath before shrugging your shoulders, blushing.

"Sorry, I have a boyfriend," you said, walking back to the barracks exhausted.

When you got to where the others were sitting, you noticed that they were watching you. Of course, they weren't blind, they knew you were in love with L, but they didn't think you would take that step. And you and he were so close that believing that you were together was more plausible than believing you had lied. Anyway, you pretended not to notice that the attention was on you, and you sat next to L as you normally did, without looking up from the computer, just like he did.

It got late and you were planning to go home. You grabbed your stuff and left the building, but before you had a chance to call a taxi your phone started ringing. It was him.

"Yes?"

"I'm sorry I was so quiet earlier," you raised your eyebrows when you realised he wasn't using his voice filter. "It's just that the whole situation with the guy took me by surprise."

"Me too," you laughed, flustered. "It was pretty awkward."

You're telling him. The seconds it took you to tell him no were the longest seconds of his life. He hadn't stopped to think about it, but he didn't think he could do something like see you with another man, much less see you treat someone else the way you treated him. You were a very special woman and it didn't bother him that other men looked at you, there were those who did in the same headquarters, including Light, but that whole experience served to discover that it did bother him that you saw other men as more than just friends.

"Were you serious, (Y/N)?" He asked, looking at you from his bedroom window. "Do you consider me your boyfriend?"

"Well, if I'm honest I was just lying because I'm not interested in him, only in you," you confessed.

"But that's just what it means to want to be a couple, isn't it?"

"Yes, I suppose it is," you blushed. "L, would you like to be my boyfriend?"

"That's exactly what I'm saying," your heart was beating fast, smiling. "Would you mind staying a while so we can talk about this?"

"I'd love to."

You hung up the phone and went back to the hotel. Not bad, huh? Now you were dating the best, no, the three best detectives in the world.

"I told you I wasn't going to die alone, Mom," you muttered to yourself as you pushed the lift buttons.