✞ The secret ✞

One of your worst fears was coming true. You had been married to L for two years, and having become his wife you knew that having children was totally out of the question for the two of you. Taking care of L was like taking care of a child, an extremely intelligent one. In addition, his job meant that the two of you spent little time at your home in England, but rather travelling the world solving cases. That was no life for a child, but now you seemed to have no choice.

You were exactly one month late. You were quite irregular so you hadn't panicked at first, but one morning while helping Watari prepare breakfast as you did every day, you felt an intense sense of repulsion as you prepared the simplest thing like bacon for your pancakes, which left you wondering and you decided to buy a pregnancy test at a pharmacy. It came back positive. You went the next day and bought another one. It was also positive. But you still couldn't believe it, you were very careful, and while it's true that L was quite wild at bed sometimes, that hadn't been a problem in your eight-plus-year relationship.

You arranged with Watari to take you to a clinic without L knowing about it, which shouldn't be too difficult because he was very busy with a case and knew that the two of you were constantly leaving the house to go buy his sweets or just to take a break. So, you went for blood tests, waiting for the longest hour of your life before you got the definitive results: you were pregnant.

You stopped to throw up in one of the trashcans in the car park. Everything was wrong. You had no idea how to care for a baby with the lifestyle you were leading, and you feared it would be the end of your relationship with L, considering how needy and jealous he was. He didn't seem like father material in your eyes, no matter how sweet he was to the kids at the orphanage. This was not the same.

Watari tried to comfort you along the way, promising to help you in any way necessary and to keep L in check if things got out of hand. Anyway, you had to manage to stay calm and figure out how to tell him, taking a big breath of air before entering the house with L's favourite sweets to lessen the shock of the news.

As usual, you found him sitting with his back to his computer on his desk in the living room, his papers a mess on the couch.

"So, was it positive?" he asked you, not taking his eyes off the computer.

"What? Did you know?" You opened your eyes wide. You had been careful. Of course, that's what you had thought before the test came back positive...

"(Y/N) Please, you tried to hide something from the world's greatest detective," he stood up and walked to stand in front of you. "You've been acting strange and you seem to be terrified of the kitchen. The other day I saw you stare at your clothes for long minutes before you sighed and kept rearranging them. Also, the day you took your first test you spent forty-five minutes in the bathroom. Even when you've been sick you don't do that."

"And why didn't you say anything?"

"I could ask you the same question," he looked at the paper in your hand. It was the results. "Well? "

Your eyes were watery, and Watari's hand was on your shoulder. Your expression broke down. You didn't want anything between you two to change. You were happy the way things were. You didn't want this to be a reason to lose the relationship you had built up so hard with L.

Then, as you covered your face with both hands between sobs, you felt L wrap his arms around you as he stroked your hair, taking your hands off your face so he could give you a little kiss on the nose.

"So, I'm going to be a father, huh?"

"I'm so sorry..."

"It's not your fault. And it's not mine either. I guess these things happen," he took the paper to look it over, reading the word positive over and over again before giving you a little smile. "I hope it's a girl."

"You're not angry?"

"I am. You went for tests without telling me, and kept it from me that you suspected you were pregnant," he sighed. "But I guess I understand. I'm kind of difficult after all."

"I don't know what we're going to do," you cried against his chest.

"I have no idea either. But we're the two smartest people I know. We've been able to solve every case that's come along, how hard can it be to raise a child?" he scoffed. "And yes, I definitely don't like the idea of having to share you, but if it's a girl I think it'll be nice to hold her and take care of her."

"What if it's a boy?"

"If it's a boy," he put a hand to his chin, thoughtfully. "I guess I'm not the one who should worry."

You laughed, relieved. You knew he was doing his best not to scare you, but you also knew that what he was saying was true. Luckily, the two of you had talked about a situation like this in the past, and you had a plan so that L could spend as much time with you and the baby as possible. You had known that all along, but now that it was real, everything felt different.

You had a life growing inside you. The fruit of your love with L.